Dynadot

How was your experience with HostGator?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Haris

Best Domainer Of The End-TimesTop Member
Impact
Hi all,

All of you would know by now that now the best discounted rate on GoDaddy is about 9$ for .com's using codes 'phd3' and 'rev10'. So many domainers are looking for a registrar that has lower price rates but good service.

I found about names.co.uk here on namepros which is registering .com's for 2 GBP, that's 3 USD. And there is no limit, one customer can register multiple domains. I registered a few domains but realized that they have the worst service ever! I mean worse than 1&1 !! The fees got deducted instantly but they took 24+ hours to register a domain while other registrars register the domain at the very minute the fees gets deducted from our accounts. I just read and have submitted a ticket to confirm that they charge 12$ if we transfer our domain to other registrars!

Now I think HostGator is next for me with 6$ per year for .com's but it's better to ask the Pros about their experience with this registrar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes exactly my path and really bad experience, with domains that out of the blue disapper from the dashboard of the account

•••
Hostgator affiliate program sucks!!!! Do not waste your time on them.

•••
I usually register new domains on godaddy for about $8 through their annual discount domain club, got a coupon for the club which made it a bit cheaper. I've registered a few domains with hostgator and never really had a problem. I noticed sometimes hostgator seems to park them automatically and then when you try to move them they can get sort of stuck but a quick chat with support usually resolves it. Hostgator for just hosting has been a super cheap solution. Complex sites can be slow on their shared hosting and cache type plugins help for wordpress sites. If you host a lot of wordpress sites on hostgator shared service you go over some file limit fairly quickly and automatic backups stop working. You can just make your own backups though with cpanel etc. I've never made any money on hostgator's reseller program. I think a lot of their coupons are sort of hard to understand. It sounds like you're getting 20% off the whole package deal but it's really 20% off the first month, so if you are paying in advance for a year or two the discount you get from the coupon thingy is kind of meaningless. The prepayment discount is more significant.

•••
After dealing with 10's of registrars, I have came to the conclusion that whether it's the price, control panel or customer support, GoDaddy is better than every other registrar in every aspect.

•••
I've never regged domains with them, but website-wise they're the only hosting service I've used. I found their interface very user-friendly, their prices very reasonable and their live chat customer service very good.

I'll think twice about registering domains with them after reading these comments though.

•••
I've never regged domains with them, but website-wise they're the only hosting service I've used. I found their interface very user-friendly, their prices very reasonable and their live chat customer service very good.

I'll think twice about registering domains with them after reading these comments though.
One annoying thing about godaddy lately is that their bulk domain search returns false positive hits. It says domains are available but when you try to register them it says they are taken.

•••
I wouldn't bother with HostGator. I have been with them for about 10 years, however am in the process of transferring my sites to another hosting reseller solution. HostGator was purchased by Endurance International Group (EIG). Since the sale, the customer support has dwindled to just about nil. I wouldn't have noticed if not for a few bad issues that came up with some of my clients hosted accounts. For the last two tickets, the response time was over 15 days - one of them was 2.5 months! No kidding. In the end the great price is not worth losing clients on my end. So in conclusion, HostGator was once great, but have fallen from grace.

I believe HostGator may be reselling domains via Enom - it would make sense as prior you could open a free reseller account with Enom if you were a hosting reseller at HostGator. This is conjecture, but I wonder what comes up when you do a Whois for a HostGator registered domain name? Namecheap does the same thing - good company, but basically an enom reseller still.

Good luck.

•••
That's an EIG company! The same people that own iPage, Fatcow and others. If their hosting scams carry over to their domains dept., be prepared for a HUGE pain and stress like you have never even thought possible!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back