Dynadot

How to see if domain was sold

NameSilo
Watch

Paperhand

Established Member
Impact
Another beginner's question, hope the answers might be interesting for other readers as well.

I am interested in a domain which was for sale up until recently, that had a domain escrow landing page. As it was taken down, I wonder whether it was already sold or not. Does it reflect in the whois registry, with the updated on - date? or is there any other way to figure this out, besides paying the broker fee for godaddy or others to make an offer to the owner?

Thanks again!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
check on namebio.com some marketplaces will report the sales on there also check when whois was changed might help you find out if the domain changed hands recently

•••
I don't think there is a way to know for sure unless someone reports the sale, but looking at the Whois you can sometimes catch them. Although these are not guaranteed signs of sales.

Eg. you can look at the last updated date, and also the status. Below is an example of a sold domain and if you look at the status it just says "ok".

1683075222977.png

Normally a domain will have transfer lock on so this should look something like this if it hasn't sold but did have an update. Below is an example of a domain that was "updated" today but we can see it is locked so probably wasn't a sale.

1683075278758.png

Again, this is still not guaranteed that it was or wasn't a sale but as far as I know this is the closest you can get without someone reporting the sale.

•••
great, thanks for the valuable infos, helps a lot!

•••
I think you just put your desired domain name in the domain provider such as godaddy.com ..

•••
is there any other way to figure this out
Yes, there are other way, for example check NamePros
(NOTE: you will find reseller prices in best case, if post was not edited/removed). For example, I just find that my domain NameInbox.com was sold 10+ years ago on NamePros
1684237403089.png

1684237498244.png

1684237664883.png

•••
Normally a domain will have transfer lock on so this should look something like this if it hasn't sold but did have an update. Below is an example of a domain that was "updated" today but we can see it is locked so probably wasn't a sale.

1683075278758.png
here there is Possibility that the Domain has been pushed to the same Registrar after the sale (Since Domain is under 2 Month Lock period)

•••
here there is Possibility that the Domain has been pushed to the same Registrar after the sale (Since Domain is under 2 Month Lock period)
Say the " Updated on : 2023- 05-10 " With " Status : Client Transfer Prohibited " then the Domain has been pushed to the same Registrar after a probable sale

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back