IT.COM

question How to prevent domain name searches from being stolen?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Name Invest

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

I don't know what methods you use to search for available domain names, personally I usually check their availability on Google Domains (I find their interface quite convenient for searches).

Lately I felt like looking for new domains to buy, and it turns out that a domain name that had not been re-registered since 2009 has just been registered barely a day after I detected it.... funny coincidence!

I suspect that some people are monitoring the searches made from some registrars, but maybe I'm a bit of a conspiracy buff...

If this is the case, how can we avoid having some domain names "stolen" as soon as they are detected?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’ve read about GoDaddy front running and doing other shady stuff so that’s why I don’t use them.

I do omit the extension when I search for a keyword. For example, on Namecheap, I type a keyword “crypto” and then search. This brings up crypto in all extensions on Namecheap. So Namecheap would never know which exact domain I was interested in, just the keyword.
Oh wow, I thought it was my imagination that this was happening

•••
Procrastination can be worst in almost all situations, not just domaining.
Yeah well you need deep pockets to buy "every" good domain as soon as you see its available at a registrar.

•••
Okay, so day 1 results. I have a list of 490 names that are interesting to me. It is a list of 2 word combinations for an industry I am in. I am using bulk search at a registrar. Out of 490, 115 are available to hand reg, 2 are listed for sale, and the rest are registered and avail for backorder only. I am going to register a few of these today... will run the list tomorrow same time.

And yes, these are all domain names that make sense. I will NOT release the list (I am potential buyer for all of these, this is not some made up garbage domains. lol.) I will however disclose the registrar I am testing this with. Will then do same tests at various registrars.

•••
Okay, so day 1 results. I have a list of 490 names that are interesting to me. It is a list of 2 word combinations for an industry I am in. I am using bulk search at a registrar. Out of 490, 115 are available to hand reg, 2 are listed for sale, and the rest are registered and avail for backorder only. I am going to register a few of these today... will run the list tomorrow same time.

And yes, these are all domain names that make sense. I will NOT release the list (I am potential buyer for all of these, this is not some made up garbage domains. lol.) I will however disclose the registrar I am testing this with. Will then do same tests at various registrars.
Okay, and I registered 20 of those names.

•••

24 hour change... 95 names now available after I registered 20 out of the 115. This means in the past 24 hours, no other names which I searched for registered.

•••
Yes, I've had the same thing happen to me when using NameCheap, literally was registered the same or next day I searched it, I know this because I went back a few days later to register the domain and it was taken.

I totally believe they do monitor them, because I've used a MineCraft username checker before, and it would log all the available names and list them on display on their site when you've found one that is available.

Live and learn.

•••
Front running is real, alive and well. i moved 700 domains from godaddy because of that. its not my imagination. i was half luke warm on a domain, put in basket, (godaddy), walked away. a short time later, not available. called, to tell them to knock that shit off, they say, looks like someone bought it sir, but would you like to pay a broker fee? a few days later, available again.
recently, i tried cosmotown. domain comes up as unavailable. i went right to sav and regged. went back to cosmotown, typed in jibberish...and was available. perhaps some type of error?

•••
Front running is real, alive and well. i moved 700 domains from godaddy because of that. its not my imagination. i was half luke warm on a domain, put in basket, (godaddy), walked away. a short time later, not available. called, to tell them to knock that shit off, they say, looks like someone bought it sir, but would you like to pay a broker fee? a few days later, available again.
recently, i tried cosmotown. domain comes up as unavailable. i went right to sav and regged. went back to cosmotown, typed in jibberish...and was available. perhaps some type of error?
Cosmotown is good from price perspective but their UI have issues and is slow this days, you need to do a couple of (CTRL + F5) then it will show the doman as available, sometimes you have to wait until it show as available due to slowness.
Second they show price of premium domains as simple domains, when you order it fails with error in backend.
Third domains that you move to other registrar stay there, you must contact them so they will remove them manually. :D
In short you get for what you paid.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back