IT.COM

How to negotiate with buyer that won't make an offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TampaDomains

Established Member
Impact
So I have a good geo domain for local plastic surgeons. I sent out some emails and only got 1 response back.
I stated $495 in the email, he emails and says he is interested but the price is too high for him, can I come off the price.

lol, its always the people with the most money that wan't to negotiate the hardest.

I respond that its a fair price and that he is making $1000's from each new client and this domain will be working for him 24/7 to get him new clients.

He responds the price is too high for him and if i can't sell it then get back to him for further discussion.

He has a very successful office with lots of 5/5 reviews so he is making serious bank but crying about price when he could be making $1000's with new clients instead of wasting time. Also I have email tracking and he looked at the original email about 8 times through out the day, so he is for sure interested.

I email back that I could lease it to him for $75 a month and he responds that he would only want to buy it.

What is my play from here?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
his assets, don't necessarily define the budget for your domain.

and...... since YOU contacted HIM, he has leverage.

as you say, he's already "making serious bank".

so from his perspective and your perspective of him, is your name necessary?

imo...

•••
Thank him for his kind offer, tell him you will try to find other buyers. Do not email him again.

•••
your price is already low, i would just offer $50 off the price

•••
Thank him for his kind offer, tell him you will try to find other buyers. Do not email him again.

He never really made an offer. I am not in a hurry to sell it anyway, I just got it a couple of weeks ago.
It is always nice to start the month off with a sale tho. lol

•••
your price is already low, i would just offer $50 off the price

I thought I mentioned that in OP but I guess I forgot to. My 1st reply back after re stating benefits and saying it was a fair price, I said I would take $450.

•••
He offered that you get back to him if you can not sell, you should thank him for this offer, be very polite about it do not come off as angry, tell him you will try to sell it somewhere else, wish him a great day.

He may email you in a few days or may not. If it is a good domain it will sell eventually. If not you can get back to him in like 1 month before you decide to drop it.

•••
•••
•••
how can folks give pricing advice, when they don't even know what the domain name is?

You got a point but asking price is 495 and the guy wants the domain , but also wants a discount , hence my solution .

•••
You got a point but asking price is 495 and the guy wants the domain , but also wants a discount , hence my solution .

maybe the asking price is too low

and the guy never said he wanted the name, just said "get back if you can't sell it"

•••
how can folks give pricing advice, when they don't even know what the domain name is?

i just said it was low cause I think any domain for a few hundred to an end user is low

Last edited:
•••
Yeah asking price could be low but op is asking another question ...

•••
Patience is the key here. It depends on you and "how bad you need the cash"

And don't send repeated mails/multiple mails to him(less than 5 mails) and he may think your domain is desirable to him only and you'll be ended up with nothing.

•••
Like I said getting a sale early in the month is always nice, to start covering new domain purchases for the month. But I still have 11 months on this and would for sure spend a whole $8.50 to renew it for another year if I couldn't sell it.

If he was thinking $150-$200 then forget it but if he would do $350 then its worth it just to clear it off the books. but because he won't make an offer, I don't know. lol

•••
•••
Based on the way he is handling it it appears to me that he doesn't really need this domain. It's a "nice to have" to him not a "need to have". He doesn't seem to have a problem with his competitors buying the domain instead of him.

The problem you have is that IF you go back to him with a better offer, it's very likely that he is going to low ball the cr@p outta you. Reason being is that he told you that IF you can't sell it then get back to him. So if you get back to him then in his mind it could mean that nobody else was interested, making him your only hope. Which means he can pretty much dictate the price....

Maybe it would be best to rather keep contacting other plastic surgeons in the area to see if you can sell the domain to them rather.

•••
Ask him what his budget is, if that price is something you would be interested in then sell it and move along.

•••
1) create a sales page and redirect the domain to the sales page
(sedo/afternc / or where you want)

2) there set a price tag of $888
2a ) let the domain itself resolve on that page

3) let him know that your best price is $488 USD and that offer is valid only 14 days from now

4) include the domain ( having redirected it ) (clickable) in that email

5) wish him all the best for his his future

•••
The obviously solution is to ask him to make an offer. Then you can either agree to it or reject it. I had a similar situation the other day. Potential buyer said it was way to high and to contact again if price is reduced. I asked them to make an offer and they did. It was too low. I suggested another price and they agreed. Don't overcomplicate it. Sell it for less and move on. You may never get another offer.

•••
If he was thinking $150-$200 then forget it but if he would do $350 then its worth it just to clear it off the books. but because he won't make an offer, I don't know. lol

It seems you've answered your own question, so the sale is yours to lose, IMO. Politely reply back with your bottom line, and move on with life. He knows how to reach you if he decides to buy.

Best of luck.

•••
I deal with geo's a lot. So you have to start your price in the 1895 or 2895. Something with an 8 in it. Look at how others price names. Buydomains etc. They do this for a reason. It's all psycho-----

Depending on name it could be $1895 or $2895 or even higher. You have eat this one you started your price way to low. You have no room for negotiate. Forget about this one. Re do it at higher price.

Don't cheapen your name. If this name is not a .com don't even bother try selling it.

Here is secret you want attention take 10 doctors send them a certified letter letting them know this is for sale and let them know the following doctors in the same radius and same field will be being offered the name. You must package this domain like a christmas present. You either sell the "fear" that someone else may get this name or the "greed" that someone may make more money than they will and take customers away. @ 30 bucks all you need is one person, if they counter offer at a reasonable price then take it. Rule 2 never make the client pay for escrow fees you pay for them.:))))

Donny

•••
Put up a buy it now page. Price it at $494.99.

Email him. "Okay, you win, I've discounted it. Click here."

:)

•••
I deal with geo's a lot. So you have to start your price in the 1895 or 2895. Something with an 8 in it. Look at how others price names. Buydomains etc. They do this for a reason. It's all psycho-----

Depending on name it could be $1895 or $2895 or even higher. You have eat this one you started your price way to low. You have no room for negotiate. Forget about this one. Re do it at higher price.

Don't cheapen your name. If this name is not a .com don't even bother try selling it.

Here is secret you want attention take 10 doctors send them a certified letter letting them know this is for sale and let them know the following doctors in the same radius and same field will be being offered the name. You must package this domain like a christmas present. You either sell the "fear" that someone else may get this name or the "greed" that someone may make more money than they will and take customers away. @ 30 bucks all you need is one person, if they counter offer at a reasonable price then take it. Rule 2 never make the client pay for escrow fees you pay for them.:))))

Donny

I am much happier selling 5 or 10 a month at $350 and profiting every month than putting up crazy prices and selling 1 a year and losing money every month.

I always offer to split the $25 escrow with them and nobody ever said a word about it, that was fine with them.

•••
Put up a buy it now page. Price it at $494.99.

Email him. "Okay, you win, I've discounted it. Click here."

:)

My 1st reply to his inquiry was $450 down from $495 and he said too high.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back