IT.COM

advice How to keep email tied to domain being transferred?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi

I’m buying a domain name from an individual who wants to keep their email address tied to that domain name. Is there a way I can let them keep their email address if they sold it to me? Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes you could set up an email for them and maintain it but then if you sold the domain l you’d need to pass this responsibility on to whoever bought the domain.

Think of it like you’re the owner of a company that owns a domain/website and you’re setting up an email for an employee. However when you set up this new email the old emails in the server might all disappear so your seller might need to transfer the old emails to his computer via something like MSFT Outlook before the domain name server change.

This is one way to handle the issue anyway, and doesn’t involve giving the old owner any control over any DNS or MX.

Last edited:
•••
I don't recommend it. Why would you want that responsibility?

•••
I don't recommend it. Why would you want that responsibility?

I'm with stub. You probably don't know this seller. Why open yourself up to legal liability? Who's to say the seller won't sue you for negligence based on some cooked-up "mishap" that cost him/her a business deal or something?

•••
I've agreed to this before, to close a sale, but for 3 months of forwarding to an email address of their choice (for only the exact emails listed). After that, it was no longer supported and wiped when I got around to it.

hope that helps

•••
I've agreed to this before, to close a sale, but for 3 months of forwarding to an email address of their choice (for only the exact emails listed). After that, it was no longer supported and wiped when I got around to it.

hope that helps

That is great, to share an exact example which you have experienced, of what the original poster is asking.

Keep in mind if you do this and you and the buyer get into any sort of dispute, then things can possibly get messy, affecting the relationship between you both.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back