IT.COM

question How to handle an inquiry that is going cold

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Restricted (Market)
Impact
I got an inquiry on one of my domains almost 2 weeks ago. The potential buyer came though an independent lander and offered more than the BIN I had set at Sedo and Afternic. So I upped my BIN to match their offer told them I would accept that and suggested either to complete though either Escrow.com or Sedo. After a couple of days of no response to that I sent another email to which the potential buyer said oh sorry had something come up but I'm still interested and will be in touch. Then over a week with nothing more. When should I try to email back? What should I say?

I was listening to an older episode of Domain Sherpa last night and they were talking about how they have sent an email to a potential buyer that's was on the fence "accidentally" and was meant to be sent to another potential buyer (wasn't clear if this other potential buyer was real or not). Do you think something like this might help create some urgency for this guy to close to deal of he's serious?

How would you handle this situation. It's a good price for the domain that will not only cover all my acquisitions to date but give me more left over for new purchases too so I'm really hoping to close this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No interest...

Or your emails were delivered into the buyer's spam folder... or not delivered at all (blocked, this mostly happens if destination is at Hotmail/Outlook)...
Use another SMTP.

•••
Or your emails were delivered into the buyer's spam folder... or not delivered at all (blocked, this mostly happens if destination is at Hotmail/Outlook)...
Use another SMTP.
They said they will get back to him but are now delaying.

•••
Then forget and do your another tasks...
From my experience - some buyers may disappear for few weeks... then they communicate again (if they are really interested).

•••
Exactly, he should just set the BIN and move on.

•••
I was going to add my understanding about the "Law of Contract" from a UK perspective. But I now see our OP's account is showing 'Auto Closed' so little point in elaborating further. But it does go to show that it is always worth putting a time-line on any agreement to sell.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry your have been to busy to respond domaining is time consuming...
Due to prior commitments have been unavailable at the office checking have you had a chance to review and respond to my counter. Thank you.

•••
This happens from time to time.

I've had someone interested in a domain then lost contact with them for weeks, even after I sent a follow up email. Then out of no where, they responded to my email and we got a deal done...lol.

People are busy, don't check email as much, lazy etc. Sometimes you can't explain things. Just send a follow up and leave it at that, there really isn't much more that you can do.

Good news is that someone was interested in your domain! Congrats!

-Omar

•••
I had a buyer disappear for a year and then came back and restarted negotiations. Eventually sold that 5-letter name for low 4-figures.

I had a buyer disappear after placing a BIN offer but before sending the money to Sedo. I eventually found out that the buyer was killed in a traffic accident the very next day.

A decade or so ago I landed in the hospital and ended up staying due to surgery and complications from a couple of surgeries and procedures for the better part of 6 months. The very last thing on my mind was domains and I lost many of them to expiration. If I had been in negotiation to sell a particular domain I would not have been able to reply for the first 6 weeks or so.

Things happen. Life happens.

The buyer could have had a family emergency, you do not know and you're not entitled to know exactly what happened. All you know is this: "oh sorry had something come up but I'm still interested and will be in touch" So the ball is in the buyer's court now. In your case, at this time I would wait.

Keep the BIN at one market place and set your min offer to the amount that you accepted at all other market places (to avoid the potential multiple BIN scenario which would be rare but could happen).

I would shoot him an email after about a month or so from his email stating "oh sorry had something come up......." with your general premise being that you assume they went with another domain. You also get the opportunity to be courteous and leave the door open for the future.

You still do not know for sure if he's purchased another domain or not so you basically close your email with "if we may assist you in the future with this domain name, should it still be available, or another domain name, or if you know anyone else interested in a great domain name then contact us and we'll go from there." (you have no idea who they may know!) Then close with wishing them well and leave your contact information. Thats all you can do at that point and you continue to move on.

Barring any of the above, or other scenarios that I didnt cover, if your prospect did go with another domain then what bothers me in general is lack of proper communication. I believe people should always follow-up regardless of the outcome. This gives people and the transaction closure and it is courteous but unfortunately many will not communicate this way so better get used to it.

If I had a dime for every inquiry that went no where then I might be able to pay off my mortgage. :) Unfortunately it seems to be the lay of the land in domain investing. Its not like buying a car or a home where you have to explain why you're going to back out of an agreed deal. I doubt that it will ever become that way either.

•••
A decade or so ago I landed in the hospital and ended up staying due to surgery and complications from a couple of surgeries and procedures for the better part of 6 months. The very last thing on my mind was domains and I lost many of them to expiration

Wow...same thing happened to me 12 years ago...I lost many very aged and valuable domains due to the same scenario.

You are right...life happens...to survive as domain investors and humans we have to learn to roll with the punches! :xf.smile:

btw, just an hour ago I closed a BIN window for a potential buyer...let him know I would welcome other offers in the future (he offered less than half of the name value). I always let potential buyers know I NEVER go lower than my 'best' number...I make sure they know it will 10 to 50 percent more in case they a waiting to see if I reduce the price 'down the road'.

•••
Wow...same thing happened to me 12 years ago...I lost many very aged and valuable domains due to the same scenario.

You are right...life happens...to survive as domain investors and humans we have to learn to roll with the punches! :xf.smile:

btw, just an hour ago I closed a BIN window for a potential buyer...let him know I would welcome other offers in the future (he offered less than half of the name value). I always let potential buyers know I NEVER go lower than my 'best' number...I make sure they know it will 10 to 50 percent more in case they a waiting to see if I reduce the price 'down the road'.

Crazy isnt it? I have learned from that experience to have at least a couple of people who know what I do and that I have an inventory of domain names that need to be monitored and dealt with. Its also in my will since then.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back