IT.COM

question How to email a Company with 1 Billion Revenue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Grand

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I've recently found out that a .com domain I regged for a personal project 2 years ago has had the .ca version registered by one of the largest companies in Canada, with over a billion in yearly profit and more than 10,000 employees.

I've never sent an outbound email to a company of this size before, and I'm wondering if any of you have experience. I'm hesitant to ask for anything over $400 and will most likely offer less than $150, since this seems to be a stale side project of the company and the domain itself has no value outside of this (only one other TLD regged). They will likely be the only potential buyer for a while.

Any advice appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Without knowing the domain and therefore the risks involved I certainly wouldn't be approaching any Company without doing all my 'due diligence checks.

If this domain is so well know and used by the 'Said' Company, You'd do better by just getting it listed for sale. It's hardly likely to go unnoticed by the said company over time. If your not sure your not sure how to play it on price - Use the make-offer.

If you want to Direct message me the name and I'll happily steer you better (as a one-off)

Last edited:
•••
Instead of doing outbound, would put up some sort "for sale" page, and if they are interested they will come knocking. Probably not worth the time and effort finding the right person at the company for just $400. If they make an inquiry from the landing page, you will be in a much better negotiating position.

•••
Instead of doing outbound, would put up some sort "for sale" page, and if they are interested they will come knocking. Probably not worth the time and effort finding the right person at the company for just $400. If they make an inquiry from the landing page, you will be in a much better negotiating position.
Thanks for the advice, they actually have privacy off and I've found the registrant is a senior web designer living quite close to me, so contacting them should be no problem. I agree that I'll be in a better negotiating position, but I don't think they will ever contact me due to the project just being a blog-style site.

•••
As mentioned above, I would just put a for sale lander on there with no ads and see what happens. Is your name generic?

I have a similar scenario where I own a very generic .ca and a very large company owns the .com and .net.

•••
Hope my DM reply also helps. just sent

It's nice to see your keeping things in perspective regarding this particular domain

•••
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe some companies never know they need a domain until it's pointed out to them.
I mean he mentioned this company in question make over a billion in profit yearly, with that success, would they ever think having a dotCom would do something. As they say, "you don't know importance of something until u loose it", in this case, this company are losing nothing with their dotCa, they wouldn't know dotCom would be of that importance i guess (if at all it will be).

Also, we domainers tend to believe all other people think like us, like they go to whois, auctions and aftermarkets to randomly search for domain, when in real sense, they don't.

So as the OP said, he is afraid they might never come, i am afraid so too.

Last edited:
•••
Have you checked for trademarks? Be very careful, especially if the company has been around longer than you've owned the name.

•••
PMed

Last edited:
•••
Have you checked for trademarks? Be very careful, especially if the company has been around longer than you've owned the name.

Yup no worries, it's a pretty generic 3 word phrase (and doesn't include the company namr), and BaileyUK helped me confirm there are no trademarks :)

Also, we domainers tend to believe all other people think like us, like they go to whois, auctions and aftermarkets to randomly search for domain, when in real sense, they don't.

Yes this was exactly my thought process, since large companies often have many small marketing strategies I didn't expect too much effort to be made to search out the .com owner 2 years after this particular project started.

•••
Yup no worries, it's a pretty generic 3 word phrase (and doesn't include the company namr), and BaileyUK helped me confirm there are no trademarks :)

Oh so its not the company name.you own in the .com, its a 3 word name related to their industry and they registered the .CA, if they wanted it, Im sure they would have come knocking by now, before the .CA extension. Good luck though.

•••
Yup that was my thought process too. Called the registrant over phone and he said they weren't interested at the moment. Ah well, will most likely drop this one and move on to others :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back