Dynadot

tips How to choose the perfect Domain Name - (First blog article)

NameSilo
Watch

JohnAmibo

Established Member
Impact

How to choose the perfect Domain Name​

Choosing a name for your website is an important decision. It can affect how people find and remember you, so it's worth taking time to get it right!​

httpsyousite.com.png

Choosing a domain name is often one of the first things a new business must tackle​

You’ve got a great idea for a website, and you’re ready to make it happen. In order to start building your site, you need to pick a domain name that helps people find you and sets them up for success when they arrive. This article will walk through some things to consider when deciding on the perfect domain for your business or project
Choosing a name for your website is an important part of your online marketing strategy. A good domain name can help you rank higher in search engines and make it easier for people to find you on the web. It should be short, memorable, easy to spell, easy to type into their browser or mobile device, and recognizable as being related to what you offer online

The domain name should reflect your brand​

In order to choose the perfect domain name, you need to think about what your business is and what it stands for. The name you choose should be something that reflects who you are and what your brand is about. It’s important to consider how people will view your domain name, as well as how easy it will be for them to remember it. You want a domain name that is unique, easy-to-spell, and easy to remember so that people can find you easily when searching online.
To make sure this happens, create a list of words that reflect what your business offers or its mission statement or focus area(s). Keep in mind whether there are any other businesses out there with similar names or themes; if so, it might not be wise to use those words because someone else already owns them

Choose a top-level domain that makes sense​

It’s important to choose a top-level domain (TLD) that makes sense for your site. .com is the most popular TLD, followed by other well-respected extensions such as .net and then .org, however, .org is mainly intended for use by organizations such as non-profits and charities, and after all these years .com remains king. However, while it’s true that having a .com extension can help you rank higher in Google, and is generally perceived to be, the most recognizable and trustworthy, this isn’t as big of a deal as it used to be. In recent years, many start-ups have developed on TLDs such as .io and .app first and then decide to purchase the matching .com once they have become established

When possible, use keywords in your domain name​

A good domain name should contain keywords that are relevant to your business, industry, products/services, target audience, and value you offer. For example:
  • A company selling shoes online might choose “shoes4less.com” for its domain name because it contains keyword terms related to its business and product offering.
  • An accounting firm might choose “accountingfirmnyc.com” for their domain name because it has keywords related to the industry (accounting) as well as location (NYC).

Keep your domain name short, unique, and memorable​

Keep it short, unique, and memorable. When choosing a domain name for your business or brand, you want to make sure that it sticks in people’s minds. That means keeping it short and sweet. Not only will this save you money on marketing costs because your URL will be easier to remember, but it also makes typing out the URL less of an effort for users who may not be able to spell what they’re looking for correctly the first time (and trust us: everyone experiences that). Try to keep domain names under 15 characters if possible

Your domain has to work hard for you and make sense with your business strategy!​

When it comes to domain names, choosing the right one can make or break your business. Your domain has to work hard for you and make sense of your business strategy. Your domain name should be easy to remember and easy to spell. It should also be short, so it’s easy for people to type as well. Plus, if possible and appropriate, try making sure it sounds pleasant when spoken aloud (especially if English isn’t your first language). If possible, register a couple of variations of a name that makes sense with what you’re doing—this will help further protect your brand

At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that your domain name is an extension of your brand. You want to make sure that it is easy for people to find and remember, so choose wisely​

If you're reading this, thanks for taking the time to read through the article​

What's your most important prerequisite when choosing a domain?​

PLEASE NOTE, The following is just my opinion based on my limited knowledge and understanding of the domain industry. I'm no expert, nor do I claim to be.

I have recently got into domaining on a somewhat more serious level and soon decided to build a basic independent marketplace for my domains along with a complimentary blog. The following article is hopefully the first of many to come on the blog. If you like the article, please consider checking out my new site, and if you have time I would love some feedback on it - namebroth.com

https://namebroth.com/blog/how-to-choose-the-perfect-domain-name/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back