Dynadot

discuss How to beat huge domains at Gd auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
they bid in every domain and even low quality name they raise the budget ,and leaving it to closeout you pay $50+20 70 usd ..inguess it time to forget getting names at low xx

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
thanks for the highly valuable replies

Last edited:
•••
Well the ugly truth is you can't "beat" them by any other means than pay more than they do. Their whole system is automated and bidding is done by a "bot" with API access that you probably don't have with a bottomless pot of funding which also probably don't have so there's no other way. GD don't care thet their auction system is unfair and probably illegal. There are other threads on here that go into this subject.

•••
Have deeper pockets. Otherwise, I think the word is "tough"

Last edited:
•••
This may not be news for some, but I've never seen anyone mention that Huge Domains is more active at GD auctions expired.

•••
GD don't care thet their auction system is unfair and probably illegal.
How is their auction system unfair? Doesn't the highest bidder win?

•••
It's not illegal. The only thing I've seen that people get annoyed by is that on many marketplaces when you bid on auctions you're suddenly hit by an AML check and the account get's blocked for a few days and you lose out on the domain and people start inventing conspiracies.

Last edited:
•••
Acquire hugedomains.com 🙂

I hate them too.

•••
It's not illegal. The only thing I've seen that people get annoyed by is that on many marketplaces when you bid on auctions you're suddenly hit by an AML check and the account get's blocked for a few days and you lose out on the domain and people start inventing conspiracies.
They give certain select customers (including HD) access to their auction API that isn't available to everyone. Unless it's an even playing field it isn't fair.

•••
They give certain select customers (including HD) access to their auction API that isn't available to everyone. Unless it's an even playing field it isn't fair.
What advantage does it give though? Search? The bidding shouldn't really matter unless you mean automated bidding.

From a business and support perspective, I understand why the API would not be available to everyone unless maybe if it's behind another membership plan.

•••
What advantage does it give though? Search? The bidding shouldn't really matter unless you mean automated bidding.

From a business and support perspective, I understand why the API would not be available to everyone unless maybe if it's behind another membership plan.
It allows them to automate their whole bidding system. If you took their API access away there's no way they'd be able to bid on the amount of auctions they do manualy, it would completely change the auction success rates and lower prices for everyone else. You do the hard work for them and they automaticaly bid on names with interest. GD are in a win win with HD as even the names they don't win have inflated prices from their participation. HD are almost certainly their biggest customer. It would be naive to thing they don't get special treatment. No membership plans, just preferential treatment for their biggest customers which is fine if its cut price registrations etc but not fine when its to the detrement of other customers.

•••
You can't beat them, as they overpay for some, and get some bargains on others, so they even out in their eyes.... Whoever said $70... they max bid $300-$500 many times. They have a long history at Godaddy including gaming the godaddy backorder system to steal auctions that were headed to closeouts, only when the loophole was exposed, godaddy took a week or two to close it down, most likely to allow the holder of thousands of backorders to use them.

•••
Last edited:
•••

Just use proxy bids.

There's no "sniping" anymore now that every bid extends the auction, same as everywhere else.

Also, as far as searching for auctions - they don't have a good API, but they do have an FTP server which has CSVs of all the auctions which you can download periodically, automatically. From there it's pretty simple to build your own database. Or pay someone to do it for you.

If OP was actually a question about how to compete with their bank - well, I have some bad news. It's like poker - having a huge bankroll allows you an advantage that's hard to overcome.

I don't spend time on whether that's fair - it's just reality. I also don't spend a lot of time worrying about problems that can be solved for < $1000.

Last edited:
•••
Sniping hasn't been possible on there for a long time. I haven't used GD for a couple of years (including auctions and registry) so it doesn't really bother me what they do or how but either way you look at it, when you offer some users some services and not others, it's not a fair system.

•••
Sniping hasn't been possible on there for a long time. I haven't used GD for a couple of years (including auctions and registry) so it doesn't really bother me what they do or how but either way you look at it, when you offer some users some services and not others, it's not a fair system.

I guess I disagree - giving your biggest customers private API access is very normal and I think it's easy to understand why: free/inexpensive users eat up an inordinate amount of support resources.

If you wire GD a couple thousand you too can have API access anyway.

•••
Last edited:
•••
There could be a few options: 1.create a huge domains competitor using namepros members to compete with them, 10k members at $100 each would mean 1 million dollars; that could not be enough, but it should be a strong competitor. 2. Have an agreement between domainers to not bid on godaddy anymore for a certain amount of time, like 1-2 months, this way godaddy would loose money and huge domains automatization will not work anymore. 3. If you are sure that they will bid on every domain that gets bids, we should bid on a few worthless domains each or should push them to bid to their max, so help them go over the fine line between making a profit or loosing money. For sure they win lots of worthless domains every month, so if we manage to make them to double the number of worthless domains , they will need to find another way to make money.

•••
I guess I disagree - giving your biggest customers private API access is very normal and I think it's easy to understand why: free/inexpensive users eat up an inordinate amount of support resources.

If you wire GD a couple thousand you too can have API access anyway.
Yeah I can see why they would do things like that from a business stand point. Anyway it seems they've opened up API to everyone now so my agrument is moot lol was fun while it lasted.

•••
There could be a few options: 1.create a huge domains competitor using namepros members to compete with them, 10k members at $100 each would mean 1 million dollars; that could not be enough, but it should be a strong competitor. 2. Have an agreement between domainers to not bid on godaddy anymore for a certain amount of time, like 1-2 months, this way godaddy would loose money and huge domains automatization will not work anymore. 3. If you are sure that they will bid on every domain that gets bids, we should bid on a few worthless domains each or should push them to bid to their max, so help them go over the fine line between making a profit or loosing money. For sure they win lots of worthless domains every month, so if we manage to make them to double the number of worthless domains , they will need to find another way to make money.

makes sense but practically not possible imo

•••
I also noticed the renewal fee increasing as closeout price lowers …in godaddy …i dont get the point

•••
overpay ^^'

To win auctions, you have to be the highest bidder. Which means you have to overpay the majority of the time to get the domain. If you believe the domain is an appreciating asset then you won't mind.

•••
How much do you pay yourself an hour to search for domains?

Since we all have a limit of how much money we can invest, by paying more for a domain name, are you saving that amount in payroll to yourself?

Strange concept I know. But there are times when I want to buy some new domains and the ones I want are slightly higher than I was planning to pay. But for me to go to $280 from $250 and winning that domain is better than me spending $60 in labor to find a different domain at $250 if the retail price I am asking is going to be the same.

Even if you lose at $280, if you've done that to 20 domains, then you've forced HD and any others to pay an extra $600. If 1000 of us did that then they'd be bidding an extra $600,000 which could be enough to force them to change their strategy or even decide it's time to sell their business to someone else who will run it into the ground and clear the board for the rest of us.

Last edited:
•••
Back