IT.COM

strategy How to be a good domainer ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nripesh Ranjan

Top Member
Impact
Many of new domainers feel bad due to not getting single buyer for his/her domain. This thread is about domainers' strategies, tricks and planning.
What is behind all succesful domainers ?
If you want to share, you are welcome.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Or roll a random number. Chance is correct as often as estibot

If you answered me, i'm afraid i havent been clear about what i meant

•••
No it wasn't directed at you - just pointing out that a fallible appraisal system is the same as chance or the same as a boat that has holes in it or a chocolate teapot etc. It would make no difference not to use it. However using it damages potential. Anyway that is not the be-all and end-all. People will still pay for certificates or appraisals. Buyers will still ignore them. It's just in the past it was frowned upon - now it seems to have gained some kind of credibility. As long as people are aware it's up to them.

Last edited:
•••
Many of new domainers feel bad due to not getting single buyer for his/her domain. This thread is about domainers' strategies, tricks and planning.
What is behind all succesful domainers ?
If you want to share, you are welcome.

Hard work, patience, and coffee

•••
  • Agree with @WillW patience and hard work
  • Also, a willingness to be open to new ideas and to being wrong. When using Namebio look not just for what domain names sold for, but when that was.
  • Always use evidence and information. Use and evaluate new sources of information and tools.
  • Be logical and have a clear exit strategy (when you buy a domain, already decide how you are going to promote it, and what price you would be content to receive, even if you plan to ask for much more).
  • Every year (at least) review your written domain plan, like you would an investment plan. What makes sense to renew. What new niches to move into. What to get out of.
  • Ideally don't be in it alone - a second person to bounce ideas off helps a lot (or if not get that through NPs)

•••
Choose the proper domain name which is related to your business.

•••
Also, a willingness to be open to new ideas and to being wrong. When using Namebio look not just for what domain names sold for, but when that was.
Nice one, It could be the KEY POINT.

•••
•••
its always same story for everything in life

the more time you spend learning about something
the better you become

because in time and experience, one only becomes better at something.. not worse.

so I always say: the time and effort and experince you put into domaining is directly proportional to your success.

the #1 mistake of all new domainers is to think it is easy and quick to sell domains. when in most cases, in first stage, almost all begin by losing money.. and then if they learned correctly from mistakes and persisted then in stage #2 they make up the money they lost.. and then stage #3 should be pretty much all profits and in the positive $$$.

cheers

•••
its always same story for everything in life

the more time you spend learning about something
the better you become

because in time and experience, one only becomes better at something.. not worse.

so I always say: the time and effort and experince you put into domaining is directly proportional to your success.

the #1 mistake of all new domainers is to think it is easy and quick to sell domains. when in most cases, in first stage, almost all begin by losing money.. and then if they learned correctly from mistakes and persisted then in stage #2 they make up the money they lost.. and then stage #3 should be pretty much all profits and in the positive $$$.

cheers
Achieve Stage #1 To Stage #3 is not the easy target like new domainers thinking. Its all about Time and Experience. Every failure is gurantee of success but we should keep patience and learn more & more.

•••
Investing in (.)com is safer than other extensions. But if someone thinks every (.)com has great value thats not the truth.

•••
All these domainers saying "don't take estibot as gospel" are misleading you.
Of course it isn't Gospel...but it still very useful to have a high estibot valuation
for your domain name. And any domainer with any sense would like to
see a high estibot valuation on a domain that they purchase. I recently purchased
Lydia.us for $150 on Godaddy and I was pleased to later see that estibot
gave it a valuation of $1100. There is nothing wrong with checking with
estibot before making a purchase.

•••
So you say that people saying 'don't take it as gospel' are misleading yet in your next line you state 'of course it isn't gospel'. Um ok. You find the domainers 'with sense' are the ones that make money by knowing the value of a domain and not being told lies by an automated tool. If it makes you feel better about your purchase fine but don't assume everyone needs to be made to feel good about a purchase. Especially by a tool which is wrong far more often than it's right (if ever).

•••
All these domainers saying "don't take estibot as gospel" are misleading you.
Of course it isn't Gospel...but it still very useful to have a high estibot valuation
for your domain name. And any domainer with any sense would like to
see a high estibot valuation on a domain that they purchase. I recently purchased
Lydia.us for $150 on Godaddy and I was pleased to later see that estibot
gave it a valuation of $1100. There is nothing wrong with checking with
estibot before making a purchase.

domainers with any sense do not even use estibot

therefore your statement that they want to see high values there is incorrect. they simply do not look. and do not care. cause they know estibot is worthless for domain valuations.

but in terms of a feel good tool, to make people believe they own domains worth something, it's a wonderfully designed tool indeed. it pretty much never fails in that department ;)

cheers

•••
As RobM said when he was trying to sell Centerville.com, and I quote:

"For lovers of Estibot it's appraised there at $32,000."

That is the value of Estibot. That you can quote it when it suits you.

Even if you think Estibot is worthless as a domain evaluation tool,
and I don't, many domainers will be impressed by a high Estibot valuation.
$32,000 impress's me.

•••
  • Agree with @WillW patience and hard work
  • Also, a willingness to be open to new ideas and to being wrong. When using Namebio look not just for what domain names sold for, but when that was.
  • Always use evidence and information. Use and evaluate new sources of information and tools.
  • Be logical and have a clear exit strategy (when you buy a domain, already decide how you are going to promote it, and what price you would be content to receive, even if you plan to ask for much more).
  • Every year (at least) review your written domain plan, like you would an investment plan. What makes sense to renew. What new niches to move into. What to get out of.
  • Ideally don't be in it alone - a second person to bounce ideas off helps a lot (or if not get that through NPs)

•••
A good strategy for anyone is look at what has been sold spend as much time looking at sales history as looking up domains.

•••
As RobM said when he was trying to sell Centerville.com, and I quote:

"For lovers of Estibot it's appraised there at $32,000."

That is the value of Estibot. That you can quote it when it suits you.

Even if you think Estibot is worthless as a domain evaluation tool,
and I don't, many domainers will be impressed by a high Estibot valuation.
$32,000 impress's me.

Surprise (not to me) though it was off by quite a bit ;)

•••
•••
This thread is golden!
Think I need to settle down a bit on impulse regging. Just a little too excited doing something new.:xf.smile:
Thank you for all your information.(y)

Last edited:
•••
Or roll a random number. Chance is correct as often as estibot ;)
Thanks for your advice on here RobM.

Would you mention previous sale price(s) of a domain to potential buyers?

•••
Depending on the domain and the field of the purchaser yes. But I would never say 'so and so tool has said my domain is worth $xxxx'. It insults the buyer's intelligence and makes you look incompetent. It's different to say 'here are a list of domains in a similar area and what the market has paid'.

•••
It's different to say 'here are a list of domains in a similar area and what the market has paid'.
Highly recommended....Awesome

•••
•••
Suddenly its look like the market is moving around CRYPTO domains but age factor is also working behind its sale.

•••
There are short term movers/flippers and long term holders. Due to a few high profile crypto domain sales there are now tens of thousands of bandwagon weak 3 and 4 word domains that won't sell and can't be held onto. They will only end up costing 2/3 years renewals before dropping. Look long term - by the time everyone has cottoned onto a flip market it is too late for 99% of registrants.

•••
Back