IT.COM

question How To Add TXT Record When...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

m1zz

Established Member
Impact
This is probably a silly and very newbie question but I hope you guys are wiser than me :D

If I have a few domains on Namecheap, Nameservers are pointed to Dan.com to use their sales page, how the heck do I add TXT records now when I get no DNS management on both ends?? Should I have it set up a different way?

Would love some wise words right now, because it's been frustrating me this whole morning.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your nameservers delegate DNS control to whoever you point it to. So if you've pointed it to Dan and they don't provide a way of managing DNS records then it's not possible for you to do things like add a TXT record.

You'd need to use the default nameservers and use the DNS management that your registrar provides or point it to another host that allows you to do it.

Last edited:
•••
Your nameservers delegate DNS control to whoever you point it to. So if you've pointed it to Dan and they don't provide a way of managing DNS records then it's not possible for you to do things like add a TXT record.

You'd need to use the default nameservers and use the DNS management that you registrar provides or point it to another host that allows you to do it.
What a shame, out of all of the sales pages I have seen, Dan has the most good looking one xD with better options too.

•••
What a shame, out of all of the sales pages I have seen, Dan has the most good looking one xD with better options too.
What is the reason that you need a TXT entry? Can't you just switch the nameservers temporarily for whatever you need and then switch it back straight after?

•••
On which registrar you need to add txt?

•••
Some market places require the txt record for verification. Just switch to default so you can change the txt record. Once the verification is done you can switch back to Dan.

•••
Oh, I don't read it sorry. On Namecheap you need to put default nameservers to able to add text. I usually put "3600" on time field.

•••
What is the reason that you need a TXT entry? Can't you just switch the nameservers temporarily for whatever you need and then switch it back straight after?
Some market places require the txt record for verification. Just switch to default so you can change the txt record. Once the verification is done you can switch back to Dan.
Ypu guys just saved me a lot of hassle not having to hook up the domains to my cpanel :D

Last edited:
•••
"Some market places require the txt record for verification. Just switch to default so you can change the txt record. Once the verification is done you can switch back to Dan."

So what happens when they esp SEDO do a scan and found out it is not pointing to their dns?

•••
"Some market places require the txt record for verification. Just switch to default so you can change the txt record. Once the verification is done you can switch back to Dan."

So what happens when they esp SEDO do a scan and found out it is not pointing to their dns?
They probably wouldn't in the time required to change it and switch it back.

•••
Another solution. I switched off privacy on the domains and contacted GoDaddy to confirm ownership :) switched it back on now.

•••
I you want to add TXT only for DAN landing page, you can use their third nameserver (your verification nameserver).

•••
I you want to add TXT only for DAN landing page, you can use their third nameserver (your verification nameserver).
I am trying to have it verified on GoDaddy, the nameservers are already pointed to Dan for their sales page.

•••
I am trying to have it verified on GoDaddy, the nameservers are already pointed to Dan for their sales page.

SEDO doesn't care. They used the text record to verify your ownership. Once it's verified, they know that you'll point it somewhere else. They don't make you reconfirm, they assume it's yours until you delist or the next owner tries to list it. At least that's been my experience. No marketplace has ever asked me to reconfirm once I did it the first time.

SEDO usually verifies mine against whois so I haven't had to add text records for a while.

•••
This is probably a silly and very newbie question but I hope you guys are wiser than me :D

If I have a few domains on Namecheap, Nameservers are pointed to Dan.com to use their sales page, how the heck do I add TXT records now when I get no DNS management on both ends?? Should I have it set up a different way?

Would love some wise words right now, because it's been frustrating me this whole morning.

Use your registrar's nameservers. Point the A record(s) to Dan's ip address: 52 dot 58 dot 78 dot 16. (Replace 'dot' with actual dots).

That will make your domain resolve to their Landers. Now you can just add any other record (TXT,MX) at your registrar's DNS manager.

Using you registrar's nameservers and the verification server from DAN isn't gonna work. That 3rd server only works (as supposed to) when you also use NS1.dan.com and NS2.dan.com.

•••
Use your registrar's nameservers. Point the A record(s) to Dan's ip address: 52 dot 58 dot 78 dot 16. (Replace 'dot' with actual dots).

That will make your domain resolve to their Landers. Now you can just add any other record (TXT,MX) at your registrar's DNS manager.

Using you registrar's nameservers and the verification server from DAN isn't gonna work. That 3rd server only works (as supposed to) when you also use NS1.dan.com and NS2.dan.com.

This seems like the simplest way to deal with this. I’ve been looking everywhere to figure out how to go about resolving listing with Dan, Sedo, and Afternic. Especially with liking Dan’s options as the landing page best.

I received an email from Sedo about verification, but had my DNS pointing to Dan. Just changed the DNS records back to my registrars default and added the A-record for Dan…fingers crossed it will resolve as you suggested.

Thanks!!!

•••
This seems like the simplest way to deal with this. I’ve been looking everywhere to figure out how to go about resolving listing with Dan, Sedo, and Afternic. Especially with liking Dan’s options as the landing page best.

I received an email from Sedo about verification, but had my DNS pointing to Dan. Just changed the DNS records back to my registrars default and added the A-record for Dan…fingers crossed it will resolve as you suggested.

Thanks!!!

It will work ;) As you change DNS and records give it some time to propagate though. You can also add a second TXT record with your Dan verification code if you like/need.

Let us know how it works out for you.

•••
It will work ;) As you change DNS and records give it some time to propagate though. You can also add a second TXT record with your Dan verification code if you like/need.

Let us know how it works out for you.

You are simply a rockstar! Worked like a charm. Thank you so much for clearing this up for me.

•••
I also had the same problem at the beginning (I also use Namecheap for buying domain names), especially when you sell you're domain name in several marketplaces.

Let the default DNS parameters at the beginning as is (Namecheap DNS), put TXT records of the different marketplaces you want to use (Sedo, DAN.com) and once it's all set up, change the DNS parameters to redirect on DAN landing page.

•••
Sedo should add the NS verification method that godaddy and dan have. The whole changing the NS to add the txt is not the way to do it for domainers. It is a good option if you have a few domains. @Sedo

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back