vote
    16.7%

• 6 votes
  • Ended 3 years ago
  • Final results

Pratt

Established Member
Impact
So i'm checking the Godaddy appraisal tool and estibot, and can see a big variation in values. How genuine one or other Appraisal tools are. Are they realistic, or always on the higher/lower side??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are many threads on this;
Godaddy appraisals are generally garbage and low $1,XXX
They are especially garbage if under $2K,
They make it difficult to have evaluations above 2K, --- some go higher
and most names are in the $1K range. The key is to know how to use the tool.;

Furthermore, they constantly keep changing the "algorithm"
I noticed theyre making the values go down.

There are many threads on this topic.
Govalue, Estibot, Freevaluator, and Nameworth.

Try them all and see which one you like;
The key is to use them as a tool not Bible. Koran etc
Try not to tel the guy you're trying to sell "It's appraised for $x,xxx!"
I would laugh you off :)

Last edited:
•••
GD Appraisal + your research + common sense = excellent

•••
Don't use any automated appraisal tools, they just pick random figures.

•••
There are many threads on this;
Godaddy appraisals are generally garbage and low $1,XXX
They are especially garbage if under $2K,
They make it difficult to have evaluations above 2K, --- some go higher
and most names are in the $1K range. The key is to know how to use the tool.;

Furthermore, they constantly keep changing the "algorithm"
I noticed theyre making the values go down.

There are many threads on this topic.
Govalue, Estibot, Freevaluator, and Nameworth.

Try them all and see which one you like;
The key is to use them as a tool not Bible. Koran etc
Try not to tel the guy you're trying to sell "It's appraised for $x,xxx!"
I would laugh you off :)
Ya begin to observe that. they all have somewhere around $1k - $2k range for almost all domains

•••
•••
GD Appraisal + your research + common sense = excellent
that's what I'm doing but observed a pattern of seeing big variation in the valuation from different tools.

•••
Observe the name related to the previous sales which serves as one of the basic benchmark for GD appraisal. It's sometimes way too far from the name being appraised. It doesn't make any sense sometimes.
On the other hand Estibot appraisal will always have high numbers for the established websites and may not have much attention to the valuation of domain name itself as it maybe focusing more on technical numbers related to the SEO numbers. There maybe lot of false positives or negatives with pattern analysis or number crunching algorithms. Buyer needs, popularity of certain names and combinations, futuristic potential, etc are not baked in and updated consistently in these algorithms. Sometimes you can go by your gut feel and vision for holding a domain to get the right value for your investment.

•••
Observe the name related to the previous sales which serves as one of the basic benchmarks for GD appraisal. It's sometimes way too far from the name being appraised. It doesn't make any sense sometimes.
On the other hand Estibot appraisal will always have high numbers for the established websites and may not have much attention to the valuation of the domain name itself as it maybe focusing more on technical numbers related to the SEO numbers. There may be lot of false positives or negatives with pattern analysis or number-crunching algorithms. Buyer needs, the popularity of certain names and combinations, futuristic potential, etc are not baked in and updated consistently in these algorithms. Sometimes you can go by your gut feel and vision for holding a domain to get the right value for your investment.
Ya so basically take "these appraisal tools" as just a basic indicator of the value any particular domain may hold. But I can see it's always on the lower side, of the past sales

•••
GD is more accurate for domains under 5k, estimates $5k+ domains less than their real values.
I have stopped even to visit estibot after they started to require registering an account.
I think 10+ years ago, before afternic was sold to GD, I ordered some paid appraisals from afternic. Even paid appraisals are not accurate at all.

In the past, appraised values were higher. They were showing unrealistic $ values for garbage. I think they have noticed it's wrong. But now they usually estimate less than the real values especially for quality domains.

Last edited:
•••
GD is more accurate for domains under 5k, estimates $5k+ domains less than their real values.
I have stopped even to visit estibot after they started to require registering an account.
I think 10+ years ago, before afternic was sold to GD, I ordered some paid appraisals from afternic. Even paid appraisals are not accurate at all.

In the past, appraised values were higher. They were showing unrealistic $ values for garbage. I think they have noticed it's wrong. But now they usually estimate less than the real values especially for quality domains.
Yea Estibot is complete trash. It's just Godaddy shows approx value $1000-$1600 for majority of domain that I searched.

•••
Back