Dynadot

discuss How Much Would You Sell Your Entire Portfolio For Today?

NameSilo
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
As of this moment, I have 652 active domain registrations in my collection. If I sold all of them for $2,000 each, I would have 1.304 million dollars. If I sold them all for $1,000 each, I would have about $652,000. At $500 each I'd have $326,000 and at $250 each, I'd have $163,000. At $100 each, I'd have $65,200.

If you sold every domain you have for $2000 each, how much would you have? How much would you sell your entire portfolio for?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you sell 10 domains @ $2k per year, you got 65 more years to sell your portfolio :xf.grin:

As of this moment, I have 652 active domain registrations in my collection. If I sold all of them for $2,000 each, I would have 1.304 million dollars. If I sold them all for $1,000 each, I would have about $652,000. At $500 each I'd have $326,000 and at $250 each, I'd have $163,000. At $100 each, I'd have $65,200.

If you sold every domain you have for $2000 each, how much would you have? How much would you sell your entire portfolio for?

•••
Is the epik.com appraisal automated?
I'm still not sure if it is possible to sell my domains lol :p
The free one looks automated like estibot etc and the paid one looks shady as hell. Anytime you have to pay for an appraisal it feels like a scam.

•••
I wouldn't like to sell my entire portfolio (1,550 domains) but if someone is desperate enough, I might let it go for 5M.

•••
I have 69 domain of .com, .org, .co dictionary domains total estibot value is $95000..

•••
Sold a collection of names for $80K at one point last year, mostly what I considered to be very crappy four letters. Retained the best four letters, and still have many dozens of these top top four letters. The Asian buyer turned around and sold them, individually, for 10X more. He managed to sell them off very quickly too, within a few months. So selling in bulk is not always the smartest idea. Basically gave away a million dollars. My manager was running the show then, was not entirely my decision.
This was a tight market I would assume you are talking about 4L.com chips which in the summer of 2015 were trending at around $1,000, into September 2015, moved in around $1,200, and by December 2015 peaked at $2,500.

The Chinese buyers were simply trading on slim margins, but moving volume. I can't see them buying 4L.com chips say at $1,200 each, and flipping them for 10X the money on volume, just was not how that business model worked. Maybe a one off situation, but not against a batch of domains.

This whole hysteria had nothing much to do about domains, but other internal economic issues, which have now moved into the cryptocurrency realm.

•••
No, this sale was at towards the end of 2016. The buyer somehow sold off all the domains by February 2017, at 10X what we sold them for to him, by selling them individually, and fast. It was not an edifying experience from my perspective!

I closed a low four figure earlier this month, should close another mid four figure shortly. Two word dictionary word domains. This month is average, not great in terms of closed sales. Very high in terms of inquiries and offers though.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Last edited:
•••

lol .. I like your valuation metric! :)

I have almost 1800 domains now (maybe about 50ish I'm keeping personally or for my own ideas) .. going to try to whittle it down to 1500 as I'm having serious time management issues! :-/

Anyhow .. that makes about $3.5 MILLION by your metric. Estibot has me around $1 million ... but ironically enough my estibot is holding as I'm buying better and better domains and letting some of my first ones drop. Essentially I bought those early ones more because of search metrics and other stats .. now I'm just buying domains that make really good brands .. plus a much higher ratio of .coms .. but still the occasional .org and rare .co

At this point I certainly wouldn't consider anything but a very serious $xxx,xxx offer for the lot (minus my ~50ish personal ones)

•••
I stopped even referencing estibot on my website. An inexperienced buyer could run it, come up with a low number, and then claim that this is what the domain is worth. Estibot analyzes partly based on traffic, and a parked domain has no traffic to speak of.

And in other cases estibot comes in too high. I don't find it to be a very useful tool any longer.

My broker at Afternic/GoDaddy sometimes gives me the GD appraisal price, and actually lately this seems to come in closer to my independent price that I have calculated using both for sale and closed sale comparables.

Last edited:
•••
I stopped even referencing estibot on my website. An inexperienced buyer could run it, come up with a low number, and then claim that this is what the domain is worth. Estibot analyzes partly based on traffic, and a parked domain has no traffic to speak of.

And in other cases estibot comes in too high. I don't find it to be a very useful tool any longer.

The Estibot "value" I keep in mind more just as it's actually a factor for wholesaling to some domainers if I ever chose to liquidate (not at the estibot number obviously .. but more to show the simple fact that estibot "thinks" there is value in the name) .. lol

I still run my daily list through estibot to pull out the search metrics .. but I'm using them much less than at the start .. and I'm buying more and more domains that estibot doesn't see the value of the "brand".

It's a good tool though .. but as you said .. far from being the end all.

It's FANTASTIC for finding typos in keyword domains .. lol .. when you see an unbelievable domain with ZERO bids thinking it's a gem worth over $10k .. but then estibot spits out $0 because it's actually unbeleivable.com instead of unbelievable.com! :-/

•••
Around 1300 domains at 2k, 2.6 million $.

I have around 200 LLLL.coms, few high quality one worders in com etc.

I would cherry 🍒 pick about 10 names and the rest can be sold at around 500k. Just collecting those has costed me half of that amount plus a lot of time spent and losses incurred due to learning curve

•••
Well, let's see. If I were to have a collection of pigeon shit included with some of what may be good stuff and I got 2k for every name I have across the board that just might offset everything enough to balance it out. 2k per name it is. Anyone want to pony up?

•••
Well, let's see. If I were to have a collection of pigeon sh*t included with some of what may be good stuff and I got 2k for every name I have across the board that just might offset everything enough to balance it out. 2k per name it is. Anyone want to pony up?
Lol

•••
Id undersell my entire portfolio for $2,500 currently, reason: have other things to do, not focused on domains currently...

any takers?... of course ill also take $100 per instead..:xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:

•••
$100k today only lol

Last edited:
•••
Per 1000 domains, of good quality (no crap, but don't have to be million dollar names either), you should average about $50K per year net profit (net meaning, above and beyond the ongoing reg fees).

Obviously if you have much better domain names, you will make a lot more, if much worse domain names, you will make less or could even lose money.

This is an average, it does not take into account the occasional home run. Nor does it account for brokered domain name sales, which are usually going to be much higher quality too.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Realistically speaking I would accept $120k, with some killer VR/AR domain names I belive it is a bargain, but I'm looking forward in opening a real business so I need funds.

•••
I would take $2K per name if someone made me that offer for my entire inventory. I think some are worth more, and some not so much. But I believe at least half of the "not so much" names would get at least one bid in the GoDaddy Expired Auctions venue (so there's that...)

•••
FWIW, bulk price for very large portfolios with a mixture of 'meh' inventory and 'ultra-premium' inventory is a lot closer to $150 than $2000

•••
FWIW, bulk price for very large portfolios with a mixture of 'meh' inventory and 'ultra-premium' inventory is a lot closer to $150 than $2000
'meh' ??

•••

yeah, names that have English words but that don't make a lot of sense in the retail world. They aren't trash, but certainly aren't all that valuable either. I'll give an example from my own portfolio. IowaDad.com it's 'meh' at best

•••
yeah, names that have English words but that don't make a lot of sense in the retail world. They aren't trash, but certainly aren't all that valuable either. I'll give an example from my own portfolio. IowaDad.com it's 'meh' at best
Maybe we should be attaching pdf's of our portfolios! (y)

•••
To be clear, I'm not a buyer right now. We're pretty well tapped out after added 300k+ names this month

•••
To be clear, I'm not a buyer right now. We're pretty well tapped out after added 300k+ names this month
Congrats on the acquisitions!

•••

How many years will you need to recoup your investment ? My guess is 4 :xf.grin:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back