IT.COM

discuss How much would you pay for a better domain to promote your domain portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How much would you pay for a domain to promote your portfolio?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • <$50

votes
    21.9%
  • $50-$100

votes
    11.5%
  • $101-$250

votes
    5.2%
  • $251-$500

votes
    9.4%
  • $501-$799

votes
    7.3%
  • $800-$1500

votes
    11.5%
  • $1501-$3000

votes
    10.4%
  • $3001-$500

votes
    2.1%
  • >$5000

votes
    20.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Most forum members acquire domain names primarily for the purpose of reselling them. Many discussions revolve around aftermarket sales, the prospects of a domain selling with certain characteristics - short, one-word, high-search volume, new tld vs .com etc. Occasionally we see threads where someone has recently registered several reg fee domains and inquire about which is best. Or they may post a thread on the domains wanted section with a $50-$100 budget. Yet this forum is about domain names, right? Recently the domain DomainNames.com sold for $370k so at least Schilling believes in paying up for great domains. Yet sadly it seems like most of us place as much a priority on acquiring an aftermarket domain as the typical end user with a Facebook profile or reg fee domain. I suspect the typical domainer portfolio resides on a reg fee domain. If you don't believe in paying up for a domain to promote your domain business, why should you expect end users to act any differently?

I have several portfolio-type domains. One was a made-up name (Dominericos.com), another I won in a forum auction (Dominero.com) two were backordered (PremiumDomains.tv, DominiosenEspanol.com), another was acquired via a Namejet auction (GenericDomains.net) and another was acquired from someone who acquired it in a Namejet auction (ComprarDominio.com). So while I have never spent $xXxX on an individual domain acquisition, I have invested in acquiring above average domains to promote my portfolio.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think "business website" and "marketplace website" are two different things. Most of the time they're one and the same, but sometimes not.

Yes, you need a "business website" on a good, if not great, domain if you want buyers (especially other businesses) to take you seriously. BrandConsultants . com will obviously come off as more professional than Joes-Domain-Shack.net. This site is what shows up when people Google you and your business, so you want to put your best face forward.

If I really wanted to brand myself as something specific then yeah I would pay several $K for the name.

On the other hand, I would never throw up a "marketplace" that has all of my names. For that, my answer is $0.

I just don't see anyone landing on a marketplace, perusing around, then buying some random name. If this actually happens, then please let me know. I'm talking about big-boy names, not names that domainers trade amongst themselves for $25 back and forth. I feel like 99.99% of end user sales are people going to the name directly, through the registry path (ala Afternic), or brokered outright.

I agree with that, no one comes to my site and looks around for a purchase. I've done zero SEO work for BetterNames//com because it doesn't really matter if people find me searching for "premiums domains" or something like that. I did it for landing pages only. The only reason I have a marketplace is so the buyer sees it as a big store and is more likely to think that I know what I'm doing.

I'm currently receiving 8,000-8,500 visitors per day via my custom landing pages, and over 120,000 page views per day, though it is likely many of the page views are from bots and crawlers. The other thing I've noticed is that search engine crawlers do not get forwarded via registrar URL forwarding. So for years and years my website and domains weren't indexed by search engines at all. I switched to my own custom DNS servers (ex. ns1.buy-this.com). Now, if you look up any of my domains on google (ex. search for "comerelax//com" and it will be the first listing in the search engine). This makes a significant difference when you have thousands of domains.

The huge advantage that you have with a custom landing page over the offer coming in via Sedo or Afternic is intelligence. In most cases I can figure out who a buyer is before responding to them if it comes from my website. From Sedo or Afternic, I have no idea. Imagine how your negotiation goes when you know who the buyer is as opposed to not knowing anything about your buyer.

I only get about 35% of my sales from landing pages in regards to upfront, buy-now sales. The other 65% come from external marketplaces (afternic).

But it is important to keep in mind that once you have your own site, you can implement any idea you want and because of this 100% of my lease-to-own agreements come via my landing pages as well. There were 9 in the last year and I currently have about 30 active lease-to-own agreements. So if you add these into my sales numbers above, about 50% or more of my revenue comes via my custom landing pages.

So while I originally put up a portfolio/marketplace to cut down on my $5k commission costs, it is now a vastly different situation. I would say in terms of negotiation advantage and lease-to-own deals that never would have existed otherwise, the amount of extra profits that are generated from my portfolio/marketplace are at minimum $17,000 per year and more realistically about $25,000+ per year. So, I'd say the initial investment of $1,700 for BetterNames//com wasn't too bad. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
I suspect most domainers will go about getting a marketplace domain the same way they get their inventory. For me that meant being patient and waiting for the right drop, worked out pretty well I think.

•••
I own DNPerfect.com it is hand reg domain, I took it to develope it as blog+portfolio website.

But I am still not decided about using this domain maybe I will find better name.

•••
What relevance is this domain website name to end users spending thousands
Unless you are "outbounding", bothering business people because they don't care enough to come find your domain Lol
Even then, aren't there the people who sell top names with simple email addresses
If they like the domain, and you are firm in price,not making that big of a difference to have your own "domain marketplace" or "domain brand name"
You can also be a domainer by buying and listing them all at afternic and sedo with Buy Now prices. If you use WHOIS privacy, no one could ever know about you, and you could still succeed fine....
The context of the question is how much you would invest in a domain to represent your portfolio. It has nothing to do with sedo and other third party platforms. #context

•••
I own DNPerfect.com it is hand reg domain, I took it to develope it as blog+portfolio website.

But I am still not decided about using this domain maybe I will find better name.
You sure will... I don't even know why we think "DN" is good. This isn't like "VR"... I have never met anyone in the real world who even identifies domains as DN. This is known well to domainers only. A brandable or something with the keyword domain or name or brand/s is more suitable IMHO

•••
You sure will... I don't even know why we think "DN" is good. This isn't like "VR"... I have never met anyone in the real world who even identifies domains as DN. This is known well to domainers only. A brandable or something with the keyword domain or name or brand/s is more suitable IMHO

it was inspired from the famous DNJournal name.

But as I said I am not decided yet on using it I am 50/50 on this name

•••
the asking price of a domain that a buyer is interested in, has nothing to do with the name of your website
imo

You can say that for any business. But somehow every serious or successful business always end up using a great name or at some part waking up to their senses or acquire enough capital and move over to a more sound name to represent themselves well.

From the comments I'm seeing....the problem isn't about the name really.
The problem is... Or maybe I shouldn't say problem. But the separation in opinions lies in this:

1. Some domainers are part-timers and have no plans to build a brand image brick by brick. For them dnNameBunnyMonsters.com is just fine.

2. Others want to represent themselves well. They understand that it's more than getting a quick sale. But it's building an image over time. Like I get emails from this guy who upgraded from a ok name to the more brandable name called BrandShore... maybe he'll see this post. Though I haven't done business yet with him, i trust his brand. He didn't spend millions, to build it, but I see the investment, and how he handles his brand. I trust his business. He represents himself well. Same-thing with RajDomains.com. The raj part gets a pass, because it seems like the persons name.

Every buyer won't be desperate for a name. Some buyers like myself at times...I really want to make sure a site looks safe and serious enough. It doesn't need to cost a million dollars, but i look for that integrity. Because we are dealing with money and personal info. Even when i get an email offer from domainers or other companies...the first thing i do after looking at the name is, checking out the email to see if it's linked to a website. If I see something like this: <[email protected] , I immediately close or delete or spam the email.

Yeah, maybe i would really want that service, but will I trust someone with that email/website address?

And I guest end users should keep low balling us or use a handreg or new extension, because after all...if you want their product...the name they use don't matter? right? So why should they invest 4 figures in your brand.

And I bet you'll contradict everything you've stated in your responses if you got the opportunity to talk a buyer into pulling the trigger. Like this domain is your online identity, lol, this domain will be great for SEO and bring you more sales, people will take you more seriously and trust your brand. This domain is premium so it must make a difference???

So we are doing a business where we think a domain will make a difference to an end user and somehow it won't make a difference to us?

If it doesn't make a difference to us, then we truly don't even believe in the business we are doing/and trying to sell others.

Last edited:
•••
Lets clarify:
There's a big difference between a seasoned professional domain reseller with possibly 10,000+ (or maybe much less) domains registered. Has the ability to run a professional store-front incorporating search and subject headings. Publicized contact details and above all a proven-track-record in domain capture/drops and acquisition and sales. Possibly even offering payment options.

Or your average Joe bloggs domainer.

Of course anybody in the top category, shouldn't have to even think twice about a high profile Domain operations name. How an across-the-board poll is going to differentiate those domainer categories is obviously reflected in the wide responses. So No surprises there.

Now lets not forget the 'Dreamers' They want to hit the big-time and open to persuasion on any method to achieve this.

Any surprises about (my own) or any other negative feedback to spending on on a domain sellers name, shouldn't really surprise anybody - Except maybe those that hold a portfolio of domains targeting those dreamers. And of course they (portfolio holders) are also likely to vote $X,XXX +

The Seasoned professionals know to ignore comments not applicable to them

Last edited:
•••
This pretty much depends on the status of your business. Its turnover. I voted 5k+ but would I spend this kind of money to promote my 100 names? No. Would I spend it when I'm making consistent sales on a 1k+ portfolio of names? I sure would.

Also while going through this thread a member mentioned there is a difference between a marketplace name and a business name. That's true.

At the moment my marketplace name is the one that shows on my signature. A handreg that I picked from the list of domains I own that I found most suitable for a marketplace. Whereas my business name is a domain hack of my family name. Regged raj.li and created a subdomain which made it ha.raj.li; this also gave me the option of having an email hack which is [email protected]
I am using this email for communication and I find it really cool. Probably too creative though.

For now my business name forwards to my marketplace but I plan to have a totally different website on the long term, which makes domain names a part of my services. If things go well.

I'm open to opinions and criticism. Thanks for the post!

•••
The context of the question is how much you would invest in a domain to represent your portfolio. It has nothing to do with sedo and other third party platforms. #context
Lol It is relevant because the answer <50 includes Zero.. Would not spend any because there are already marketplaces
And people have been selling by free parking company contact forms for years

Last edited:
•••
As with all things, it’s whats inside your portfolio that matters not outside. I have seen clever portfolio names with run of the mill names and vice versa. I’d rather invest in a better name to sell than a better name for a portfolio. Better name for a portfolio is often subjective.

I do not judge someone based on their business name especially in this business which has many who barely stay afloat or have minimal capital. For a big fish or a massive success sure buy that snazzy name. But when you are just starting out or barely getting by it’s not pragmatic.

•••
You can say that for any business. But somehow every serious or successful business always end up using a great name or at some part waking up to their senses or acquire enough capital and move over to a more sound name to represent themselves well.

a business can be successful, based on the products or services they have to offer

google wasn't a brand, until they created a service around it and that service is what established their cred in society
same with yahoo.
recent example of changing names
ebates rebranding to rakuten

Like I get emails from this guy who upgraded from a ok name to the more brandable name called BrandShore... maybe he'll see this post. Though I haven't done business yet with him, i trust his brand. He didn't spend millions, to build it, but I see the investment, and how he handles his brand. I trust his business. He represents himself well.

you trust somebody, that you haven't done business with yet, because you are impressed with the name of their website?
same reason why a lot of people get scammed, because they trust the IRS phone number showing in their caller id.
you never mentioned due diligence , before you said you trust his brand

Rory Ivey said:
And I guest end users should keep low balling us or use a handreg or new extension, because after all...if you want their product...the name they use don't matter? right? So why should they invest 4 figures in your brand.

you are more concern with end-users than with getting asking price, which I find contrary to domain selling.
as other domainers will and have paid more for domains than you may know.

buyers are not investing in my brand, my rep is my brand.my word is my bond
and those who know me or contact me, have trust in me and/or have the confidence, that I will follow thru in a professional manner.
otherwise, they wouldn't bother.

And I bet you'll contradict everything you've stated in your responses if you got the opportunity to talk a buyer into pulling the trigger. Like this domain is your online identity, lol, this domain will be great for SEO and bring you more sales, people will take you more seriously and trust your brand. This domain is premium so it must make a difference???

I don't pitch domains as a practice to unsuspecting victims, so I don't have to "talk" nobody into pulling the trigger. nor do I have to say it's premium, when they are already interested in acquiring it/

price is the only factor that determines outcome, in those negotiations.

imo...

•••
My favorite one is in my signature.

It is upgraded from DomainNa.me :laugh:

I had a passion to collect domain name related domain names.
I once owned DomainList.com and sold it to EuroDNS.

Last edited:
•••
A very interesting thread. Many thanks to @stub @NameBuyer.com @Josh R @BrandableDomain for your posts, very very helpful.

I voted for $1,500-3,000 option as this is what I’m currently searching for to upgrade. I picked a drop for $59 (it was sold for almost 3K at Afternic ten years ago) and developed it into a portfolio website which I run for almost a year now. It definitely helped me with intelligence but no so much with sales. I made a few mistakes down the road.

Intelligence.

Besides trivial view counts and IP tracking, I also set up custom JS events to monitor user engagement for a particular domain, e.g. how many times users click Buy Now vs Make Offer links (something similar to Sedo's offer page views). It was good and all for a few months until I installed HotJar script (to see heat maps and screen recordings) and found out above click stats were screwed by some freaks.

And of course, email tracking is a huge advantage. I use Yesware for that.

Regarding the sales.

I was totally pissed when a buyer approached me via a Uniregistry broker instead of negotiating directly. I knew they saw my lander but for the reasons I found later (to hide their identity) they didn't contact me via my lander. I couldn't do anything about it.. that was Uniregistry's lead and I thought 15% was fair in such scenario. So I sold the domain for $15,500 just to find out that broker's commission was 20%... While percentage wise it looks fair, I can't force myself feel the same about $3,100 :). Especially considering that I set up my website for the reason of avoiding paying such fees.

I've received quite a few inquiries on my other lesser value domains, and I sold one or two at a higher price that I surely wouldn't be able to sell without email tracking insights.

Last edited:
•••
I'd like to switch to a more memorable and meaningful (for a portfolio website) domain name.

What would you say about singular vs plural suffix for your portfolio domain? E.g. bestbrand, bestname, bestdomain versus their plural counterparts - bestbrands, bestnames, bestdomains (instead of best can be anything - good, perfect, ultra, better, etc)

•••
Domainers even park their domains or redirect to undeveloped / brand bucket. But since parking revenue went down the drain, I rather redirect every single domain to a sales page @ my own brand website and collect all the traffic myself instead of send the traffic to giant marketplaces.

•••
My favorite one is in my signature.

It is upgraded from DomainNa.me :laugh:

I had a passion to collect domain name related domain names.
I once owned DomainList.com and sold it to EuroDNS.

Wow, nice names.

•••
Domainers even park their domains or redirect to undeveloped / brand bucket. But since parking revenue went down the drain, I rather redirect every single domain to a sales page @ my own brand website and collect all the traffic myself instead of send the traffic to giant marketplaces.

Exactly what I did when the parking revenue went down the drain. Moved everything everything in-house. I only now sell from my own website or from Afternic, these days. I occasionally get inquiries from the buyer's broker, DomainAgents.com. They contact you and charge their commission to the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
I'd like to switch to a more memorable and meaningful (for a portfolio website) domain name.

What would you say about singular vs plural suffix for your portfolio domain? E.g. bestbrand, bestname, bestdomain versus their plural counterparts - bestbrands, bestnames, bestdomains (instead of best can be anything - good, perfect, ultra, better, etc)
I honestly don’t see much difference any more, though five years ago I would have preferred the plural in most cases.

But these days, you’re not likely to have the choice so if either BestBrand or BestBrands became available in your price range you should just grab it. :xf.wink:

Simple availability seems more important than the subtle and diminishing difference between the two alternatives.

I would have been equally happy to have been able to buy BrandableDomains.com instead of BrandableDomain.com which I was able to acquire from Francois (Domaining.com).

•••
I honestly don’t see much difference any more, though five years ago I would have preferred the plural in most cases.

But these days, you’re not likely to have the choice so if either BestBrand or BestBrands became available in your price range you should just grab it. :xf.wink:

Simple availability seems more important than the subtle and diminishing difference between the two alternatives.

Thanks for your feedback! Makes sense (y)

It's not that I'm choosing between the two. It's more about the plural version is being developed and a singular one is the only available...

So I was wondering whether I should buy, say, bestname .com if bestnames .com already developed? I mean, I'm not going to compete for google ranking so SEO wise I don't care, but potential end users may google my domain name and confuse it with a counterpart. Do you have any concerns about brandabledomains .com being developed by someone else?

BTW, BuyBrands.com is available at Afternic for 6K. So whoever voted for 5K+ and is still looking :xf.smile:

•••
So I was wondering whether I should buy, say, bestname .com if bestnames .com already developed? I mean, I'm not going to compete for google ranking so SEO wise I don't care, but potential end users may google my domain name and confuse it with a counterpart. Do you have any concerns about brandabledomains .com being developed by someone else?
I just grabbed the opportunity to purchase my prize category domain name without any further thought.

Funnily enough, a few years ago I checked the plural site: BrandableDomains.com and yes, it’s developed and it is a competitor. :wtf:

But that doesn’t concern me in the slightest. (As long as neither of us acts dishonestly or tries to pretend to be the other one or whatever) I can’t see any problem.

I think sites like DomainName.com and DomainNames.com can happily co-exist without any detriment to either party.

If I ever received an email addressed to somebody I never heard of, I would just forward it to my competitor but nothing like this has ever happened.

•••
But that doesn’t concern me in the slightest. (As long as neither of us acts dishonestly or tries to pretend to be the other one or whatever) I can’t see any problem.

I think sites like DomainName.com and DomainNames.com can happily co-exist without any detriment to either party.

Got it, thanks :xf.wink:

•••
Some history on how I have used the names. When I was somewhat new to domaining I used Dominericos.com for Spanish domains and GenericDomains.net for English domains. When I started investing heavily in .TV I thought it might be a good idea to have a .TV specific site (PremiumDomains.TV) However, my portfolio is still very Spanish heavy and I hold far fewer .TV domains than I did five to seven years ago (because of the higher renewals I was much choosier with .TV acquisitions but the demand is just not there - ditto for .net). In recent years I find a two-word .net as a less appealing brand so I tried using Dominero.com via Efty. While I like the individual domain landing options at Efty, I am not totally pleased with the site design options at Efty or Name Investors. Regarding ComprarDominio.com, at one point it ranked really well at Yahoo/Bing for several keyword search ohrases. However, the site design was in a software package XSitePro2 which I no longer have so as I started pruning my portfolio over time I had no means of updating the site. So for now the domain is kind of a backup though I have received some inquiries for it. Regarding the Efty landers, I probably should convert them into Spanish for Spanish domains but that would be a lot of manual work I am not convinced would be worthwhile.

•••
@owntype Wow DomainName.com - Super name, congrats!

•••
Hand regged: GenericWord + Domains.com (used for website and email address)

$5 a month for shared hosting plan

$60 one time fee for a domain portfolio script off of CodeCanyon

and have all your domains listed on Afternic and Sedo.

I don't see the need to use these 3rd party sites for a landing page, only to give them a percentage of a sale when they provide no marketing/exposure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back