IT.COM

How Much of a Difference Between .net and .com in Terms of Traffic?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lloris

Impact
I have an exact keyword .net domain. I have done a lot of work on the site in the last 10 years. Then, I tried to buy .com but the owner was unresponsive to all my efforts and I suspected that they would have asked a lot of money for it anyway. I ended up buying .net instead. Ever since I have been wondering how much extra traffic I would have gotten from a .com domain. It is being an exact match keyword, would some of my visitors have gone for the .com next time trying to find my site and stay with it. I am sure they get traffic because people enter the keyword and add .com at the end.

Has anyone have experience with this? Has anyone ended up buying .com later and seen considerable increase in traffic. I guess what I am asking is that would thousands of dollars been worth it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are typically 2 ways one communicates about a domain... Word of mouth or clicking on a link.

When it is Word of mouth, it might make some difference to have a .com as many a times, considering there are so many tlds around, if someone forgets to communicate the full domain name with the tld, while speaking, then the natural intuition will be to try out .com first and then the others. An exception to this ofcourse is that the natural intuition being you do a Google Search, which then becomes a click on a link anyways.

When it is a click on a link, it really doesn't matter which tld you are using. In this case, the only thing that matters is how original your content is, and how well the SEO has been done.

•••
All depends on content i have domains same both in com and net and have had net out rank com when has most relevant content.

•••
Natural type in traffic .COM is going to get more, but unless the term is some major keyword I doubt it gets that much natural traffic even in .COM.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Natural type in traffic .COM is going to get more, but unless the term is some major keyword I doubt it gets that much natural traffic even in .COM.

Brad
Thanks for weighing in Brad.

•••
Your words are music to my ears. My exact domain keyword is big and therefore, I assume that .com makes a difference. Love to hear more from others.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back