IT.COM

poll How much longer will we see big sums being paid for domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domain invest3r

Pinyin domains for saleEstablished Member
Impact
All,

I have been doing some research recently, particularly on the future of domaining. I have come into this game late and what with the exponential progression of technology I am sure this is a question many of you will have also already pondered on. "How much longer will be see big sums being paid for domain?"

Whilst it is clear that the internet will be an integral part of our lives almost indefinitely (unles you know otherwise!), the value of domains is certainly an area for discussion. Granted they will never cease to exist but their usefulness in the face of emerging tech is a question. How much of an effect on future pricing will the below have for example:
  • China and other countries/markets joining
  • The infinite multitude of alternative domain extensions now available, watering down the market
  • Artificial Intelligence- I recently watched a video by an "internet founding father" who seemed to know his stuff although I am not entirely sure of his credentials, which basically suggests domain names will trend towards being obsolete over the course of the next 5-10 years
Grateful for your thoughts.

I hope the poll works!

DI

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • Artificial Intelligence- I recently watched a video by an "internet founding father" who seemed to know his stuff although I am not entirely sure of his credentials, which basically suggests domain names will trend towards being obsolete over the course of the next 5-10 years
Domain names were declared 'obsolete' many years ago in some SEO circles :rolleyes:
The reasoning being, that more and more searches are done through search engines. But a website still needs an address to be located.
I can imagine that domain names could become less important in branding strategy, however I don't believe in this scenario for the near future. Because businesses need to advertise their brands, and for this they advertise URLs, that is domain names...

Domain names have become valuable just because they are advertising tools. In 1992 there was no WWW, so you didn't need a sexy domain back then. Domain names were mostly used for E-mail. They didn't have to be good or memorable.

•••
Next time you're driving down the road and see a plumbers truck try to memorize the phone number and the website address. Later on try to recall both. As long as a business needs to be found there will always be a way to find them and until that way exists and replaces the ease of remembering a url then I don't think we have to worry about the url going away anytime soon.

1-800 numbers were the next step up from a regular phone number because they were easy to recall in memory and the internet didn't exist so a business was reached by phone. Then the internet was created and the link to a business was replaced from a phone number to the url. There is nothing that will replace the internet so the url will never be replaced. There will always be a value in urls until something replaces how we link DIRECTLY to a company and how easily we can recall that company from our brain. Even longer urls are going to become more popular because they are easier to remember than a phone number. This is why I don't understand the Chinese market for long 6,7,8,9 number numerics. If we can't remember a phone number then how can we recall multiple numeric domains from multiple companies that use long numerics? Obviously that is a whole other subject but it does baffle me.

Brick and mortar stores at some point can't survive against the onslaught of the internet and every single business is going to want/have to be online which should only increase the value of good domains. The future of the brick and mortar store is going to be a combination of storefront/warehouse facility that sells to the walk in public and also stores and ships products online. Everybody and their mother is going to want/need a url.

•••
All,

I have been doing some research recently, particularly on the future of domaining. I have come into this game late and what with the exponential progression of technology I am sure this is a question many of you will have also already pondered on. "How much longer will be see big sums being paid for domain?"

Whilst it is clear that the internet will be an integral part of our lives almost indefinitely (unles you know otherwise!), the value of domains is certainly an area for discussion. Granted they will never cease to exist but their usefulness in the face of emerging tech is a question. How much of an effect on future pricing will the below have for example:
  • China and other countries/markets joining
  • The infinite multitude of alternative domain extensions now available, watering down the market
Grateful for your thoughts.

I hope the poll works!

DI

It's difficult to not have doubts about an industry if you're just beginning to know it. My perspective is this:

1 - Most people on Earth don't have Internet access yet. Only 40% of people have access to internet TODAY, so the web has huge development room, think about how many more domain names will be needed by the time we reach 50%.. then 60%... and so on. The more people, the more demand.

2 - New technologies are not likely to change EVERYTHING in 5-10 years. Let's compare with bitcoin. Amazing technology, transfer money instantly anywhere in the world for insignificant fees, many believed it will take the world by storm, cash will become obsolete in a few years and banks will disappear, but after 6 years since its inception the number of people using bitcoin is still VERY small. Bitcoin is accepted in a lot of places but that doesn't mean it's mainstream, it's just another alternative, we like to use btc but also cash, credit cards etc. Finally, any new technology that can replace domain names will most likely become just another alternative, and replacing it completely will take many more decades of transitions.

3 - If you're a good domainer you are also a good entrepreneur and sales person. Domaining is amazing for getting sales skills fast, opposed to other industries. You don't have to risk much, you can start small and grow from there. The "product" is digital, fast, you're not selling real estate or whatever has a big sales cycle, you can have many sales in a short time-frame which accelerates your learning process. After you learn a few lessons you can become profitable quick too, buy for $1, sell for $5. Rinse and repeat! With time you'll get more and more quality domains and pay less and less for mistakes. Gotta love the industry margins too. And finally, even if domains become obsolete in 10 years (not gonna happen), you'll be an awesome entrepreneur and sales person, you'll be able to sell anything you like, start any business venture that tickles your fancy.

•••
Hello,

Great domains will stay valuable as long as internet navigation and marketing depends on them. I guess I'll be long gone before that.

Crappy domains will continue to sell for peanuts, or not at all.

The tricky part is how to get the great (or at least good) ones without spending more than you earn.

•••
I believe the biggest challenge the domain investor faces is that generally speaking the potential buyers of domain names (small business owners, developers, executives with purchase authority) do not place much value on branding via a domain name. So while these businesses will spend thousands and thousands of dollars on online marketing, travel, professional services, website development and other IT costs, executive bonuses, the thought of spending more than $XX for a domain name seems like extortion. Attempts to market a domain name to a targeted end user are often viewed as spam. Since there are more than 100 million .COM registrations, the end user attempts to add extra words or abbreviations or hyphens or numbers or maybe use an alternative extension to come up with something which is available. The launch of hundreds of new TLDs will give such tight-fisted end users more options. That does not mean investing in those new extensions will generate favorable results. As long as the potential buyer can still get creative to avoid having to pay more than $30 for a domain, they are not as likely to open their wallet for an aftermarket domain.

That is until there is a seismic shift in end user value placed on branding via domain names.

Will we see a massive shift in the value placed on branding using domain names in the next few years (given it has not happened as of 2015)?

•••
Even longer urls are going to become more popular because they are easier to remember than a phone number. This is why I don't understand the Chinese market for long 6,7,8,9 number numerics. If we can't remember a phone number then how can we recall multiple numeric domains from multiple companies that use long numerics?
Asians are not comfortable with ASCII.

Branding is everything. If I see a company on the road with great branding I would choose them over hundreds of others in the exact same business.
You've raised one of the most important characteristics of a winning domain name: memorability.
Some domains are clearly better than others, domain names that are credible and memorable will certainly be sought after, especially when exposure time is limited: TV advertising, or the truck passing by the road. You URL has to make a lasting impression.

•••
Three quick points:

(1) You're confusing branding with domain names.
(2) I carry an instant memorization device with me at all times (almost).
(3) Most of the dealings I have with companies on a local basis have ZERO dependence on their website (I had a job done by a plumber last month and I don't even know if they have a website)

Yes. Many Companies advertise their brands. The relationship of brand to domain varies VASTLY depending on the type and scope of their needs. More often than not, the need is vastly overstated by domainers who tend focus their attention to national/international brands which biases their understanding.

Yes and no. What you say is true; however, the brand is often greater than domain and they are NOT the same thing.

To answer the question in the OP.
Domains will always have value dependent on the same three factors that exist today:

1) Marketing return on investment
2) Vanity
3) Whether you can find idiots with more money than sense.

The likelihood is that (1) will reduce over time but (2) and (3) sometimes seem to have limitless potential.
1. Hate to tell you but anything that helps us remember a company is a form of branding.

2. Rarely when I see something I may need at some point in time do I write it down on my "Memorization Device" but my memory recalls that domain name pretty easily 99% of the time.

3. Not sure how you find local companies, I threw out my Yellow Pages years ago. When I do look I find them online and if they don't have a website I find a company that does. It is part of the narrowing down process of who I want doing my plumbing. I want someone who is extremely professional and some of what helps me narrow down the hundreds of options is their website. If they don't have an online presence then I find someone that does. I can tell from their website 9 times out of 10 if I want them in my house or not.

•••
1 WORD and short .COM'S WILL ALWAYS BE KING.

how are you going to compete with domains like Cars.com, Z.com, Insurance.com.

the new extensions will have value but nothing in comparison to the best .com domains.

•••
Three quick points:

(3) Most of the dealings I have with companies on a local basis have ZERO dependence on their website (I had a job done by a plumber last month and I don't even know if they have a website)

Yes. Many Companies advertise their brands. The relationship of brand to domain varies VASTLY depending on the type and scope of their needs. More often than not, the need is vastly overstated by domainers who tend focus their attention to national/international brands which biases their understanding.

Yes and no. What you say is true; however, the brand is often greater than domain and they are NOT the same thing.

Domains will always have value dependent on the same three factors that exist today:

2) Vanity

The likelihood is that (1) will reduce over time but (2) and (3) sometimes seem to have limitless potential.

Thanks for your personal opinions, but I'm afraid your personal habits are unusual as surveys are showing something like 85% of the U.S population is mainly using the internet to find even local businesses.

If you read some of the many success stories from companies which have paid huge sums for great domain names, you will learn that the domain they purchased often saved so much in marketing cost that it paid for itself in only a few months and now provides additional FREE marketing benefits FOREVER for their company.

•••
I know what we're discussing here. I was referring to what DU said in point #3 below. That is why I mentioned the website.

But to the point of the discussion.... a local plumber certainly doesn't need to own "plumbers.com" or any high priced domain for that matter. If they wanted a site, joebobsplumbing.com would be just fine, or any slight variation to find a unique name.

On the other hand, a company that helps people find plumbers in various locals would definitely pay big bucks for plumbers.com ... or a major plumbing brand... Or a plumbing company servicing a large metro area (like NYC) could easily afford to pay big bucks to save tons on ads because the number of times you need to see "plumbers.com" to remember it vs "johnsnycplumbing.com" is vastly different and a market the size of NYC, this quickly works out. (Surely they'd expand elsewhere after success in NYC.)

•••
Like any other market, Pricing is determined by demand.
So if you see demand going down, so go's prices.
If you see supply being up from all the new TLD's...
I have herd that before and yet to see it happen.
It could happen, but I don't see it in the next 5 years anyway.

What you are seeing is a increase in the number of NDA's ...
So most 'higher priced' sales are under the radar.
You can't track what you don't know about.

Gives you the appearance that prices are falling by listed sales reports and fewer of them.
I think it is alive and kicking. But the NDA'a do make it hard to determine market breath and depth.

•••
There are less than 50% of Earth population connected to internet, also internet is still young, so domain prices will go only higher at least for next 20 years.

•••
Those that leave their future in the hands of third-party companies like FB will soon regret it. You have absolutely no control and can lose everything with just a few policy changes. I saw this happening with Facebook groups.

Long live domain names!

•••
Branding is everything. If I see a company on the road with great branding I would choose them over hundreds of others in the exact same business. If that company has a generic company name like Bobs Plumbing and I searched for them on Google how would I know which Bobs Plumbing I saw? Reason being there is BobsPlumbing.com, Bobsplumbingandheatinginc.com, BobsPlumbingServices.com, BobsPlumbingInc.com, BobsPlumbing.net, BobsPlumbingandHeating.biz, BobsInstantPlumbing.net and on and on........

No confusion if they have a memorable domain name that can easily be recalled.

Three quick points:

Because businesses need to advertise their brands, and for this they advertise URLs, that is domain names...

You've raised one of the most important characteristics of a winning domain name: memorability.
Some domains are clearly better than others, domain names that are credible and memorable will certainly be sought after, especially when exposure time is limited: TV advertising, or the truck passing by the road. You URL has to make a lasting impression.

2) Vanity

•••
But to the point of the discussion.... a local plumber certainly doesn't need to own "plumbers.com" or any high priced domain for that matter. If they wanted a site, joebobsplumbing.com would be just fine, or any slight variation to find a unique name.

On the other hand, a company that helps people find plumbers in various locals would definitely pay big bucks for plumbers.com ... or a major plumbing brand... Or a plumbing company servicing a large metro area (like NYC) could easily afford to pay big bucks to save tons on ads because the number of times you need to see "plumbers.com" to remember it vs "johnsnycplumbing.com" is vastly different and a market the size of NYC, this quickly works out. (Surely they'd expand elsewhere after success in NYC.)
I agree that you don't need to own a category killer but you do need to own a memorable domain and memorable domain names will always be in demand.

•••
I know what we're discussing here. I was referring to what DU said in point #3 below. That is why I mentioned the website.

I'm odd because I don't buy books based on the cover either :)

To be clear - I'm not suggesting that companies should neglect their website. I am saying that consumers should be more educated than to rely on a website for their information. Basically, you're relying on non-core competency to tell you something about their business.

That said, what domainers define as a need for what they defined as a high quality website domain is vastly overstated for the majority of businesses that are simply small scale. What matters is that you have an effective digital marketing strategy. A domain is a piece of that - the relative size of that component dependent on the overall strategy. A decent social presence is often far more important.

1. Hate to tell you but anything that helps us remember a company is a form of branding.

2. Rarely when I see something I may need at some point in time do I write it down on my "Memorization Device" but my memory recalls that domain name pretty easily 99% of the time.

3. Not sure how you find local companies, I threw out my Yellow Pages years ago. When I do look I find them online and if they don't have a website I find a company that does. It is part of the narrowing down process of who I want doing my plumbing. I want someone who is extremely professional and some of what helps me narrow down the hundreds of options is their website. If they don't have an online presence then I find someone that does. I can tell from their website 9 times out of 10 if I want them in my house or not.

My "memorization device" is simply my phone. It can record phone numbers, websites, company names.. it can even take a photo that gives me the perfect record of what / where to contact. It also lets me know, for example with landscapers, which house they were working on at the time. I have offloaded the need to remember :)

You search online and pick a name that has a website... then what? You rank them on quality of website?

Quick example for me. If I want to have my boat cleaned in Fort Lauderdale... who should I call based on a quick analysis?

1 WORD and short .COM'S WILL ALWAYS BE KING.

how are you going to compete with domains like Cars.com, Z.com, Insurance.com.

the new extensions will have value but nothing in comparison to the best .com domains.

Who is trying to compete with Cars.com, Z.com, Insurance.com? WTF is z.com? It's 1 letter but so what?

Thanks for your personal opinions, but I'm afraid your personal habits are unusual as surveys are showing something like 85% of the U.S population is mainly using the internet to find even local businesses.

If you read some of the many success stories from companies which have paid huge sums for great domain names, you will learn that the domain they purchased often saved so much in marketing cost that it paid for itself in only a few months and now provides additional FREE marketing benefits FOREVER for their company.

Again it depends vastly on who and what you are. A national company, an international company is very different from a small and local business. Whether a domain pays for itself in a small scale market is a different set of equations than whether a million dollar domain pays for itself. Regardless, it all needs to fit into a budget that is created for a business' economic circumstances and goals and performance capacity. It's a constant re-evaluation process.

The reality is that most people on domain forums are not dealing with these types of one word killed names names. A lot of companies are not dependent on a domain as first point of contact. The sales and marketing channels are diverse and domainers tend to focus on one and claim that businesses just "don't get the internet" when more often domainers "don't get the economics of small business".

Domainers look at sales of Z.com and think it's relevant to their holdings picked up for $10-$1000 last week when it's night and day. The value of my house is largely unaffected by the fact that Petra Stunt spent $85 million of her Daddy's money on her home.

Also - FOREVER is a very long time.

I agree that you don't need to own a category killer but you do need to own a memorable domain and memorable domain names will always be in demand.

Define memorable :)

Last edited:
•••
I do not buy in to stories that domains will become obsolete and that everybody will use facebook or the likes.

Just like they said tablets will replace computers, they did not, they just gave us more options to surf. Tablets are just 25% of the total market by sales. I use my phone, I use my tablet, I use my laptop and I use my desktop.

Apps will not replace domain names any time soon. And by that I mean in the next 50 years.

•••
In any search for a viable company to do business with there has to be somewhat of a narrowing down process of a long list of candidates. Professionalism is one of the top things I look for in any company and the way to help determine that is starting from the top and working my way down. So I naturally would put my top candidates as those that have a web presence because this in my opinion is what professionalism is all about.

When you want to get your boat cleaned and don't have someone that can give you a really good recommendation then I would assume you don't stand in front of your house and yell for one but would logically go online and do a search. When you do a search I would also assume you wouldn't pick one from yellowpages.com but would search and analyze those that have a web presence because it is a very good indicator most of the time of the type of business they are. If you can give me a better starting point then I would love to hear it because I'm always looking for a good company to do all sorts of work. :)

We judge a book by it's cover more times then not. When I want a new car, a new boat or a new house I always judge the book by the cover first until I have a chance to understand all the other fine details. If there are ten girls all smiling sitting at bar what determines their ranking order if you have not met anyone yet?

The first option is looking for recommendation. Some small businesses get 90+% of their work through referrals and the remaining through indirect referrals (i.e. Angies List). The reason I asked specific question was to see what you would do from Google.
Untitled-1.png
This is a typical approach if you have no starting point.
The "red" is paid ads.
The "blue" is local ads that don't even show a website name but just a button.
The "green" are the first page of results

For a search "Fort Lauderdale Boat Cleaning"

The best "name" on the paid ad? MyYachtManagement or DetailDaddy (wtf?)

First two entries in blue? Same company with a Facebook page.
The 3rd entry does look professional - xtrememarinedetail.com - a bit of a hack but prominently displayed a referral bonus :)

Next in order for me:

www.yellowpages.com › Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.yoloyachtservices.com/
www.fort-lauderdale-marine-directory.com/categories/66.php
www.xtrememarinedetail.com
miami.craigslist.org/search/brw/mas
www.aplusmarinedetailing.com/
debbiesboatdetailing.com/

Two directories, one ad site... and 4 companies... with domains that you consider to be bad, good, excellent? Or do you hunt down on to page two or change your search.

I actually would recommend someone not even on this list :)

So how do you think the above companies would benefit from a large investment in a domain name? I had a pool remodel done and the number one factor for me was no subcontractor and personal choice of plaster type - the main decent names were larger companies, none of which meant that basic criteria :)

But that's my opinion and I'm happy for everyone to have their own opinion, their own method for searching and doing research. My advice to small /medium business will still always be to approach naming their company and domain as part of an overall digital plan and not focus too much one thing or the other - with a heavy focus on social platforms. People say that companies relying on third parties will fail.... I say those that don't will fail! You still need your "own home" but it just needs to be just a bit more professional than the next guy... and ahead of them where it matters (which is often Facebook, Angies List and BS sites like that).

I actually advise some people to "dress down" when meeting clients in the service industry. No one wants their lawn cut by a guy traveling around in a brand new $90,000 truck :)

•••
I agree that there is a certain amount of risk that needs to be factored into buying decisions. I personally make decisions under the assumption that domains will not be a thing in 6 years. It's probably conservative, but I can still spend nearly all of my bankroll.

•••
I had the same thinking 10 years ago thinking there was not big enough money in domaining and all the very good names were gone, so I moved on to other areas to make money.

The market is way more open now and i would say more fluid too, also thanks to the Chinese flooding the market lately.

Personally I fee like businesses and big companies are now more open to the new gtld domains and this is obviously due to several factors like time, marketing, etc, etc. Im of the opinion that new gtlds are slowly ripening and they might just disrupt the status quo.

Im thinking old fashioned dot com will still be the king for at least the next 2 to 5 years.

One thing is always certain in domaining, and I guess outside domaining too, that is if you got the brain plus the money, you are more than likely to make it worthwhile.

•••
It wasn't related to domaining, just how things could change online.. For example, I can make a website display inside a Facebook app. Negating the need for a url.. Just one example.

No one said it, so let me point out what a horrible idea to build a website inside a facebook app. While it's certainly an alternative, it doesn't mean it's a good one.

•••
I'm odd because I don't buy books based on the cover either :)

To be clear - I'm not suggesting that companies should neglect their website. I am saying that consumers should be more educated than to rely on a website for their information. Basically, you're relying on non-core competency to tell you something about their business.

That said, what domainers define as a need for what they defined as a high quality website domain is vastly overstated for the majority of businesses that are simply small scale. What matters is that you have an effective digital marketing strategy. A domain is a piece of that - the relative size of that component dependent on the overall strategy. A decent social presence is often far more important.

My "memorization device" is simply my phone. It can record phone numbers, websites, company names.. it can even take a photo that gives me the perfect record of what / where to contact. It also lets me know, for example with landscapers, which house they were working on at the time. I have offloaded the need to remember :)

You search online and pick a name that has a website... then what? You rank them on quality of website?

Quick example for me. If I want to have my boat cleaned in Fort Lauderdale... who should I call based on a quick analysis?

Who is trying to compete with Cars.com, Z.com, Insurance.com? WTF is z.com? It's 1 letter but so what?

Again it depends vastly on who and what you are. A national company, an international company is very different from a small and local business. Whether a domain pays for itself in a small scale market is a different set of equations than whether a million dollar domain pays for itself. Regardless, it all needs to fit into a budget that is created for a business' economic circumstances and goals and performance capacity. It's a constant re-evaluation process.

The reality is that most people on domain forums are not dealing with these types of one word killed names names. A lot of companies are not dependent on a domain as first point of contact. The sales and marketing channels are diverse and domainers tend to focus on one and claim that businesses just "don't get the internet" when more often domainers "don't get the economics of small business".

Domainers look at sales of Z.com and think it's relevant to their holdings picked up for $10-$1000 last week when it's night and day. The value of my house is largely unaffected by the fact that Petra Stunt spent $85 million of her Daddy's money on her home.

Also - FOREVER is a very long time.

Define memorable :)
In any search for a viable company to do business with there has to be somewhat of a narrowing down process of a long list of candidates. Professionalism is one of the top things I look for in any company and the way to help determine that is starting from the top and working my way down. So I naturally would put my top candidates as those that have a web presence because this in my opinion is what professionalism is all about.

When you want to get your boat cleaned and don't have someone that can give you a really good recommendation then I would assume you don't stand in front of your house and yell for one but would logically go online and do a search. When you do a search I would also assume you wouldn't pick one from yellowpages.com but would search and analyze those that have a web presence because it is a very good indicator most of the time of the type of business they are. If you can give me a better starting point then I would love to hear it because I'm always looking for a good company to do all sorts of work. :)

We judge a book by it's cover more times then not. When I want a new car, a new boat or a new house I always judge the book by the cover first until I have a chance to understand all the other fine details. If there are ten girls all smiling sitting at bar what determines their ranking order if you have not met anyone yet?

•••
Are domains gong to be gone? Will apps (or Facebook app) or something else replace them?

No!

I'll come back to that statement in 30 years and bet it's still accessed via "NamePros.com"!

The internet is vastly bigger in complexity than what is being suggested and discussed. And neither Facebook nor Google or anyone else as a single entity will "take over" this global and shared structure. They do not define it, even by marketing and providing some amazing option, they are still just a part of it.

It's this simple:
We will always need a unique identifier to access devices and resources on the internet.

Currently we use IP address, and domain names to map to IP addresses for our comfort.

This could be changed, it could be replaced by something else. However, factoring in the absolute necessity for unique identifiers, essentially to be able to say "I want that one", what could such a simple identifier be?

Is there anything better or more simple to easily identify something than "words" - aka domain names? No, I don't believe there is :)

(Well, numbers if you are Chinese, but that's still a domain name :D)

And I believe, therefore, that "big sums" will always be paid for domain names. More businesses start up every day. I don't think this venture is going anywhere at all ;)

For example, I can make a website display inside a Facebook app. Negating the need for a url.. Just one example.

How would (eg) Asda/Walmart's entire product catalogue (tens of thousands of items) go through a 3rd party (Facebook) app? It's not practical. Facebook do not have access to the company's database so they'd essentially just be a forwarder. What is the point or benefit of a forwarder? Even with Facebook APIs, wouldn't Asda/Walmart have their own app?

Smaller, tiny business might use this instead of a website/domain name of their own, but I doubt this will affect much domain name trade.

As for a takeover and remove the need for URLs, this isn't going to happen even in Facebook's wildest wettest dreams.

Can apps take away our need for domain names

Moving on from Facebook and just "apps in general":

Apps have less functionality than browsers, and always will based on their nature.
Apps link directly to the apps owner, such as Asda/Walmart app, Dominos app (hmm...), with no where to type in a domain name, if you could type a domain name into an app, then it's a browser not an app.

So if apps took over there would be no domain names, but then, to be able to state "I want that one", we'd need the app from the website we want to browse, right?

So, instead of domain names to state which resource we want, we'd have an app for every website, in the world? Nah.

We only use apps for the major sites or ones we frequent, they cannot replace browsers, and browsers need some kind of unique indentifier/URL, and again, domain names/words seem to be better than anything.

Domain names are safe!

Artificial Intelligence- I recently watched a video by an "internet founding father" who seemed to know his stuff although I am not entirely sure of his credentials, which basically suggests domain names will trend towards being obsolete over the course of the next 5-10 years
And be replaced with what? Can you tell us the name of the video or some info so we can see it?

Head & Shoulders have been telling us all for years we should use their product or we'll get dandruff - "Hey, you don't have dandruff" - "Exactly".

But, I don't use Head & shoulders, and don't have dandruff... Just because I'm a blazing mad rebel.

Sorry, but I need to have some info before even contemplating what this might be about. Especially "within 5-10 years". This is nonsense. Such mammoth things do not change that quickly these days as too much depends on it all.

Seriously, imagine right now telling every business, web designer, developer, server admin, registrar, forum, blog owner, search engine, and many more, that "In 5-10 years you won't use a domain name".
Do you have any idea the sort of planning that would take, and how many people would be involved across the globe?

Hell, it took many years to even begin to get business to go over to IPv6, and that was an infinitely simple operation compared to "no more URLs or domain names".

Domain names are going nowhere.

Some scientist or philosopher is always going on about "something" that's going to come along and change the world, the planet, or the internet, and let's face it, the millions of huge predictions people churn out never happen 99.999% of the time.
It's mostly marketing hype, or someone trying to make/remake a name for themselves. That said, it would be interesting to know the source of this "everything is going to change and domains obsolete". :)

If there are ten girls all smiling sitting at bar what determines their ranking order if you have not met anyone yet?
Ranking order? I see we have different ideals. I'd be hoping for 20 shoes strewn around my bedroom :xf.grin:

•••
I've read about this as well and can see it happening.. More app based and / or everything tied into a few large sites like Facebook and Amazon.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back