IT.COM

poll How much do you earn from domaining per month?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What's your average gross profit per month from domaining?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Renewal fees are greater than income

• +-0

• $1 - $100

• $101 - $200

• $201 - $300

• $301 - $400

• $401 - $500

• $501 - $1000

• $1001 - $2000

• $2001 - $3000

• $3001 - $4000

• $4001 - $5000

• $5001 - $10000

• $10001 - $20000

• More than $20000

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

How much is your average income per month in gross profit from domaining (total income, minus renewals and taxes)?

Ps. The votes are not publicly displayed together with user names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good poll. I must admit, I develop (at least minisites) to generate revenue while the domain awaits a buyer so that has a (great!) impact on income. If you have even basic development and SEO skills, I highly recommend this over parking and relying on PPC pennies.

•••
I am familiar with the terms gross income and net profit, but not gross profit. what exactly is that?

•••
Hello,

How much is your average income per month in gross profit from domaining (total income, minus renewals and taxes)?

Ps. The votes are not publicly displayed together with user names.
What about deducting the cost of the domain?

•••
I am familiar with the terms gross income and net profit, but not gross profit. what exactly is that?

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/grossprofit.asp

Maybe a term used for companies more than people. I'm a Swede, so I will blame any language mistakes on that, hehe.

maxresdefault.jpg

•••

Just guessing, but if you're familiar with corporate earnings reports, I suspect it would be similar to EBITDA (earnings before income tax depreciation and amortization)...

So if you buy domain for 10$ , spend $20 on renewals, sell for $40 that would be $10 gross profit or EBITDA on that single domain as your tax situation and so on vary from country to country. Now, if the question is based on your entire portfolio than you have to calculate renewal costs and or hosting etc for the whole portfolio as part of the rev-profit number... and not just single domain sales.

Again, just a guess and my $0.02 (tax-free :D :D)

•••
Not much. I devoted most of my time to development of portfolio yet. Once I shall finish it, revenue may increased from domains.

•••
In theory a good idea but most sites don't generate good revenue.

Good poll. I must admit, I develop (at least minisites) to generate revenue while the domain awaits a buyer so that has a (great!) impact on income. If you have even basic development and SEO skills, I highly recommend this over parking and relying on PPC pennies.

•••
wow, 8 persons earning More than $20000 monthly

•••
Also interesting to know is that so far most people (around 21%) in this poll voted that their renewal fees are greater than their income. And if you add the ones that break even and the ones that make between $1 and $100 per month we're at around 52% of all people who voted. So 52% of all domainers who voted make less than $100 a month.

Last edited:
•••
Also interesting to know is that so far most people (around 21%) in this poll voted that their renewal fees are greater than their income. And if you add the ones that break even and the ones that make between $1 and $100 per month we're at around 52% of all people who voted. So 52% of all domainers make less than $100 a month.

Is that called capitalism

•••
Some interesting results on this poll....

•••
Interesting votes casted...

•••
Also interesting to know is that so far most people (around 21%) in this poll voted that their renewal fees are greater than their income. And if you add the ones that break even and the ones that make between $1 and $100 per month we're at around 52% of all people who voted. So 52% of all domainers who voted make less than $100 a month.
Im sure that more than 52 percent of people on do domaining as a hobby though and the people making 20000 are doing it as a living. If I could make 3k proffit a month id give up work lol.

•••
Most of the people voting $240,000+ per year will be trolls and people too ashamed to admit their vote should be at the other end of the scale.

•••
•••
err about -£5 a month haha.

I am going to start doing mini sites for my best domains see how it goes.

•••
Not surprisingly, more than half of us are making less than $100/month or lose money. Domaining is a incredibly tough business - it's best to get to the point where you join the other 50% and just see it as a fun hobby that makes you a little money on the side!

•••
not much only $200 around all time.

•••

That's how i want to approach it , i have 19 domains, not planning on buying anymore until i can learn how to build some kind of minisite that is relevant to the domain name and then maybe after a few months see what my top 5 are, look at the backlinks, traffic, keywords etc and put my best ones up for auction. At the moment they are just parked, i've got about 250 uniques for all of them collectively but my top one only has 24 uniques so in order to increase the attractiveness of the domain i must build more into it. I think parking is a good way to see at least what ones are worth developing after viewing a month or two of stats.

•••
It's not just about having a good name in your basket, its also about show-casing to the right people at the right time

•••

Where do you recommend hosting (eventually) several dozen domain mini sites, inexpensively, to maximize their income?

•••
Where do you recommend hosting (eventually) several dozen domain mini sites, inexpensively, to maximize their income?
even I would be interested if someone made a topic for US Domainers to monetize the domains using any affiliates which are successfully being made use of ..we had invested so much, we would want to go that extent as well. IMO.

•••

even I would be interested if someone made a topic for US Domainers to monetize the domains using any affiliates which are successfully being made use of ..we had invested so much, we would want to go that extent as well. IMO.

Instead of developing all domains, I would suggest to develop only one and redirect all others to that. It will help you to be more specific in creating contents and marketing.

•••
@bluebox, that's an uninformed and pessimistic statement. It's very doable to earn $240,000+ per year from domaining if you put forth the time, effort, and avoid the addiction of building a collection (buying just to buy) instead of building a business (buying what sells and doubling down on those domains).

Many domainers reinvest everything they earn until they're happy with the size of their domain name portfolio. Once they stop reinvesting their earnings, their profits soar. I did this recently, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Far more domainers earn $240,000+ than you may realize, because there's no benefit to telling everyone publicly. The people who like to boast about their earnings are already well known in this business, but there are a lot more who earn just as much and don't talk about it publicly. You can meet some of them at conferences and learn about it over drinks.

•••
Back