Dynadot

poll How much do you earn from domaining per month?

NameSilo
Watch

What's your average gross profit per month from domaining?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Renewal fees are greater than income

• +-0

• $1 - $100

• $101 - $200

• $201 - $300

• $301 - $400

• $401 - $500

• $501 - $1000

• $1001 - $2000

• $2001 - $3000

• $3001 - $4000

• $4001 - $5000

• $5001 - $10000

• $10001 - $20000

• More than $20000

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

How much is your average income per month in gross profit from domaining (total income, minus renewals and taxes)?

Ps. The votes are not publicly displayed together with user names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just guessing, but if you're familiar with corporate earnings reports, I suspect it would be similar to EBITDA (earnings before income tax depreciation and amortization)...

So if you buy domain for 10$ , spend $20 on renewals, sell for $40 that would be $10 gross profit or EBITDA on that single domain as your tax situation and so on vary from country to country. Now, if the question is based on your entire portfolio than you have to calculate renewal costs and or hosting etc for the whole portfolio as part of the rev-profit number... and not just single domain sales.

Again, just a guess and my $0.02 (tax-free :D :D)
It's not at all like EBITDA because there's really no amortization or depreciation when talking about a single or even portfolio of domain names-now if you own 123.com and borrow against and amortize it ( as im sure no one here does lol) that's a different story but it's a good point you brought up.

•••
An long time domainer once told me, that if you make less then 10k usd in month, its not worth it.

•••
An long time domainer once told me, that if you make less then 10k usd in month, its not worth it.

Not sure I agree with that rationale. Often you can put in much less work than a 8 hour a day job, as well as do many things on your own time schedule from the comfort of your home.

Brad

•••
Depends on where you are from. Some countries has 700 EUR (or even less) avarage monthly salary, so I would say even 700 EUR earnings with the comfort of home is already better.

•••

Still better than to work at McDonald's for 2K, or even much less in many countries.

Ps. No, I have never worked at McDonald's, but before I became self-employed 12 years ago, I worked as a PE teacher for less than 3K a month. I liked that as well, but I would rather do what I do today, even for the same money.

•••

10K a month. That is 120K per year.

I don't know who told you that, but not a lot of people in the world are making 120K a year. Most families (2 working people) don't even make 100K a year.

That long time domainer is quite disconnected from what real life situation is salary-wise.

•••
10K a month. That is 120K per year.

I don't know who told you that, but not a lot of people in the world are making 120K a year. Most families (2 working people) don't even make 100K a year.

That long time domainer is quite disconnected from what real life situation is salary-wise.
Depends what he meant by "making".

"Making" $10K profit or "making" a $10K sale?

•••
Depends what he meant by "making".

"Making" $10K profit or "making" a $10K sale?

exactly, if you are clearing $10K a month net profit then you have no reason to complain, that's more than most people earn, if that's $10k gross profit, that just means your selling $10k worth of goods or services. I could go out tomorrow and buy something for $9k and sell it for $10k and my gross profit would be $10k but my net profit would be less than $1k

•••

Considering what minimum wage is at I would have to disagree with that. Especially since you can do it from your home no office expenses really needed.

•••
exactly, if you are clearing $10K a month net profit then you have no reason to complain, that's more than most people earn, if that's $10k gross profit, that just means your selling $10k worth of goods or services. I could go out tomorrow and buy something for $9k and sell it for $10k and my gross profit would be $10k but my net profit would be less than $1k
What you have described is revenue, not gross profit.

Revenue = Sale price (eg $10K)

Gross Profit = Sale price minus the cost of goods sold (eg $10K minus $9K=$1K)

Net Profit = Gross profit minus other costs such as commissions, interest, taxes etc

•••

Long time ago, but now domaining has become more competitive and good domains are harder to find.

So back then, I am sure it was possible to earn $10K a month (on a regular basis) but now it's pretty much rare and tough.

I believe the guy gave this advice to emphasize on the "charming side" of the domaining to motivate and educate about the potential of domaining back then.

•••
I see so many ROI references here when that is not very relevant (bought for $10 sold for $1000 oh that is yuuuge ROI type of discussions), yet for this thread, where it is truly relevant. Those who make $20000+ per month probably have $1M-3M of their cash locked up in domains and could have made similar return elsewhere.

•••
if you don't know how much cash and time, one "puts into" domaining every month, then what they earn back is irrelevant.

unless you just wanna gawk at a number.

imo.....

•••
Renewal fees are greater than income

^ yes i'd say so

•••
Not sure I agree with that rationale. Often you can put in much less work than a 8 hour a day job, as well as do many things on your own time schedule from the comfort of your home.

Brad

Not everyone wants to work from home!
Also some people have bigger needs in this life. I mean you sell domains your whole life and then your grandchild ask you: granddaddy what did you achive in your life? And then you say I stayed home and sold domains.

•••
Also some people have bigger needs in this life. I mean you sell domains your whole life and then your grandchild ask you: granddaddy what did you achive in your life? And then you say I stayed home and sold domains.

I may have answered : I created and raised your daddy / mommy... and in part, you. :)

•••

I think it's too simplistic to see it that way....if you take as an example successful domainers that share their business tips, their sales, that are usually interviewed and seen as a reference within the industry......I don't think that means not to achieve anything. In my opinion, that's what success means, since they enjoy what they do, make money from it, and are good at it...what else could you ask for? And if domaining becomes a business that allows you to be independent enough...you can work from anywhere, travel, learn other things and have new hobbies...then, when your grandchildren ask about what you achieved...maybe you could say "Many things: freedom, being in control of my life and my time, getting to learn a whole lot of things and discover great cities and places, becoming totally independent and being able to master one of the most difficult activities that can be done online (domaining)..and I love what I do, that´s what I achieved". At least I would be happy for it.....its more than enough...

•••
•••
I think it's too simplistic to see it that way....if you take as an example successful domainers that share their business tips, their sales, that are usually interviewed and seen as a reference within the industry......I don't think that means not to achieve anything. In my opinion, that's what success means, since they enjoy what they do, make money from it, and are good at it...what else could you ask for? And if domaining becomes a business that allows you to be independent enough...you can work from anywhere, travel, learn other things and have new hobbies...then, when your grandchildren ask about what you achieved...maybe you could say "Many things: freedom, being in control of my life and my time, getting to learn a whole lot of things and discover great cities and places, becoming totally independent and being able to master one of the most difficult activities that can be done online (domaining)..and I love what I do, that´s what I achieved". At least I would be happy for it.....its more than enough...
Thats your opinion,
All I am saying is, that there are people who would not be happy with that life

•••
Thats your opinion,
All I am saying is, that there are people who would not be happy with that life

when it comes to "work":

being "able" to stay at home or work from home, can be optional.

but it's a choice, that very few get to make.

imo...

•••
I earn about three fiddy :P

•••
Nice data. If you have been in domaining for at least one year and you are still not making thousands (at least per year), you are doing it wrong. Sit down and reflect about it for some time before you invest more...

•••

And what would be wrong with that answer? Selling domains is basically an online business, and no different than real estate flipping/selling.

Technology has evolved to that point. My end goal is to be able to work from home.

•••
And what would be wrong with that answer? Selling domains is basically an online business, and no different than real estate flipping/selling.

Technology has evolved to that point. My end goal is to be able to work from home.

why would you want to sit home all day long and sell domains?

•••
If you have been in domaining for at least one year and you are still not making thousands (at least per year), you are doing it wrong. .

i think don't quite agree with that conclusion as a plausible measure of success or failure, given the various variables that each individual has to face.

everyone doesn't have the same budget to start with.

so that single variable, can prevent or allow one to invest in higher priced names, therefore potentially gain higher roi's than one who doesn't initially have as much to invest or maybe from their perspective....gamble with.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back