Dynadot

discuss How many options do you give buyers when they first contact you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Scotty205

Established Member
Impact
Hi, I would like to know how many options everyone gives potential buyers? When I get my first response from a buyer, they say I am interested and want to buy, how do I proceed? At first I was telling the buyer that I need your Godaddy account and email so I can push it to you. But, some buyers don't like giving out their Godaddy account number.
So, to get around that, they either have used Godaddy Buy Service or I have created an auction for them and they bought the domain and paid the 20% fee.
So, my question is, do you think it's better to give the buyer more than 1 option?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,

I some what new to selling most people pay in 1 to 3 days it going on a week no payment and no email. Is it 7 days or 14 days till I do 2nd chance offer for 2nd highest bidder?

•••
Demand for being able to move your money out to not a bank account is 100% there, especially if you don't live in US.
As with selling on sites like Epik and CAX, with Epik to get a good deal, your domain needs to be with them, as with CAX, it can be anywhere.
Another advantage with CAX, as far as I know they use Masspay to move money out to PP, and that's only 2% fee. Plus I will be able to keep money in PP in US dollars, so no exchange fees like 3-4% when money is transferred to my local accounts that I can't have in US currency.
From a sale point to a point when money becomes available to you (either in your PP account or your local bank account) I don't see a cheaper option than CAX escrow. At least for guys like me that don't live in US.
:)

You can pay with paypal with escrow.com but then it has to go to a bank account.
https://www.escrow.com/support/faqs/how-does-paypal-work-with-escrowcom

if the other user signs up to your registrar you can push come from and go to any registrar with escrow as well. Is there really a huge demand to get paid other than to your bank account?

•••
I feel the average Joe just has no ideas how to reach a domain owner either by whois or any other means. Asking a friend could be legit or it could be just part of the plot.

I always get these crazy calls from private numbers around the holidays asking about my best names and telling me how worthless they are and they will offer a little more than what I paid. I actually only started asking for true identity after a seller demanded it from me when I was pricing a name for a friend. Thats pretty common.
I thought he was lost but made the sale.

•••
Just a follow up post as I have tested this for the last few weeks. I have all my domains at Godaddy. When a buyer is interested in my domain I give them 4 different options to buy the domain. I tell them that the fastest and easiest way to get the domain is for me to send a Paypal invoice to them and there are no fees. But, if they want to go thru Godaddy or Escrow.com then I tell them they will cover all fees.
It has worked very well as I used to get a lot of calls but that has kinda died down once I have gave more options to buy. Also, for domainers that dont speak English very well, this might be a great option for you. Hope this helps everyone.

•••
Hey,
I give them two options, one is that we can go manually through Godaddy and first I send domain to them. Second is buy now option at Godaddy auction, and we split auction fees. They always choose option one, and then problems arise. Incomplete data, incorrect email (when it says "Invalid ID"), or they do not know how to confirm the domain or do not see the domain in "Pending account changes". I give them step by step how to confirm the domain, or how to complete their whois, and why they have to do it, but sometimes it does not help. I have 3 domains right now where the price is agreed and can not make a transfer because two end users have incorrect data, and one end user do not see domain in "Pending account changes", and I confirmed email for transfer from Godaddy?! Do you also have these problems and how do you solve them? Sometimes the end users give up because it is too complicated or do not have time. Is there any other way of transfer that works for you? Maybe some other registar, where transfer between registar is easier for end users.

•••
Hey,
I give them two options, one is that we can go manually through Godaddy and first I send domain to them. Second is buy now option at Godaddy auction, and we split auction fees. They always choose option one, and then problems arise. Incomplete data, incorrect email (when it says "Invalid ID"), or they do not know how to confirm the domain or do not see the domain in "Pending account changes". I give them step by step how to confirm the domain, or how to complete their whois, and why they have to do it, but sometimes it does not help. I have 3 domains right now where the price is agreed and can not make a transfer because two end users have incorrect data, and one end user do not see domain in "Pending account changes", and I confirmed email for transfer from Godaddy?! Do you also have these problems and how do you solve them? Sometimes the end users give up because it is too complicated or do not have time. Is there any other way of transfer that works for you? Maybe some other registar, where transfer between registar is easier for end users.

Well when I first started in January I would choose the Use details from specified customer account option when I was pushing the domain to the customer. Well a month or so ago Godaddy was doing some updating to the way we push the domain. It was a pain so I consulted with someone that helped me when I first started and he told me to just use Do not change contact information.
Since I do that now, I inform the buyer that as soon as they take possession of the domain they have to change the contact info because it still shows as my info. Also, I have also noticed not to copy and paste the Godaddy account number. I have had minor issues but nothing that wasnt easily solved. If there is a problem I call Godaddy and get it resolved immediately as you do not want the customer to be waiting especially since I have already been paid. I try to offer top notch customer service. I always get paid upfront before the push begins. Do you always get paid before you start the push? I have sold 22 domains and no complaints and no one backed out of the deal after they paid.
I have never and really dont plan pushing to another register. I tell the customer that I will help them set up a Godaddy account if they dont have one. It takes just a couple minutes.

•••
Thanks Scotty,
when we do not change contact information, we do not have to write customer number? Or did you think that you do not copy and paste customer number but write it? I always transfer domain first, and then be paid.
It would be better way for me to get paid upfront, because end users would get involved more in the end of the job. But I'm not sure they would accept that they first pay the money. I have to try...

•••
Your welcome, thats the problem is you dont get paid upfront. I think you are just running into flaky buyers. We all have flaky buyers in this business. That's why its sooo much easier to start the push after you get paid because then they have money on the table and will want to complete the push.
Yes, you still need customer number and email that is associated with the Godaddy account, make sure they understand that as I have had them give me the wrong email address. Just type the Godaddy number in instead of copying it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back