Dynadot

poll How many of your domains can you remember!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

From memory, how many of your domains can you write down on a piece of paper?

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
Without looking at your portfolio how many of your domains can you write down on a piece of paper.

Would this number signify anything important and could this be considered the best size for a portfolio to have.

Everyone's welcomed to elaborate on this subject, but keep all comments professional, constructive, and on topic.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would have to say I would recall 20%-50% meaning that they all passed memory test and rest would require typing in and a bit of thought.

•••
If people have large portfolios and are doing okay as far as sales and renewals then that's great, but otherwise it might be a good idea to trim all the mediocre domains off your portfolio and try to keep a smaller collection that perhaps you can remember and have confidence in.

People might not realize how much pressure and anguish a large portfolio that is not performing can put on a domainer and so by making your collection more personalized in a way that you can remember most of your domains at the very least can make domaining fun again and it might also give you a new found energy to make better and bigger sales with the ones that you are confident enough to have been able to remember, of course this is just my opinion on this subject and ultimately domainers have to decide for themselves how much pressure and anguish they can handle juggling around hundreds or thousands of domains every day that are not getting them anywhere.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
I answered 100 of 200, but I could likely remember more.

Poll might work better if the answers were given as a percentage of your portfolio.

•••
I bought a domain a few days ago and honestly didn't even remember what it was when trying to think about it. LOL
and I'm buying an average of 1-2 domains a month.

•••
I answered 100 of 200, but I could likely remember more.

Poll might work better if the answers were given as a percentage of your portfolio.

You have a pretty good memory and or your domains are very memorable. :)

As far as the poll goes it might be too late to change it, but everyone can say what percentage of their portfolio they can remember in their comments in addition to the number of domains indicated in the poll.

I wonder if there is a number like IQ that rates one's memory

IMO

Last edited:
•••
I voted 100 (of about 500) bit even with my poor memory I think I could probably manage more, I hope. Interesting poll idea @oldtimer. I think up until I was at about 35 names, now years ago, I could remember them all easily.

I know I have too many because I occasionally search the status of a name to discover I won it! :xf.eek:

Bob

•••
I think I can remember approx. 95% of my domain names .. my memory is still kind of good :)

•••
I think I can remember approx. 95% of my domain names .. my memory is still kind of good :)

That's great, and how many domains does that correspond to. (if you don't mind saying)

•••
That's great, and how many domains does that correspond to.
I have now little over 1000 new gTLDs, and I guess I can name approx. 950 of them :)

•••
I have now little over 1000 new gTLDs, and I guess I can name approx. 950 of them :)

it's amazing that you can remember that many of your domains, as I said earlier maybe we can come up with a system to grade and rate memory like they do for IQ.

•••
it's amazing that you can remember that many of your domains, as I said earlier maybe we can come up with a system to grade and rate memory like they do for IQ.
Well, if you invest in new gTLDs the way I do, you do build portfolio around particular extensions. So it is easier to remember it, as this approach kind of groups names together. Or maybe I just have a good memory, who knows :)

•••
Not many cause I've looked up whois on domains before I was interested in and was pleasantly surprised that I already owned them more than once. :ROFL:

I remember my sold ones more.

•••
•••
Not many.... Almost none... In fact, I have even dropped domains I no longer want and re-registered them on the drop without knowing I had actually dropped them :facepalm:. That sucks...

•••
All of them, around 200 domains.

•••
If I consider .coms, then I own around a 1000 or so at the moment. I went through a list of reviewing about 100 domains for renewals yesterday. I was surprised that I hardly realised that I own those domains which I'm reviewing.

So I think with that kind of volume along with adding new inventory each day, it gets more and more difficult to remember our own domains.

I voted for 40.

•••

In that case I am sure that there are people here who remember more of your domains than you yourself considering how many you have in your sales threads at any given time,

Although someone might still beat you and say None and I don't blame them if they have over 10k domains.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Actually, just for fun, I tried it and did much better :xf.smile: than my guess above!

First off I have 557 domain names :unsure: more than I think I should have:xf.sick: (have gone a little .ca crazy of late after not acquiring anything at all for 40+ days)

But the good news is that I could remember without prompting 481 of them, or 86% (y)

So my memory is much better than I thought it was. :xf.cool: And I found yet another domaining related way to waste some time I should have been doing something more productive. :xf.eek:

Have a great day everyone.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Actually, just for fun, I tried it and did much better :xf.smile: than my guess above!

First off I have 557 domain names :unsure: more than I think I should have:xf.sick: (have gone a little .ca crazy of late after not acquiring anything at all for 40+ days)

But the good news is that I could remember without prompting 481 of them, or 86% (y)

So my memory is much better than I thought it was. :xf.cool: And I found yet another domaining related way to waste some time I should have been doing something more productive. :xf.eek:

Have a great day everyone.

Bob

Bob you give us oldtimers some hope, 86% is great and I don't think that you wasted your time, you just proved to yourself that you have a good memory and also some good domains that are worth remembering.

IMO

•••
I can remember them all. :pompous:

But that's because I don't have more than 40 names. For now.

Things will most certainly change when I reach 400.

•••
I could easily write down 100% of my portfolio and that's because there are only 7 names in it (can it still be classed as a portfolio!?!). 4 of them are development projects.

One is .net as I have the .com and the other 2 were impulse purchases that will probably be dropped by the end of the year.

•••
Without looking at your portfolio how many of your domains can you write down on a piece of paper.

Would this number signify anything important and could this be considered the best size for a portfolio to have.

Everyone's welcomed to elaborate on this subject, but keep all comments professional, constructive, and on topic.
250 at the most, lol.

•••
OK but now...
from memory, how many of your auth codes can you write down on a piece of paper?

•••
OK but now...
from memory, how many of your auth codes can you write down on a piece of paper?

That would be a pure test for just memory alone since there is no quality factor involved with the auth codes, perhaps there are people with photographic memory who could write down some of their auth codes, but when we are talking about remembering your domains the quality and memorability of the domains also play a part in addition to how strong your memory is and so that's why I thought that it would be interesting for domainers to know how many of their domains they could remember.

And so here we just want to focus on the ability to remember one's domains as that might be indicative of the overall quality of the portfolio for most people in addition to how good their memory is.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Back