Dynadot

How Many Of You Are Domaining Full Time?

NameSilo
Watch

Nametra.com

VIP Member
Impact
Hi, All:

How many of you are domaining full time as your primary source of income?

For the FT domainers, how many domains are in your portfolio?

Many of the more successful and well-known domainers seem to have relatively large portfolios (i.e. over 5-6k domains).

Looking at the numbers, at a 1% sell through rate (which I was told by an Afternic rep is average), it seems you need to have a fairly large portfolio to net a six-figure income.

For Example:

DN Sales Analysis 1STR.jpg

Thanks for your feedback!

Andy

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Although I ended 2021 with about 15k names, the weighted/adjusted number was around 11k and I did end the year with around 110 sales at an average price of 3k. So 1/3 of a mill in sales gross before commissions. Post commissions and renewals, and before further re-investments, the net would be around 180k.
Very good data! And awesome profit per year but it can't be easy to keep track of 15K domains
I understand from your numbers that you are fully dedicated to domains.
¿Are you very diversified in your portfolio or do you focus on one extension?

In my case, this year I am increasing my portfolio. Now about 1.500 and at this time, only three sales this year.
I still have a long way to go before I can make a living from domains. Now it is just a little extra.

Last edited:
•••
Very good data! And awesome profit per year but it can't be easy to keep track of 15K domains
I understand from your numbers that you are fully dedicated to domains.
¿Are you very diversified in your portfolio or do you focus on one extension?

In my case, this year I am increasing my portfolio. Now about 1.500 and at this time, only three sales this year.
I still have a long way to go before I can make a living from domains. Now it is just a little extra.

No, I am not fully dedicated to domains. First, my business is branding/rebranding/marketing and domains happen to be important for that, as I believe brands have become heavily domain-centric. Second, I have other startups at different phases of progress too.

There is nothing to keep track of with about 19000 domains. They are almost all at the same registrar. You just list ones and then take care of renewals.

•••
@Recons.Com Could you please elaborate further how to calculate the weighted/adjusted number of domains, I'm struggling with calculation?

•••
@Recons.Com Could you please elaborate further how to calculate the weighted/adjusted number of domains, I'm struggling with calculation?

Basically, if you evenly add names (more or less) throughout the year from Jan 1 to Dec 31, you could just take your portfolio size on June 1.

If your data is very skewed, then you could set up your excel with dates added:

- if a name is added a year before, then counts as 1
- if a name is added in the current year, then count as number of days in your portfolio divided by 365. So, if a name has been in your portfolio for one quarter of a year, it will be weighted as 0.25. You can even deduct 60 days from the number of days in your portfolio to reflect the fact that names often take 60 days or more to properly propagate across, like being eligible for fast transfer and simply being noticed by a potential buyer as available for sale. So, if a name was in your portfolio just for 90 days, you could count it as (90-60)/365 if you choose to reflect for this lag.

•••
If you own 100 .COM your renewal is around $950 a year. If you only sell one for $2,500 you have already returned 2.5x your investment. You mix in some larger sales over a year, and you are doing even better.
This right here is what took me years to understand. I mean it was right there, but I wasn't trying to accomplish that target. I was trying EVERYTHING to see what worked, often following "advice" from people here that were not really using their advice themselves on a continuous basis, year after year.

Once you can do something similar to the above, consistently, you then just scale it up.

But you must always be keenly aware of what is working for you and what is not. Re-investing a portion of your profit is crucial or you will never have a constant stream of new names. You also need to get a feel for what to keep and what to drop, even though those ones you keep are obviously not selling.

Its all about numbers, percentages and odds. You have to put a lot of time in it and take it seriously.
Also when you figure out what works for you, consistently, don't share it with anyone else. Just keep at it and try to improve your "game" month after month, year after year.

•••
Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on this!

•••
Back