IT.COM

question How long did it take you to make your first domain name sale?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Gartnet

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
I think it would be great for everyone to share how long it took them to make there first domain name sale?

My first sale was to another domain name investor, I doubled my money on a registration fee domain name and made like $10 or $15 many - This was done probably 3 months into domaining and some trial and error of registering the wrong domains.

My first end user sale took another two years until, I closed a sale via cold outbound marketing and I made a small $,$$$ profit.

My first inbound sale wasn't for many years, nearly 5 years into domaining before I got an inbound lead via a whois lookup and I sold a domain name that I had literally bought on a drop two weeks before for again a small $,$$$ profit.

There has been a number since then but it was a few years from selling to other domain investor through to End Users...

How long did you wait for your first domain name sale? Be great to share like above...

Domain Investor - X Months
End User Outbound - X Months
End User Inbound - X Months

Domaining ain't easy and I think it would be good to show all newbies the length of time, it can take make a sale - This isn't a get rich quick business...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i actually just sold my first domain (a two-word .com) after a month into domaining, turning $5 into $1,000. It was listed for a BIN price on Dynadot.

•••
Congratulations - That was a nice quick sale, outbound or inbound enquiry?

•••
Congratulations - That was a nice quick sale, outbound or inbound enquiry?
Thanks! I'm not sure what that means? I got an email from Dynadot telling me someone bought it for the BIN. I forgot I even had it so it since I got so busy copywriting so it was a very nice surprise.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @newdawndomains - So that means it was an inbound sales enquiry that sold via BIN - Nice surprise like you mentioned.

•••
Love this thread!!

Wish it gained traction.

I just got back into domaining after 8-9 years. Been back about 1 month. Compiled a portfolio of about 50 names.

Mostly 2 Word .coms and 1 word .tvs

Finally got everything listed on Afternic (BIN), Sedo, DAN, and DomainAgents so far (Make Offer) so nothing yet.

9 years ago I sold my first domain here on NP after about 2-3 months. Hand regged dot TV for very low X,xxx

Getting more serious this time around

•••
I am hoping to be able to update this thread when I make my next first sale!

😁

•••
Afternic - first sale (ever made) about 12 months/listing (many years ago now)

BrandBucket - first sale < aprx 8 months after joining/listing

SquadHelp - first sale in 9 weeks of joining/listing

BrandPa - first sale after 2 years of joining/listing

Names listed just about on all the bigger marketplaces - but the 4 above are where my sales are.

You may have different "first sale" experiences based on where your names are listed - which for a new domainer, may give you an idea where to start understanding what is considered "premium" - at least in terms of the $1200 - 10K brandable market. Use that as an example as brandables are often more affordable for new investors & can offer decent sales #s (IMO).

GL

•••
Afternic - first sale (ever made) about 12 months/listing (many years ago now)

BrandBucket - first sale < aprx 8 months after joining/listing

SquadHelp - first sale in 9 weeks of joining/listing

BrandPa - first sale after 2 years of joining/listing

Names listed just about on all the bigger marketplaces - but the 4 above are where my sales are.

You may have different "first sale" experiences based on where your names are listed - which for a new domainer, may give you an idea where to start understanding what is considered "premium" - at least in terms of the $1200 - 10K brandable market. Use that as an example as brandables are often more affordable for new investors & can offer decent sales #s (IMO).

GL
Thanks for sharing!! I really enjoy hearing about this type of information.

Everybody has their own unique path to succeed in this business.

Me, for one, do not get the Brandable marketplace at all. Lol!

I am so literal. As a result, I decided to specialize in keyword domains that woul appeal to end users in industries that I think could benefit.

But...I really like seeing some of the brandable names that sell!!

Last edited:
•••
As a teacher, I bought names to play around with for my classes. I first purchased a classroom domain captain-ned.com. Captain Ned was my superhero alter ego. Whatever it took to get the kids to pay attention. Then, when I discovered Google sites around 2010 and could throw up quick websites, I started buying more for my classes like SuperHeroesIncorportated//com, MathWoman.com, etc. I had no idea that there was a market for them. I was quite literally clueless about the whole thing. For example, the first site captain-ned. CaptainNed was available, but I thought it was easier to read two-word domains with a dash. Eventually, I read somewhere why so many domains with dashes were available and didn't buy any more.

I moved the domains back and forth between HostGator and GoDaddy to get low renewals. The point being, I really knew nothing about anything in this business. Finally, I started leaving them at Godaddy because HostGator was that pitiful. I started looking around at the options GoDaddy offered and got a $5 auction membership to see what it was about. I listed the names I owned for sale on a lark with what I thought were ridiculous prices.

Then in 2016 I got an offer on SuperHeroesIncorporated for $2,500 when I had a BIN of $5,000. The whole thing seemed absurd, so I didn't even give a reason or counter, I just declined the offer. 3 days later, they hit the BIN on $5,000 and I was hooked. I thought I was a genius and started buying ridiculous shit and learning lessons the hard way. I sent a famous at the time domainer a list of what in hindsight were really bad domains, thinking they'd jump at the opportunity to broker them. It still makes me cringe to think about it. They were remarkably kind when they responded. I keep that response in mind every time I think about responding to the know-it-all of the month and just bite my tongue.

Last edited:
•••
•••
As a teacher, I bought names to play around with for my classes. I first purchased a classroom domain captain-ned.com. Captain Ned was my superhero alter ego. Whatever it took to get the kids to pay attention. Then, when I discovered Google sites around 2010 and could throw up quick websites, I started buying more for my classes like SuperHeroesIncorportated//com, MathWoman.com, etc. I had no idea that there was a market for them. I was quite literally clueless about the whole thing. For example, the first site captain-ned. CaptainNed was available, but I thought it was easier to read two-word domains with a dash. Eventually, I read somewhere why so many domains with dashes were available and didn't buy any more.

I moved the domains back and forth between HostGator and GoDaddy to get low renewals. The point being, I really knew nothing about anything in this business. Finally, I started leaving them at Godaddy because HostGator was that pitiful. I started looking around at the options GoDaddy offered and got a $5 auction membership to see what it was about. I listed the names I owned for sale on a lark with what I thought were ridiculous prices.

Then in 2016 I got an offer on SuperHeroesIncorporated for $2,500 when I had a BIN of $5,000. The whole thing seemed absurd, so I didn't even give a reason or counter, I just declined the offer. 3 days later, they hit the BIN on $5,000 and I was hooked. I thought I was a genius and started buying ridiculous shit and learning lessons the hard way. I sent a famous at the time domainer a list of what in hindsight were really bad domains, thinking they'd jump at the opportunity to broker them. It still makes me cringe to think about it. They were remarkably kind when they responded. I keep that response in mind every time I think about responding to the know-it-all of the month and just bite my tongue.
Thanks for sharing this!!!

Very cool, interesting and funny story!

•••
•••
Back