Dynadot

How do you promote your Flippa auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BrandNuke

graphixsoEstablished Member
Impact
Some domain gets fair value in flippa. I wonder what they do to promote their auction. I am fairly new at domaining & still learning. How have you succeeded with flippa & how? It will be very helpful if you share.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One thing I'd strongly suggest NOT doing is using any of Flippa's paid promotions. I've never had any luck with those and I've never heard of anyone who has. The only exception might be inclusion in the mailing list. I've never tried that.

You did actually list it as an auction ($9 fee), and not just a domain catalog item (free), didn't you?

All of my Flippa sales have come from $9 auction listings. I've found I get the most interest when I've just listed or the auction is about to end. The auction will show up in certain searches then. The rest of the time it seems like most domains get buried in the mountain of crap. Not as much anymore now that Flippa is limiting relists. On that note, be sure to take advantage of Flippa's free relisting.

I'm sure other members will correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the buyers at Flippa seem to be domainers rather than end-users, which means you won't get an exorbitant price for a domain unless it's something really stellar.

So to answer your question, the best way of promoting your auction would be directly contacting people who might be interested in it. I've heard of people contacting potential end-users and letting them know a domain is for sale. If you get a bunch of people interested you might get a decent price.

It's been said many times before at this forum that you'll get the best price from an end-user. The catch is that you'll need to find end-users. It's rare that they'll find you. The people who get really great prices for domains will tell you they did so by contacting end-users and really selling/pitching their domains. This is something I both suck at and have no interest in becoming better at, so I tend to let my domains go at wholesale prices, usually not much more than a couple hundred. But all of my domains are hand-regs so I'm happy with a profit of $100 for the few minutes of work it took me to reg the domain and list it.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

•••
@greggb Great great insight. Thanks!!
I personally feel that fllippa is not an end-user's marketplace. Do you think aftermarkets like namejet, snapnames etc etc attract end-users? Sale prices are always higher there.

•••
@greggb Great great insight. Thanks!!
I personally feel that fllippa is not an end-user's marketplace. Do you think aftermarkets like namejet, snapnames etc etc attract end-users? Sale prices are always higher there.

Do you know what would shine a lot of light on this conversation?

The website in my signature. It lists the majority of domains with actual, legitimate bids at Namejet, Flippa, and GD auctions. It really gives you an idea about what's going on with the market.

I've spent most of my time putting the site together so I haven't had a lot of time to study the reports. Anyway...

This is my take on the domaining industry. Actually I'm going to start this in a new thread so I don't hijack this one. Look for it if the topic interests you.

•••
Some domain gets fair value in flippa. I wonder what they do to promote their auction. I am fairly new at domaining & still learning. How have you succeeded with flippa & how? It will be very helpful if you share.
I had once one of the Flippa guys writing me that I need to advertize more my domain Ijust listed at Flippa to attract more offers... Well, I realized we are doing it all wrong. We should use Flippa to lead buyers to our domains with no commision!... You pay Flippa at listing time, you pay Flippa is you make a sale and if you have a good domain that you think will sell big, you pay for a promotion on their first page or domain's first page and you compete with the "Editor's pick" which is 90% of the times their own domains...
So use Flippa to advertize your domains for free. Pay a fee if you make a sale on your free catalog, but do not spend more! It is an aggressive business and not a fair-trade website.

•••
I sometimes advertise on other domain forums such as this one, and also place a widget on my selling domain. The other way is buy a bidding package directly from Flippa, I remember with $9 and $19 per 21 days

•••
how do you buy a biding package from Flippa?

Thanks

•••
My first journey to domaining started from flippa. I had a domain name. It was about to expire and trust me I didn't have a penny to renew that domain name. I didn't wanna get that domain go easily. And at same time I heard that you could make some cash by selling your domain.
Then I started searching over internet. And found flippa. Flippa was like hot spot at that time. So, I listed a domain name at auction. I didn't pay any listing fees over there. I don't have any idea on how I listed there for free. It was like around 7 day auction and I had one and only bid. It was $50 bid and the bidder won the domain name.
I was kind of excited and like wow!!!! such a easy cash, hahaha. I had hand registered the domain name and sold without doing anything. Quite easy right? Then I started registering domain names with the cash I made through the sales on flippa.
Here's the main thing, I started it because I could make some cash. And what I did was hand registered few domain names and listed again in flippa. I used to appraise other domain names to earn some point to list the domain names on auction for free and promote my auctions. But after my first sale I never had a single sale even using the upgrades and so on. Then I realized that was my luck.
And I think listing on flippa is like luck. Flippa is place where you find domainers less and SEO pro's more. So, if you have any domain name that has good SEO value on it then you are good to go ahead. But every thing is luck over there.

Last edited:
•••
My first journey to domaining started from flippa. I had a domain name. It was about to expire and trust me I didn't have a penny to renew that domain name. I didn't wanna get that domain go easily. And at same time I heard that you could make some cash by selling your domain.
Then I started searching over internet. And found flippa. Flippa was like hot spot at that time. So, I listed a domain name at auction. I didn't pay any listing fees over there. I don't have any idea on how I listed there for free. It was like around 7 day auction and I had one and only bid. It was $50 bid and the bidder won the domain name.
I was kind of excited and like wow!!!! such a easy cash, hahaha. I had hand registered the domain name and sold without doing anything. Quite easy right? Then I started registering domain names with the cash I made through the sales on flippa.
Here's the main thing, I started it because I could make some cash. And what I did was hand registered few domain names and listed again in flippa. I used to appraise other domain names to earn some point to list the domain names on auction for free and promote my auctions. But after my first sale I never had a single sale even using the upgrades and so on. Then I realized that was my luck.
And I think listing on flippa is like luck. Flippa is place where you find domainers less and SEO pro's more. So, if you have any domain name that has good SEO value on it then you are good to go ahead. But every thing is luck over there.
Even My first sale was from flippa..And journey Begun...

NP,FB & Linkedin

Last edited:
•••
how do you buy a biding package from Flippa?

Thanks
When listing your domain/website, they will offer you to promote at Step 6. Or if you've already listed, you can Convert it to auction and then come the auction processes.

•••
1. Get in Touch with Your User base
2. Optimize Your Listing’s Content
3. Give Your Site a Story on your Flippa Auction

•••
trying to sell my first domain there now

•••
Well I tried to list one of my domains yesterday on the auction and was surprised about listing fee! $29 for listing a single domain! You should see my huge eyes yesterday!=)
I think for this price I should just sit and look how Flippa will at least promote my listing!
For this price I can register few more domains!
Ofcourse I will list there if only I am sure my domain worth it! I can imagine how much users Flippa loose with this listing fees!
I agree to pay more fees from sale price but to pay for listing without sale guarantee is not the best idea I think!
$9 listing fee would be great!

•••
Back