Dynadot

discuss How do you manage your portfolio efficiently?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vikki88

Established Member
Impact
For a person who owns maybe 50-100 domains or even more...(not me, maybe one day). How do you manage your portfolio?

Do you create an excel sheet? If so what are the tables you create in those excel sheets?

Is there another method other than excel sheets? Could you please explain?

(Care to educate a beginner?)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good question.

I used to have a Google sheet with all the domains I owned, what I had paid for them, what I was hoping to sell them for, to whom (when possible), in addition to basic informations like create date, expiring date, registrars, Registrar account (when using multiple registrars, this was a time saver)

But I moved all my domains to a single registrar to make it easier.
I also park them all at the same place (except a few on Brandable marketplaces)
Personally, I see it easier that way; All renewals, inquiries at the same place

Gube

•••
thanks Gube...I think this is a smart way, I also will move to this direction, move all my name(while possible) to ONE nice registrar...and only play there...it will be much easier for me to remember what I have and easy to work on it to avoid choas...

•••
I have a lot more domains than you, and getting it under control has been a huge challenge.

I use Excel .. with multiple sheets.

Basically I have a different "sheet" for the raw inventory download from each registrar.
Another sheet for my Estibot data download.

I also have a master static page and a non-static page.

The static sheet is where I put in hard information like purchase price, purchase date, etc

The main master sheet pretty much pulls everything together and gives me calculated columns, as well as pulling all the important data from everywhere else. It's where I put my pricing.

I also have a sheet at the end for stats, like I can tell you at a glance that my portfolio is 94% .com.

It's actually a complex monster .. and probably the biggest reason why I've been a VERY bad domainer and not having all my domains listed everywhere or even priced. Frankly, it's a miracle I'm a profitable domainer.

I'm actually back on track and have been working on it this weekend .. it hasn't been up to date in way over a year at least. Can't wait until I'm done. It's a true masterpiece! lol .. But don't let it get too out of date .. then it's a nightmare!

The great thing about using excel, is that when you are organised, you can create cool formulas like multiple listings and such, giving lots of helpful relevant data.

That being said .. if you only have 50 domains, then it's not as important .. but if you do see yourself growing your portfolio in the future .. 100% get a system in place now .. otherwise it'll become a nightmare.

Take a look at my daily lists at NameCult and here at NamePros .. that's mostly Excel .. still a LOT of work .. but the styling/formating automation lets me spend more time actually manually going through names with my eyeballs ... that's one thing I'd never automate .. I find so many great domains by eye that others all miss because they use tools!

Good luck with it .. Excel is my 2nd best friend (after little Steamie) .. but also my worst enemy! lol

•••
50 to 100 domains are pretty easy to manage - so long as they are not spread between more than a couple of registries. It depends how much time you allocate to viewing your portfolio. (daily/weekly/monthly) whether simple list/s will suffice.

Keeping your email history (for everything domain related) is more important - yes even for years, you'll be surprised how much can come back and bite you if you don't keep them all, plus some of the old history can really keep you informed (possibly even shocked) about so much forgotten. when you do simple email searches even a couple of years later

keep an eye on your renewals is also the key. What you don't want is making last minute decisions to drop or keep.

I'd go back to an excel spreadsheet if I ever went above 300 again. But it's keeping that spreadsheet managed and updated that can become a pain.. No time passes (so it seems) .and before you know it - It's 2 months out of date

Last edited:
•••
Excel, 500+ domains. Default sorted by exp. date. Never had an issue with not renewing my domains on time.

Current Columns:

Domain

Where At - basically where I upload my names to - godaddy/afternic/sedo/efty/dan

Offers/Leads - how many offers received, the leads are from DomainIQ

Other Extensions - other extensions my name is regged in

Exp. Date

Extension - don't really need this one anymore since I'm 100% .com

Category

Exact Match - don't really do this column anymore

Information To Help Sales - how much I paid, related sales

Reg Date

GD Appraisal/Estibot Appraisal - I've done this with some, just a number to have

--------
In my Domain column, if it's up for auction or an offer has been made it looks like this:

mydomain.com/NameJet Auction November

mydomain.com/GoDaddy Offer 8/15 - the date being when the offer expires

mydomain.com/Sedo Offer 8/15 - the date being when the offer expires

mydomain.com/Recent Direct Offer

So if I get an offer at GoDaddy, I know I can't counter if it's already up for auction at Namejet but can later counter if it doesn't sell at NJ

Last edited:
•••
That's quite a spreadsheet there JB Lions - certainly requires good time-management and discipline, neither of which I'm any good at ;) I take it you review the supporting data columns quite regularly

Last edited:
•••
Thankyou all for taking the time, and replying, really appreciate it!

•••
in php/mysl its very easy to create a database
I use it for half a decade by now

get a programmer at freelancer if you can't do it yourself
when your portfolio grows
you will be thankful you did it

to have all the domains at one registrar
for this purpose is plain stupid

•••
I just forget I own names all the time check owner to find already mine I used to keep spreadsheets with appraisals but now I just do everything on the day as all info is last years etc so just do my research when I get the enquiry.

•••
in php/mysl its very easy to create a database
I use it for half a decade by now

get a programmer at freelancer if you can't do it yourself
when your portfolio grows
you will be thankful you did it
will keep this advice in mind

•••
I use excel just like most. My main sheet populates my preconfigured sheets for upload to afternic and sedo.

•••
I use Numbers spreadsheet (the Apple Excel equivalent). I have separate pages within the sheet for currently held inventory, sold, and expired (and a few other things). Any domain is only in one of these places, so when it sells it moves from inventory page to sold.

In the currently held I have these columns:
  • A numerical column so at glance can see my current number of domain names
  • Domain Name
  • Registrar (when it transfers I change to the current one)
  • Current Expiry Date (allows sort by this)
  • Money Invested (i.e. acquisition plus amounts for renewals if any)
  • Extension (allows me to easily sort on this if I want)
  • Type (e.g. my categories are 1 word, 2 word, acronym, brandable)
  • Selling Price (for BIN)
  • I have columns for GoValue, Estibot and NameWorth (latter only for .com as of now)
  • I have a column with a numerical code that indicates whether I have a description written, it listed for sale at least one place, and if added to my portfolio website.
  • For each place I sell at I have a separate narrow column with a code if it is listed there with a B (buy it now price), F fast transfer , I (instant transfer at that registrar marketplace) or O (Make Offer) listing. I did not used to have these and it was so challinging to keep track of where each one was listed. I currently have columns for Sedo, Afternic (I only do GD through Afternic), DAN, Epik, Namecheap, Dynadot, NameSilo and my own site.
  • A column for misc short notes.
I have evolved this over the years. The main thing is to keep it current - when you sell or add a domain name immediately update it.

Best wishes,

Bob

PS Separate from this I have what I call Wish List spreadsheet that are names I have or am considering, that has a separate page for each TLD. So all my .com are on one page. I there in notes have things like how many TLDs, advertiser search and CPC stats, brief notes re application, etc. I have appraisal information there as well. If I acquire a name I copy and paste some of that information to inventory.

PPS I also keep an old fashioned notebook with every sale and acquisition listed with date, venue, price, commission but nothing more.

Last edited:
•••
Spreadsheet + custom columns

•••
Thanks @Bob Hawkes Sir, for taking the time to reply to my thread & for your valuable input

•••
Can efty replace complicated spread sheets

•••
I love this topic!

If I can help, someone, I will share my thoughts. I use Excel with multiple sheets.

In the main sheet (called stock) I have a detailed snapshot of my domains using the following columns:

• Registar name
  • Domain Name
  • Domain TLD (good for drill down)
  • Length (good for create categories)
  • Num_Words (good for create categories)
  • Current Expiry Date (allows sort by this)
  • Expiring days (allows conditional format for visual control)
  • Cost (i.e. acquisition plus amounts for renewals if any)
  • Estiboy and GD Appraisal
  • BIN Price
  • BIN_Market: I only list my BIN price in only one marketplace.
  • Lander: Marketplace I use for landing page.
  • Search Volume: Avg Monthly Searches in Google (interesting to further analytics)
  • A column for long description (related sales, Avg monthly searches....)

I use the following sheets for further control:
  • Inquiries: Historic inquiries
  • Sales: Resumed stock sheet including only sales
  • DNS: TXT Records and Nameservers of each marketplace (really useful)
Hope it helps.
BR

•••
Just delete what I bought when drinking and keep stuff I bought when smoking. Jack Daniel's made some dumb ass moves.
PricedPortfolio com
PortfolioPriced com

Last edited:
•••
Excel..
Domain name/purchase date/purchase price/ registrar/ registrar acct email/ registrar acct username/ registrar password/server/lander/aftermarkets listed/expiry date/sale price/net profit..

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back