Dynadot

discuss How do you keep track of all your domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How do you keep track of all your domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • I only use the registrar's domain manager

votes
    22.5%
  • Excel | Google Sheets

votes
    48.5%
  • Domain management software

votes
    6.1%
  • I am unorganized, I don't

votes
    13.4%
  • Other

votes
    9.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

King

Investor & CreatorTop Member
Impact
I've been thinking recently on a better way to keep track of domains besides manually keeping track in Excel.

Sure some registrars help with this but unless you are tied up with one registrar, it doesn't go well, plus they don't have a good way of keeping track of expenses and profits.

How do you keep track of your domains? If it's software, which? Why do you choose such means?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Excel.

There really is no alternative. Every registry uses a different setup, every registrar uses a completely different setup, some use API some don't, some offer export some don't, different types of expirations, different types of renewal (ie. some allow only a few days before expiration while others any time), etc. etc.

That's one of the reasons where I say domaining is completely chaotic on multiple levels.

There were in the past a few daring individuals who tried to setup domaining management solutions (either online or local) but -imo- all failed.

As you very correctly pointed out: only solution is to use a single registrar.

•••
Well, helps if have almost all with one registrar

Last edited:
•••
Know when to trim down. Keep your Stock below 100 of your best domains, If your not making regular sales .
Two sheets of A4, easy print and read and regular self-gratification come with this method.

Otherwise it's Excel all the way for those who know how to use it - the amount of updates for a 500 to 2,000 plus portfolio are a constant pain whatever you choose

Last edited:
•••
My primary method of domain management is Epik...whether or not the domains are registered there. Lots of tools for the professional domain investor.

I also use and back up data to excel.

•••
Hang on - Let me check with my wife.

•••
Hang on - Let me check with my wife.

She's probably administering your domains in the blockchain. She's smart.

•••
excel for me and slowly transitioning to one registrar.........

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
My choice is Efty, @Doron Vermaat makes my life way easier. Worth every American penny. Just the domain management part alone.
My primary method of domain management is Epik...whether or not the domains are registered there. Lots of tools for the professional domain investor.

I also use and back up data to excel.
Ineffective for .ca under registrar it shows unknown or something, cant remember. Dont need too. Efty.com remembers

•••
Ineffective for .ca under registrar it shows unknown or something, cant remember. Dont need too. Efty.com remembers

I can't speak to that as I do not invest in .ca names...primarily .com but I will take a look at efty. It is good to have a back up for everything.

•••
@namesilo has a domain link manager that you can add external domains to. However it kept crapping out when updating and i was always emailing support. It was neat and tidy, easy to bulk update.

•••
Well, helps if have almost all with one registrar
Yes but when you want to find the lowest renewal price, it's not possible, maybe Dan's registrar will fix that so we can have everything in one place.

•••
I've been using a spreadsheet for years but it's a pain updating the expiry dates.

Because I also keep many notes about each domain on the one line, I've found that I need to use my 42-inch TV monitor just to read and edit the spreadsheet effectively.

There really is no other safe or reliable option IMO.

•••
Efty is good, and at least Dynadot, Epik and NameSilo have the option to add external domains.

It also looks like https://domain.io/ will soon offer a new option, although I am not quite sure how it will work.

Last edited:
•••
A script tracking all domains, populating a db that connects to a UI where I can make changes manually when needed. I've set it to mail me a daily report about possible issues, upcoming renewals, listings etc.

Currently experimenting with a bot that's watching my inbox so I don't have to add them myself to the backend anymore. I'd say atm it's 80% automated.

•••
A script tracking all domains, populating a db that connects to a UI where I can make changes manually when needed. I've set it to mail me a daily report about possible issues, upcoming renewals, listings etc.

Currently experimenting with a bot that's watching my inbox so I don't have to add them myself to the backend anymore. I'd say atm it's 80% automated.
Is that a custom made script?

•••
Registars domain manager. For domain ideas I have a bunch of scattered notes in my phone.

•••
Spreadsheet is really a good tool. You may use 12 sheets - Jan to Dec. And, keep those domains there which have renewal date corresponding to that month. Though, there are many other ways too.

•••
Is that a custom made script?

Yeah, it's something I have been working on for years now, on and off, as I was done with the basic options that are available. It's an ongoing beta project :).

Working on a rewrite currently as I have sold off parts of my code to a registrar so need to use a different approach to accomplish the same results ;)

•••
Efty is good, and at least Dynadot, Epik and NameSilo have the option to add external domains.

It also looks like https://domain.io/ will soon offer a new option, although I am not quite sure how it will work.
Dynadot probably has the best domain manager right now.

•••
I often use Domain Name Hosting System

•••
I am always just looking at what is expiring soon but do get a few surprise renewal notices to say i have paid up on odd registrars when forgotten. I am not that organized everything is vaigly memorized I never kept a phone book or diary either. Mega memory lol actually it is full have scratch to head for scatch drive. I pretty much know all the expiry dates of domains i am chasing though.

Last edited:
•••
I am always just looking at what is expiring soon but do get a few surprise renewal notices to say i have paid up on odd registrars when forgotten. I am not that organized everything is vaigly memorized I never kept a phone book or diary either. Mega memory lol actually it is full have scratch to head for scatch drive. I pretty much know all the expiry dates of domains i am chasing though.
Pretty similar, I also jot into a calendar though the days around when a domain will drop just in case even though I never needed the reminder because I remember anyway.

•••
Back