Dynadot

How do I response to an email - "How much would you be willing to sell X?"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domaineri

Established Member
Impact
Hi friends,
The domain has a max and min price on Afternic/Dan, but the buyer asked me how much do I want for the domain.
What do you say? How should I reply?
Thank you!
me

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I send them the price of the name. If you are worried about them negotiating you down, start with you higher “wish” price, and see what they say.

•••
Hi friends,
The domain has a max and min price on Afternic/Dan, but the buyer asked me how much do I want for the domain.
What do you say? How should I reply?
Thank you!
me

What do you say? Tell them the price.

•••
•••
Well If you've already stated a minimum offer then this buyer is willing to engage. There's two possible scenarios here. Most enquires of this sort will normally be accompanied by that 'Minimum offer' being placed.

So the buyer is either looking for your Rock Bottom price (most likely) or they want a firm price in order to save time on negotiating. Without knowing the domain it's difficult to judge. Obviously stay within your parameters you've already set but if your happy your going to have to move downwards to at least the mid-point . You've almost invited this.

This is now the time to put in probably a couple of hours really digging deep into your domain. And I mean really explore. It's not time wasted, It's information/knowledge gathered. Your reply price is going to become clearer and your confidence in what your asking either backed-up or reevaluated.

In these cases I'm usually willing to supply a short justification for my valuation. and I do mean short (not like my posts here) So a sentence or two It just reminds the buyer that you too can identify with the buyers interest.

I do like the NickB reply if you want to keep it short and sweet. Particularly for lower value domains. But expect the come-back at a little over your minimum.

I'm not a fan of buy now with minimum offers. It says I have no confidence in my asking price and If times are hard I'll sink to near the minimum.

Last edited:
•••
Since you have stated you have a max and a minimum displayed they are simply fishing for a price below your minimum.

•••
Since you have stated you have a max and a minimum displayed they are simply fishing for a price below your minimum.
Yes, I can agree, I'm just forever the optimist whenever a contact is made. I can't think of any that I haven't eventually closed. Not necessarily a good sign that I'd like to think as a good negotiator, But probably because I'm too cheap ;)

I do believe you can get a potential buyer to reevaluate their own position. But it does take time and patience and a little bit of strategy

Last edited:
•••
Thank you!
I answered as NickB suggested (and only later saw the other suggestions).
The buyer hasn't answered yet, but if he really wants it, he will come back with an offer.
Otherwise, he just saved us both precious time.

•••
Good attitude to have. I do think occasionally domainers see such an approach as " What is your best price " as a fellow domainers standard approach but, actually it's quite common from end-users. They use it purely because they really don't have a clue how to value the domain they want. Most of them wouldn't be familiar with all the resources we take for granted.

I'll always take the time to point them to the resources that will enlighten them. And NO I don't mean the valuation tools.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back