Dynadot

advice How Come Good Google Search Results Don't Translate to High Value Domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rakom

Established Member
Impact
So, I figured there's one thing that most people like to do (but probably won't admit to doing)-Texting Your Ex. Needless to say, my hand-reg adrenaline drove me to Google, and boom! Over 2 billion results! The next idea was obviously to register a domain, and lucky me, I got it!So now, I've got TextAnEx.com, worth 2 billion results but apparently worth painfully less on the domain market! The offers I've got aren't worth it!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are many different factors that determine whether a domain is worth money to someone.

When you bought the name did you have an idea about what you could use the domain for? The reason that I am asking is that I'm quite a creative person when it comes to domains and websites and I can't think of a functional application for that domain based on the phrase "text an ex".

Last edited:
•••
There are many different factors that determine whether a domain is worth money to someone.

When you bought the name did you have an idea about what you could use the domain for? The reason that I am asking is that I'm quite a creative person when it comes to domains and websites and I can't think of a functional application for that domain based on the phrase "text an ex".

My thinking was that since this is a topic that many people are obviously interested in, then it should definitely be viable as a domain for relationship forums (not necessarily restricted to the topic of texting an ex)

•••
The dating scene online is a really saturated market, every man and his dog has a dating website and forums for that matter.

Maybe if you had a stronger vision for it then it might help you to sell it.

•••
this name can be read like Textanex.com , That's domain doesn't pass the radio test.

Last edited:
•••
for a little more thought into a business name. Remember you are selling something that should help attract customers, create a sense of "excitement", & drive positive buzz and traffic.

Now think about, as a business holder, what is the message your domain should portray.

Dating in general - big, popular, saturated. Is the niche of getting in touch with an ex going to be the thing that pulls so many away from the establishment to - give up on dating and focus on exs?

Ex is typically a negative connotation - business (generally) thrive the positive.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
•••
exting Your Ex. Needless to say, my hand-reg adrenaline drove me to Google, and boom! Over 2 billion results!
I realize Google results vary with location, but when I Google this exact phrase texting your ex I get 19.8 million results, not 2 billion. Anyway, when I look at the exact phrase, "texting your ex" using quotation marks to limit to just that phrase, as opposed to the intentional searching done when no quotation marks, it is 115,000 results, a pretty run of the road number, not bad but not extraordinary.

There are tons of three word phrases with similar search result numbers. For example, I tried my fine tea. When I use no quotes there are 615 million results, about 30x what I get for your expression, and with quote marks it is 56,200 results, less than your expression by a factor of 2. And MyFineTea.com is available to hand register, as are huge numbers of similar expressions.

Google search volume and Google search numbers, both exact and intentional, have some importance, but they are just two of many factors that need to be looked at. The key ones are always the pool of potential buyers and the value the name would bring to them. As @BrandPlease explains well just above, names that sell usually need some positive and special aspect to separate them from the many similar phrases that are available.

I am not saying no one could value from your domain, or that it won't sell, just that there are other options for potential buyers. It might well depend on pricing if you will have any success with it. But if I was searching as an end user for a name, I would prefer a name like RelationshipTexting.com, also available to hand register, that offers a broader set of topics around a theme of texting adding to or detracting from relationships.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Search volume > Search results.

•••
•••
"I though of 'text your ex' so I registered 'textanex.com'" - is it just me or have your train of thought got derailed at some point? ;) Maybe because textyourex.com was taken and even developed?

Last edited:
•••
"I though of 'text your ex' so I registered 'textanex.com'" - is it just me or have your train of thought got derailed at some point? ;) Maybe because textyourex.com was taken and even developed?
i think the best one is taken already and offered for sale .
upload_2020-6-23_0-26-2.png

upload_2020-6-23_0-28-51.png

Last edited:
•••
@Rakom There is a difference between Search Volume and Search Results.
So the keyword "Text An Ex" is not a good one.
upload_2020-6-22_23-27-59.png

Last edited:
•••
So, I figured there's one thing that most people like to do (but probably won't admit to doing)-Texting Your Ex. Needless to say, my hand-reg adrenaline drove me to Google, and boom! Over 2 billion results! The next idea was obviously to register a domain, and lucky me, I got it!So now, I've got TextAnEx.com, worth 2 billion results but apparently worth painfully less on the domain market! The offers I've got aren't worth it!

Mistake 1: if you did the search without quote mark, that is the results loosely, and lots of text might have text, an, ex in them, but not necessarily together. Something like, The text in an essay was reminding him of his experience with his ex. Or something even more unrelated. If you put the quote mark around, you'd get just 108 000 results.

Mistake 2: just relying on search results. They might be some sort of weak indicator, but what matters much more are the actual searches. Check the numbers how many times people actually search for "text an ex" per month. And that would be the pie piece of which you'd be trying to get.

Mistake 3: even then, reading too much into it, as the benefit of exact match nowadays are way smaller than they used to be few years ago. It is just another signal now, along with tens of others, like extension, length, DA, content, age, CTR, bounce rates etc.

•••
for a little more thought into a business name. Remember you are selling something that should help attract customers, create a sense of "excitement", & drive positive buzz and traffic.

Now think about, as a business holder, what is the message your domain should portray.

Dating in general - big, popular, saturated. Is the niche of getting in touch with an ex going to be the thing that pulls so many away from the establishment to - give up on dating and focus on exs?

Ex is typically a negative connotation - business (generally) thrive the positive.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Does that make sense?

•••

You're right. I must have lost it somewhere along the way. I didn't think about it exhaustively

•••
There's a blurry line in there. My domain is clearly TextAnEx.com, not TextAnex.com

•••
There's a blurry line in there. My domain is clearly TextAnEx.com, not TextAnex.com

Not everyone sees a domain like this the same....which is another issue altogether.

Last edited:
•••
One thing you will start to notice is it requires work. The higher the actual search results on google the harder it will be to rank. The more actual searches the keywords the easier it will be but then there are some more factors to consider. There are some things that will rate same according to estibot as far as traffic searches.
Eg: keywordkeyword.com keyword-keyword.com keyword.keyword
Eg: freemovie.com free-movie.com and free.movie will all give you same amount of searches.
About 14,190,000,000 results
37,200,000 monthy searches broad
49,500 exact searches
Then there is the cpc to consider

Now see if you can rank say the hyphen with ease. Nothing will ever be easy unless targeted further.

Last edited:
•••
Back