Dynadot

question How can I tell if a domain is Premium or High Quality

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kim Hanks

Established Member
Impact
Hi! Im learning the biz and am wondering what makes a domain premium? What makes it high quality?
I have 140 domains and im trying to figure this part out.

Looking forward to your advice!

K

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Past Comparable Sales Data - Recent Comparable Sales Data - Trend Growth within Keywords

and by comparable, I mean the same words, same spelling, no hunches , were new, so were probably wrong.

Last edited:
•••
This was posted on Rick's Blog today - A good domain name is easy to remember. a GREAT domain name is hard to forget.

•••
This was posted on Rick's Blog today - A good domain name is easy to remember. a GREAT domain name is hard to forget.

Very true! Thanks

•••
you cant really tell this unless you spend countless hours of learnign and experience in domaining.. that means reading forums... checking namebio sales.. etc..

its a process.. like everything else in life.. and domaining is exactly opposite of quick and easy succcess or money.

gl

•••
But the point being - it’s hard to put into words exactly. Time and experience may show the way!

adDWw3Zm.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Hi! Im learning the biz and am wondering what makes a domain premium? What makes it high quality?

K

Hi Kimfter

just wondering

how did you go about accumulating 140 domain names, without pondering this question earlier.

imo...

•••
Imo...you know that it is a great domain name when you will immediately renew it 8 years in advance after you get it, lol.

If you hesitate to spend your money on renewals, it is clear indication that domain is, at best, the mediocre quality.

As usually, money talks :)

•••
•••
Beginners please stop acquiring hundreds of domains before pondering this question. You are likely throwing money down the drain.

•••

HeHe.... from Rick its more like....

If it's not a .com it sucks

If its a .com its terrible because you don't know how to pick your ass much less a domain.

If it's a one word .com its pretty good

If it's one of my domain (as in Ricks) it has to be great

Everybody else can just go fuck themselves :xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

Hey... I'm just quoting on that last sentence :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Ps. I make no claims to the accuracy of this post it is purely made for it's entertainment value :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
Imo...you know that it is a great domain name when you will immediately renew it 8 years in advance after you get it, lol.
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. Anyone can 'immediately renew' a domain for 8 years, or 10 years just because they may 'think' they have a great domain, but that does not make it a great domain! It just means someone 'thinks' their name is great. (As so many domainers do of their domains.)

•••
I'm sorry but this makes no sense. Anyone can 'immediately renew' a domain for 8 years, or 10 years just because they may 'think' they have a great domain, but that does not make it a great domain! It just means someone 'thinks' their name is great. (As so many domainers do of their domains.)
Believe me, it makes sense.

If there would be a rule that you can keep domain only if you renew it 8 years in advance, average people would do so much better...instead of having hundreds of crap domain names, they would only have few, but those few would bring them much more profit after all :)

•••
Believe me, it makes sense.

If there would be a rule that you can keep domain only if you renew it 8 years in advance, average people would do so much better...instead of having hundreds of crap domain names, they would only have few, but those few would bring them much more profit after all :)
If is a 'big' word. And not one that deals with reality.

•••
If is a 'big' word. And not one that deals with reality.
I do it for my best domain names - when I get some good name, I am usually renewing it 7-8 years in advance...so this is my reality :) Some people can argue that is is unnecessary lockup of the capital, but it prevents me from loosing my good names, and it allocates my money to correct places and prevents me from sending good money after bad money (aka renewing crappy names). It is better to have 3 good names then 3000 bad ones which never sell. Just imo.

•••
I do it for my best domain names - when I get some good name, I am usually renewing it 7-8 years in advance...so this is my reality
That's fine...for you. But the OP didn't ask for 'your reality', she was asking for the industry's reality. And as your reality isn't standard for everyone, it's not the advice she was looking for.

•••
Let me give you a cold hard truth. 99.9% of domains are worthless.

The key is finding those 0.01% that have some value.

Here are the most important questions to ask yourself when it comes to buying domain names.

"Would I name my own company, product or service this name?"

OR

"Could I use this domain name for promotional or marketing purposes?"

If the answer to both above questions is NO then it's likely your domain has little or no value.

Always ask yourself those questions before buying a domain name.

•••
•••
rarity will determine its premium value. do you own Gold names or Lead names?

•••
You’ll have to learn what kind of names that sell, and for how much. Some tools and websites you can learn a lot from:

PREVIOUS REPORTED SALES

- Namebio.com
- Dnpric.es

DOMAIN AUCTIONS

- Namepros auctions
- GoDaddy auctions
- Namejet auctions
- Sedo auctions

Estibot.com is a good tool for checking data such as search volume etc, but don’t focus too much on the appraisal itself.

•••
•••
Hi Kimfter

just wondering

how did you go about accumulating 140 domain names, without pondering this question earlier.

imo...

Hiya! I started out as a webmaster buying domains for my sites, then moved into buying names I to use as affiliate pages. Some of them came to me from a portfolio I bought.... :xf.smile: Working now on how to flip the ones i have and hunt for ones that could be a profitable flip.

•••

K

One more question. Does anybody post a list of your domain portfolio on your webpage for all the world to see or is this just weird?

•••
One more question. Does anybody post a list of your domain portfolio on your webpage for all the world to see or is this just weird?

Not weird, good business

Then attach it in your signature for some free advertising (y)

•••
Hi @KimHanks and welcome to NPs! I agree with @MapleDots that it is not weird and in general good practice to post your entire set of names on your site. The names that sell are often hard to predict in this inexact science, so I have never believed in listing a few of your best and saying contact us for other possibilities. Also, unless it is under lock or offer or you are planning development, it should have a lander. Otherwise how will people find it?

Re what makes a premium name, a big question that books can be written about, by my short answer is that it is memorable, unique (i.e. not alternatives of similar quality available to the end user), positive, valuable to one or more end users as a significant improvement over what they have now or could have from others, and feels special, not just to you but to a group of non-domain people you would ask for reactions.

Best wishes for success!

Bob

•••
Back