IT.COM

How can I prove ownership of my domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

M3H

Impact
What can I do to help protect my domains and prove I am the owner in the event of any discrepancy, namely with regards to there being an issue with my registrar? Today, I do the following:
  • I save all emails/receipts from my registrar indefinitely.
  • I enabled 2FA and good practice password hygiene on my registrar account and the email used to access my registrar.
Is there any more that I can be doing?

To elaborate: my domain is the single most valuable asset that I own (other than my home). Unlike my home, I do not have a "deed". I can imagine a scenario where my account gets deactivated - maybe my VPN triggers some anti-bot measure, or something more nefarious... There seem to be many ways that a domain can be usurped. I don't want the responsibility to solely lie with the registrar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Public whois information.

•••
I saw this in another thread that I read recently. I would never have thought of this but it seems very obvious

•••
What can I do to help protect my domains and prove I am the owner in the event of any discrepancy, namely with regards to there being an issue with my registrar? Today, I do the following:
  • I save all emails/receipts from my registrar indefinitely.
  • I enabled 2FA and good practice password hygiene on my registrar account and the email used to access my registrar.
Is there any more that I can be doing?

To elaborate: my domain is the single most valuable asset that I own (other than my home). Unlike my home, I do not have a "deed". I can imagine a scenario where my account gets deactivated - maybe my VPN triggers some anti-bot measure, or something more nefarious... There seem to be many ways that a domain can be usurped. I don't want the responsibility to solely lie with the registrar.

The first point seems fine to prove you are/were the owner. Other things that you can make sure you will remain the owner of the domain are,

1. Transfer lock is ON
2. Never share domain transfer/auth code with anyone for any reason unless selling it.
3. Make sure Auto-Renew is ON and is getting renewed properly since you say its a very valuable domain name.
4. If listing on other markets and enabling fast transfer / Buy now, make sure the price settings are fine. Since most markets never send you a confirmation about the price you set for the domains.
5. If there is any web content built on that domain name, make sure its not infringing any Trademark. Else that would be an easy way to loose domain due to infringement reasons.

•••
Back