Dynadot

.mobi How bad is mobi? Did I just waste $35?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nerevar

Top Member
Impact
I just hand-reged the following (exact monthly searches in parenthesis):
docs.mobi (1,500,000)
refrigerator.mobi (368,000)
saw.mobi (550,000)
scandal.mobi (1,500,000)
suits.mobi (1,200,000)

Seem interesting to me. On the other hand, somebody dropped them, so...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You will be the next person to drop them.

•••
•••
What's the relevance of search volume here, you could as well buy .pw domains.

•••
•••
Why?
Who do you think is going to buy them and in what price range?

Well, docs.com is a collaboration between Microsoft and Facebook. When / if they leave the beta stage, they might be huge enough to buy anything.

Last edited:
•••
There just is no aftermarket for mobi, just occasional wishful thinking. There was a speculative bubble up till 2009 and for a while after that you could still sell a few - I did, even some for XXXX. Now you won't even get the €100 or $100 occasional offers you used to. Dropped almost all of mine, good riddance, no buyers, waste of time.

I would just grace delete them and find something someone might want to buy.

•••
.Mobi ....wasn't that one of the most known flops with TLDs, along with .Tel and .Name? I remember a while back when they were first released, I was working for another hosting company as part of the Sales team. So it was our job and priority to try and market those domains to new and existing clients coming to chat/phone. Boy, was that an optimistic idea! Several marketing strategies and a lot of confused customers later they just decided to include them as a possible TLD for signup and drop all efforts of popularization :)

•••
Grace deleted, except docs.mobi - will try my luck with this one.

•••
i've had some great ones i got in landrush 2006...not a single offer since the hype died off. you have a better chance of selling .biz domains ( which i don't suggest doing, just saying mobi is really bad and one off sales mean nothing).

•••
I am noticing a sudden surge in dot MOBI names on daily droplists over the last few weeks, some are with quality LOTD keywords...worthless as other have pointed out.I agree.

•••
stop-the-madness-1.jpg

•••
Good grace deletions IMO...I actually owned a docs domain a couple years ago...I can't remember if it was Docs.co or what..Anyways, the MS/FB website looked exactly the same then as it does now. I ended up letting that name drop a year or two later..

•••
Grace deleted, except docs.mobi - will try my luck with this one.

Good move. I think docs.mobi is the only name worth speculating on. short and relevant to the mobile industry. good luck.

•••
Once upon a time .mobi was rocking and domain industry was after it particularly after the sale of flowers.mobi
But now this extension is quite stagnant.
Hold on to it for couple of years and than decide.

•••
nice ad with dotmobi website

•••
•••
I remember when mobi came out.. I sold 8 of them.. thank goodness I didn't get any more or hold on to them.

•••
There just is no aftermarket for mobi, just occasional wishful thinking. There was a speculative bubble up till 2009 and for a while after that you could still sell a few - I did, even some for XXXX. Now you won't even get the €100 or $100 occasional offers you used to. Dropped almost all of mine, good riddance, no buyers, waste of time.

I would just grace delete them and find something someone might want to buy.

There used to be speculative bubbles for every new TLD until ICANN decided to flood the web with TLDs.

•••
Just reg Broadcast.mobi. You can find better names in the .mobi if you have patience.

•••
actually

docs.mobi is the only one out of the bunch I like. With the new gtlds I try to make the name relate to the extension, that way it makes sense and helps categorize the website. Some sort of online instant document service may want that name one day.

•••
Well, docs.com is a collaboration between Microsoft and Facebook. When / if they leave the beta stage, they might be huge enough to buy anything.
We own XBT.mobi the future currency code for bitcoin

•••
The only one I own is Appraise.mobi
Maybe a service to appraise and buy phones
maybe appraise houses etc

I really don't know..

•••
big news today - a .mobi actually sold

property.mobi 220 USD 2015-09-05 NameJet

But before you get excited about that look at the history on namebio.com:
property.mobi 26,000 USD 2008-03-25 Moniker
So in 2013 sombody dropped that domain. Two years later it sold for less than 1% of the original bubble price.

•••
big news today - a .mobi actually sold

property.mobi 220 USD 2015-09-05 NameJet

But before you get excited about that look at the history on namebio.com:
property.mobi 26,000 USD 2008-03-25 Moniker
So in 2013 sombody dropped that domain. Two years later it sold for less than 1% of the original bubble price.
Apart from XBT.mobi we also own WIZ.mobi and I couldnt find the price history but i think it was another one that sold when MOBI.com first came out-we hand reg'd it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back