Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
just reg'ed: Learning/MR in king

•••
Xr is an umbrella term embracing all technology under the one term thus creating less public confussion with this r that r and every r under the alphabet thats why @Elad n created the page xr domains so this message doesn’t get lost in all the ar vr mr holo hologram etc that gets posted please call by and visit the xr page only if you want to if you do not believe in an umbrella term such as xr Then give it a miss but we welcome all talk . I don’t see how any person can question that xr as a term has not seen a large growth you can pick apart a website and find different bits here and there but remember it is early days for this tech ar vr mr etc i believe these companies are positioning early creating the xr term so they appeal to all consumers not just a niches

XR is still in speculation territory. There's no market for it.... but that hasn't stopped me from buying names (reg fee and a backorder here and there). I'm big on aesthetics when it comes to how I invest in names. It has to look right, sound right, feel right. But feelings don't translate to domain sales- Market indicators do and right now there isn't much there for a buy out. But there is clear indication that XR is moving in the right direction but it's not enough to go reggin en masse imo. I bought some solid hand regges early and 2 or so premium back orders. Even as things are looking up now though- I'm not buying anymore. I rather wait, let a market establish (if it ever does) and buy from the aftermarket but that's just one strategy.

Anyways, I think there's a very small opportunity here as it stands but I personally wouldn't give the advice to newbies to go down this road. Especially when VR is a better investment and AR is right around the corner. Still room to make profit but expectations should be tempered and realistic. This will be no VR. Especially as AR is next at bat. (I'll be writing a a post on movement I'm seeing in AR from my software soon) But a few XR names won't kill ya.

I have had 5 emails from start ups relating to my xr names they are all doing what a lot of people do and plead povety with no money to pay for a domain name but i am the wrong person for this type of email as i don’t care if i sell now i preferr to hold onto for now . But i am getting more action on xr than ar

Therein lies the conundrum. Email offers are not sales. If no one is selling then there is no sales data floating around hence no real market being established. A thriving market involves active buyers and sellers. There's already sales data floating around for AR. People have a sense of what to target. It's starting to emerge. Until XR reaches that basic level it's a big gamble.

But I believe a particular subsection of names will do especially well in it. Hence why I bought a handful of names.

Last edited:
•••
XR is still in speculation territory. There's no market for it.... but that hasn't stopped me from buying names (reg fee and a backorder here and there). I'm big on aesthetics when it comes to how I invest in names. It has to look right, sound right, feel right. But feelings don't translate to domain sales- Market indicators do and right now there isn't much there for a buy out. But there is clear indication that XR is moving in the right direction but it's not enough to go reggin en masse imo. I bought some solid hand regges early and 2 or so premium back orders. Even as things are looking up now though- I'm not buying anymore. I rather wait, let a market establish (if it ever does) and buy from the aftermarket but that's just one strategy.

Anyways, I think there's a very small opportunity here as it stands but I personally wouldn't give the advice to newbies to go down this road. Especially when VR is a better investment and AR is right around the corner. Still room to make profit but expectations should be tempered and realistic. This will be no VR. Especially as AR is next at bat. (I'll be writing a a post on movement I'm seeing in AR from my software soon) But a few XR names won't kill ya.

Therein lies the conundrum. Email offers are not sales. If no one is selling then there is no sales data floating around hence no real market being established. A thriving market involves active buyers and sellers. There's already sales data floating around for AR. People have a sense of what to target. It's starting to emerge. Until XR reaches that basic level it's a big gamble.

But I believe a particular subsection of names will do especially well in it. Hence why I bought a handful of names.

@BostonDomainer, are you aware of any enduser sales for AR?

•••
Well I think all the regulars here know that I over-invested in holo names, and it's painful letting so many names drop just when holo is finally starting to become a thing (even if just regards augmented and mixed reality rather than 'real' holographics).

I've made a big profit from my names all in all but if I had been a bit more conservative with the hand registering and put all the money I spent on useless names and renewals into bids for premium names, or even just a safe investment stock fund, then I'd probably have enough in the bank now to consider early retirement.

Thanks for the reply. When i first started out i planned to just register around 20 domains, i ended up having around 230 one point, i have around 130 now and will have around 30 around Christmas.

It can become addicting regging domains, it’s fairly cheap to do, have potential to sell for a nice amount (if you drop on), but they do amount up if you don't sell. So yeah i have learned my lesson with that too and only stick with domains that appear to be premium on paper.

I’ve only ever known one domainer be successful dealing with a huge portfolio of handreg quality domains and that’s Mike Mann, if it works great! Each to their own, it’s not the direction i want to go though personally.

Like you say i’d rather have 2 quality names, rather than 200 low quality.

•••
Those that really want a name will find it in your DLS and make offer or BIN.
I don't know why most torture yourselves having public reg info.
It took me 3 years to transition over to private as they renewed.
Worthless phone calls and spam went down 80% and continue to drop.
My level of aggravation with want and no money and scams was worth it alone.
Sales did not suffer. May have even increased but it is hard to say why exactly that is.
Last year I may have reg'd as many names as I did in 2013 when I bought the 'bulk' of my VR names currently held. But there is a strategy in that and some names were on my short list for a long time but I had seen no reason to reg them just yet. Not until things were further along. $avings.
I hold 5 XR names and have no dreams of grandeur for them except for a simple profit.
But I would call the play more selling into the hype when it hits. But a chance bet play in any case.

I hold about 435 names right now. My level will/has bounce from 350 to 500 over the last 10 years.
Some drops, some sales but always profits. I am not struggling on my renewals.
Many are reg'd up to the point where I think there will be up to a sale, 2-3 years ahead.
If you are that confident about your names, it should not be a problem.
I never buy more than about 8 per month. Normally, just the best 2-5 on my short list each month.
Giving me time to consider the options and which way the market is moving.
I feel no 'rush' to get them before anyone else. But I do feel the rush to know what is happening in the markets I work with to guide me on how to play them. And when.

You must place a 'limit' on potential downsides.
Successful Domaining as a biz, as with any other, is about properly managing overhead.
You may have some nice names and never realize it if you don't properly manage your overhead.
Many will sell their best names to renew the junk they hold.
Most will not really understand that unless it breaks them.
My personal learning lesson came between 2001 and 2006. And my current strategy's started in 2007
and I now play what I know best, not what I like best. Hunches become more accurate.
But you have to be honest with yourself about it.

But next year will be a telling year in the number of actual start-ups in new media.
And yes, most of them can not afford a high priced name.
And if you did not buy anything to fit their need at their price options, it's your loss.
50% of my buys in the last year were just that.
I have always emphasized greed is both a driver and a killer in this biz. Manage your greed.

•••
@BostonDomainer, are you aware of any enduser sales for AR?

yes. I've sold 3 to end users. And I know a few from others. I also track almost 4,000 keywords in my drt software to see what's changing hands monthly just like I did with VR. there's been a lot of movement. Personally I put my money where I see my market data pointing. I have spent xx,xxx on AR names so far with the highest public purchase at $1,500.

Don't take my last post as a negative to XR. As I said, I think there's an opportunity there to make profit otherwise I wouldn't have invested in it at all. I have about 20 names- which is a very small % of my overall realities portfolio. So there's money to be made for sure. It's just a much smaller pool. If this was stocks I would say add 5 quality names and HOLD but that's just me... just one domainers opinion.

•••
Go Big or Go Home... China's multi billion dollar VR theme park !
http://www.inavateonthenet.net/news...res-reveal-multi-billion-dollar-vr-theme-park
east-valley-park-overview.tmb-full-artic.jpg

(Boy the air there looks so good )

•••
•••
Just sold 'vrtimetravel(.)com for $3k...maybe Vr names are coming back.

•••

Congrats on the sale mate! Thanks for sharing. Also... VR names never went anywhere ;)

•••
VirtualTry-On / ARTry-On / ARTryOn

MAC Virtual Try-on Mirror review

Feeling completely lost with makeup? MAC’s Virtual Try-On Mirror lets you try on various looks without making a mess.

Shopping for makeup can be a little overwhelming. While we do have social media and YouTube creators to thank for the influx of beauty gurus and makeup tutorials, it’s common to think you won’t be able to pull off stellar and dramatic looks. But what if all you needed was augmented reality (AR) to give you that extra boost of confidence? MAC Cosmetics’ new beauty mirror gives users the opportunity to try on different makeup looks in real-time, with the help of ModiFace’s AR technology.

We had the opportunity to test out the MAC Virtual Try-On Mirror at the MAC Cosmetics retail store in New York City. It’s genuinely useful, and it realistically simulates a desired look in a split second.

Read more: https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/mac-virtual-try-on-mirror-review/

•••
yes. I've sold 3 to end users. And I know a few from others. I also track almost 4,000 keywords in my drt software to see what's changing hands monthly just like I did with VR. there's been a lot of movement. Personally I put my money where I see my market data pointing. I have spent xx,xxx on AR names so far with the highest public purchase at $1,500.

Don't take my last post as a negative to XR. As I said, I think there's an opportunity there to make profit otherwise I wouldn't have invested in it at all. I have about 20 names- which is a very small % of my overall realities portfolio. So there's money to be made for sure. It's just a much smaller pool. If this was stocks I would say add 5 quality names and HOLD but that's just me... just one domainers opinion.

I sold 1, but its still a very early position in this market as well.

•••
Damn!!! Now that's big lol. TheVRPark,com needs a home. VR parks and arcade is quite the phenomena in China now. It's insane. Hope it makes it's way overseas to the US in a meaningful way. A few large scale arcades are starting to pop up in major cities.
I'd keep that a while and not entertain offers by putting up a high minimum.
It's going to be 3 years before we really know how big this can get.

Could you say anything about the who and how the offer was made ?
But thanks for reporting it here to us.

VirtualTry-On / ARTry-On / ARTryOn

MAC Virtual Try-on Mirror review

Feeling completely lost with makeup? MAC’s Virtual Try-On Mirror lets you try on various looks without making a mess.

Shopping for makeup can be a little overwhelming. While we do have social media and YouTube creators to thank for the influx of beauty gurus and makeup tutorials, it’s common to think you won’t be able to pull off stellar and dramatic looks. But what if all you needed was augmented reality (AR) to give you that extra boost of confidence? MAC Cosmetics’ new beauty mirror gives users the opportunity to try on different makeup looks in real-time, with the help of ModiFace’s AR technology.

We had the opportunity to test out the MAC Virtual Try-On Mirror at the MAC Cosmetics retail store in New York City. It’s genuinely useful, and it realistically simulates a desired look in a split second.

Read more: https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/mac-virtual-try-on-mirror-review/
mirrARmirrAR (just a cute recent reg lol) no high expectations !

I sold 1, but its still a very early position in this market as well.
When will it not be too early ? I don't have all that much faith on the AR key-worded group of names but I have 30 or so of them.

•••

Start up back after walking away now $500 dollar offer on xrtube dot com will let you guys know

•••
I am asking $10 000 for xrtube dot com i want first xr sale to be a good one i know this will be hard as i will loose a few smaller sales but if achieved a positive move forward for xr names rather than just a few hundred dollars here and there

Last edited:
•••
I am asking $10 000 for xrtube dot com i want first xr sale to be a good one i know this will be hard as i will loose a few smaller sales but if achieved a positive move forward for xr names rather than just a few hundred dollars here and there

First was myxr.com 17k mate ;)

•••
Volumetric+keyword on its way.. Like it :)

•••
•••
I think someone just mentioned in one of these threads that he has AugmentedReality.in - looking good for him :)

•••

Well, a name like that you have to consider if endusers would brand themselves as xr. First of all I don't know what an augmented reality tube movie would look like, and even if there will be such things , not sure a tube site could easily handle both (ar and vr).

Last edited:
•••
Well, a name like that you have to consider if endusers would brand themselves as xr. First of all I don't know what an augmented reality tube movie would look like, and even if there will be such things , not sure a tube site could easily handle both (ar and vr).
Lol all i know is they have chased me for some time if they want it they will have to pay for it .

And you think about it how easy these start ups have it we take all the risk as in buying them and holding them for year after year we buy all types trying to get the right one we drop many that costs thousands and then they come along and say i have no money things are tight this is all i can pay, now if you want it you have to pay my price for it and it wont be dimes and nickles here

If not no problems i tell them to find another domain name as i did here and now they come back i dont know if anything will come of it if not no probs i am making a lot more money from crypto then domaining so it does not faze me

Last edited:
•••
Could you say anything about the who and how the offer was made ?
Yes it was outbound on LinkedIn, searched vrtimetravel and a number of people in that field came up, I wrote to each one. CEO of Timelooper etc. One guy came back to me and we negotiated. Tbh I wanted quite abit more, but accepted at $3k as needed the cash. Still got a few Vr names like vrspacetravel etc

•••
Yes it was outbound on LinkedIn, searched vrtimetravel and a number of people in that field came up, I wrote to each one. CEO of Timelooper etc. One guy came back to me and we negotiated. Tbh I wanted quite abit more, but accepted at $3k as needed the cash. Still got a few Vr names like vrspacetravel etc

Thanks for the reply and info.
Well Done !
I take a handful of names each month and check deep the news on likely start-ups looking for the potential buyer and make a few cold calls where appropriate.
But generally, not big on cold calling unless I really think I've found a good potential.

•••
Well nobody can accuse me of faking offers. I've stated here recently that I haven't had a single VR offer yet, despite all my names. I think the last offer I had was at least a year ago (HoloFights) and that wasn't really an offer but merely an enquirey (didn't reply back when I told him I 'knew the value' of a name like that).

•••
Well nobody can accuse me of faking offers. I've stated here recently that I haven't had a single VR offer yet, despite all my names. I think the last offer I had was at least a year ago (HoloFights) and that wasn't really an offer but merely an enquirey (didn't reply back when I told him I 'knew the value' of a name like that).
I don't get many offers 'cause I keep my minimums high. I don't really want to sell many yet and I'm not staving for cash. My renewals are well covered.

The real market for any of this stuff has not developed yet.
We have only seen 'the early birds'
I truly believe that next year will be the year of the start-up for many new things.
But that does mean a successful xmas season this year and I think that is going to happen.
For once all of those WMR and lower end products are in hands where others get to see and touch them, they sell themselves to others.
But I still look for national advertising on them that should start next week by traditional methods.
We shall see.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back