IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah I know it’s a long game, I knew that before I started investing – Domain sales seem to be drying up though, not improving and I think we all thought there would be an improvement not a decline – Whether this decline is actually because most previous sales was domainer to domainer and people have eLocked their domains up and are now waiting for end-users or if there’s another reason, only time will tell I guess.

I agree about the net though, no doubt people will still be typing on keyboards 10 years from now.

I guess the question is will ‘so called’ premium VR domains ever achieve premium prices, a guess that’s what we are all waiting for. And the same for AR and MR investors, if those abbreviations take off will premium keywords in those reach big money? If it does, I don’t look in the MR thread that often but had a flick through last night and noticed you’ve got some great ones (mobile/social).

Keywords like that, cracked it if demand is there :$: (y)

My belief is there will be great end user sales when the need for the domains does actually become a need.

At the moment we are in the VR startups stage where many companies are happy to just set themselves up on a cheap or reg fee brandable.

But once things become more advanced and people start seriously looking for niche specific content that's when companies see the investment being worthy.

Once people start searching for VR Poker for example in crazy volumes on a daily basis then a company in that field will think to themselves that might be an investment we must secure.

Very early days yet mate, I don't blame end users being a bit cautious as quite a few got burned in the last 3D hype.

•••
Sell you names in the hype time or make your self financelly ready to hold your names for the mass adoption of VR.

•••
•••
Question, do you sometimes find yourself questioning your investments and whether you’ve done the right thing or not spending what you have? :-/

I’m at that stage now, I've spent well into 5 figures on domain names, family/friends thinking I'm mad, still chasing the big BIG names (been very close with a few too) but feels like I’m at a cross-roads at the minute whether I’ve done/doing the right thing or not.

The VR thread is not as active as it once was, there’s not as many reported sales lately (I know there was a great sale of Virtual+Girl reported today though) but not as many seem to be investing big anymore and all the action seems to be in this thread lately due to the rise of AR/MR/hybrid headsets and people spreading their investments about more.

Rick Schwartz also recently talked about how demand for domains is not how it once was, so I think to myself if virtual tech becomes that revolutionary tech we all hope, does something 'revolutionary' actually need the ‘old’ and with that will demand for domains actually be worse or more? :unsure:

Anyone else feel like this? I'm sure we all have been there at some stage, there's only you guys I can discuss it with anyway because I don’t know anyone in person lol.

Opinions welcome (y)
I'd like to tackle MHO on that one...
I'm not sure how long most here have been domaining but we pretty much knew 8-10 years ago that there are many sales that are private/NDA or just fly under the radar.
So you can not gauge the market as you once were able to do.

The number floated then was 30-40% were NDA/Private. I venture to 'GUESS' that that number is closer to 60% now. But How would I know ? I do the only thing I can which is put watches of key domains for any change in DNS records. I see them change hands without any sales reports on them.
There are a lot of reasons for the buyer and the seller to want to stay under the radar with this but I'm not going into that here. Use your imagination it will come to you.

Saturation level....
So the move has been to 'ONLINE' for the past 20+ years, well guess what, most are here now.

As far as Rick Schwartz noticeable reduction... I think he has been preoccupied with other things that as the general market has hit saturation levels for entering the online space he was not watching the cutting edge of new fields entering the market but there is also this...

Facebook...
How many biz models do you know that use but only Facebook for their consumer interface and lead-in for the consumer base. I have to say it is pretty attractive to know things about you likely customer that even they may not know about themselves. While much of the data used in that sort of stuff may be correct, many assumptions made from it are often terrible. Then add one piece of incorrect data to it and it may be totally non-relevant for your purposes as a advertiser. In any case, it allowed marketing departments to be lazy using the Facebook model. Many were hero's initially for getting the results when they started but I think they are starting to realize this for what it is. It's going to be hard for them to push the corporate "MORE,More,more" if they stop with just Facebook now.

I also want to point out just how much the 'bankers disaster' has played in slowing the development of new biz. It is hard to measure but the normal funding for slight to medium risk investments just about halted a lot of startups that have no record of success from getting funded. They were left in the Venture Capital World where they found much of the same. You have seen that need slightly filled just a bit by folks like Kickstarter etc.

Time will tell but all these things has had a impact on domains but I think it is all about saturation levels for most existing niches. It's why I quit playing GEO's and many other Niche's 8 years ago.
Does anyone here think they could make a living on GEO names right now. While there are plays to be made yet on the end-user level, you are not going to get much of a buy-in to make it worth while.
The broad supply is gone and the need is minimal.

All the easy plays are over. Yes the bulk of sales for existing models has more than peaked.
So it is the NEED side of the equation.
So you are left with playing NEW niche's or very limited and smart old ones.

But if you have money burning in your hand and think it should be in names...
Wait... the right investments will come around from those that can't afford to wait any more.
Just make sure you are being patient with the right names.

Sorry for the long one but I think it may give at least some insight to what your not looking at.
For what it's worth... For our niche...
I am not nervous about it. It is meeting my expectations for growth and timeline. But I might add that with hardware delays, it did push back the overall development and consumer acceptance by at least a year.

But these things happen and are expected. When you can say there are 1B VR users (not counting cardboard), everything will look different. If anyone remembers nearly 2 years ago when I spoke about standards that are needed in the industry... they still have not happened and probably will not until the 2nd/3rd gen of products. (when everyone's growth becomes dependent on them) This industry can't go 'BOOM' without them.

Last edited:
•••
Question, do you sometimes find yourself questioning your investments and whether you’ve done the right thing or not spending what you have? :-/

I’m at that stage now, I've spent well into 5 figures on domain names, family/friends thinking I'm mad, still chasing the big BIG names (been very close with a few too) but feels like I’m at a cross-roads at the minute whether I’ve done/doing the right thing or not.

The VR thread is not as active as it once was, there’s not as many reported sales lately (I know there was a great sale of Virtual+Girl reported today though) but not as many seem to be investing big anymore and all the action seems to be in this thread lately due to the rise of AR/MR/hybrid headsets and people spreading their investments about more.

Rick Schwartz also recently talked about how demand for domains is not how it once was, so I think to myself if virtual tech becomes that revolutionary tech we all hope, does something 'revolutionary' actually need the ‘old’ and with that will demand for domains actually be worse or more? :unsure:

Anyone else feel like this? I'm sure we all have been there at some stage, there's only you guys I can discuss it with anyway because I don’t know anyone in person lol.

Opinions welcome (y)

I often try to mention in my comments that I am a newbie,so, I hope my thoughts/comments don't appear too unpolished. Although I own alot of domains, I don't consider myself a domainer. I get offers,but,I politely decline. I am a huge fan of VR & technology,so,that is the true reason why I come in this forum. You guys are an amazing collective pool of knowledge.
I understand that it is going to be a waiting game to cash in on these domains(if worth cashing in on),but, lately I've been wondering the same thing. Are they really gonna pay off?
I have a VR headset & check out a bunch of things,but,they are all through apps.
I wonder if I am getting it wrong by having web domains......while it will end up being an app playing field. Especially with mobile being so prominent in the early stages.
As a hobby/side project, I am learning the process of building up some of these sites.
I am often tempted to just say *uck it & unload my collection to people here that would actually appreciate them.

•••
I often try to mention in my comments that I am a newbie,so, I hope my thoughts/comments don't appear too unpolished. Although I own alot of domains, I don't consider myself a domainer. I get offers,but,I politely decline. I am a huge fan of VR & technology,so,that is the true reason why I come in this forum. You guys are an amazing collective pool of knowledge.
I understand that it is going to be a waiting game to cash in on these domains(if worth cashing in on),but, lately I've been wondering the same thing. Are they really gonna pay off?
I have a VR headset & check out a bunch of things,but,they are all through apps.
I wonder if I am getting it wrong by having web domains......while it will end up being an app playing field. Especially with mobile being so prominent in the early stages.
As a hobby/side project, I am learning the process of building up some of these sites.
I am often tempted to just say *uck it & unload my collection to people here that would actually appreciate them.
You seem to have a fair attitude for it.
Experience will only tell you better 'what not to do' more than 'what to do'.
And it's a better learning experience to see where others fail than to do it yourself. (cheaper too).

For Anyone,
A weekly visit to DLS listings and 'drop lists' is a very telling story if you take the time to do it.
When I look at the drop lists, I can read the persons mind as to what they were thinking because I read some of the same stuff they made those assumptions from.

•••
LiveHolograms

2018 PyeongChang Olympics Has 5G-Enabled VR, Live Holograms, Self-Driving Buses, Drones

KT Corporation plans to have a pilot of its 5G services ready in time for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in PyeongChang. The South Korean telecommunications company also has a grand vision of a tech-filled Olympics that will be enabled by the connectivity.

Glimpses of fans wearing a virtual reality headset to watch live speed skating and crowds reacting to 3D holograms of winter athletes in KT commercials are just the tip of the iceberg.

VR will be very much a part of the Olympics experience in PyeongChang, and KT recently showcased how it is looking to have 5G allow for 360-degree live VR of events like bobsled and a VR experience for the Olympic torch relay.

Read more: http://www.sporttechie.com/2017/03/...-vr-live-holograms-self-driving-buses-drones/

•••
Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah I know it’s a long game, I knew that before I started investing – Domain sales seem to be drying up though, not improving and I think we all thought there would be an improvement not a decline – Whether this decline is actually because most previous sales was domainer to domainer and people have eLocked their domains up and are now waiting for end-users or if there’s another reason, only time will tell I guess.

I agree about the net though, no doubt people will still be typing on keyboards 10 years from now.

I guess the question is will ‘so called’ premium VR domains ever achieve premium prices, a guess that’s what we are all waiting for. And the same for AR and MR investors, if those abbreviations take off will premium keywords in those reach big money? If it does, I don’t look in the MR thread that often but had a flick through last night and noticed you’ve got some great ones (mobile/social).

Keywords like that, cracked it if demand is there :$: (y)

You once told me that im defending my strategy and taking stuff personally and that you know that when you are sure about your investment you are not supposed to care about other opinions.
Well you can never be sure your investment will work and for me defending my strategy is important just because i believe that it got good chances, this belief for all investors shouldn't be based on a gut instinct (or not only on that) but on research, common sense and a lot of forward thinking. There are always ups and downs in this tech road as the x factor is still not around but remember your words about believing in your strategy! As long as it got some valid grounds :)

Anyways, we better try to stick to good keywords instead of average keywords (imo also in VR) so the chances for a sale will rise and as @NamesBond says, Diversify!

Gl everyone.

•••

I don’t really tell people I’m a ‘domainer’ when I told one of my friends I started ‘domaining’ he thought I was involved in some kind of fetish, a man version of a dominatrix, haha!
whip.gif

Developing is something I’m going to try and work on next. I like to think I have a good eye for virtual related domain, but have zero knowledge how to develop or have zero knowledge how to make money parking or how to sell my domains once I have them for that matter, so that’s something I have to get better at.

Last edited:
•••
I don’t really tell people I’m a ‘domainer’ when I told one of my friends I started ‘domaining’ he thought I was involved kind of fetish, a man version of a dominatrix, haha!
whip.gif

Developing is something I’m going to try and work on next. I like to think I have a good eye for virtual related domain, but have zero knowledge how to develop or have zero knowledge how to make money parking or how to sell my domains once I have them for that matter, so that’s something I have to get better at.

Exactly! Totally me as well. I figured....if a name I liked was available, buy it & deal with it later. I know it's going to be a while before anything happens,so, I have time to worry about it later.
I am a user of VR & I do make 360 videos.....so, I'm trying to come up with ideas/ways to implement that into future $$. I am coming up with content from utilizing my profession & clients/contacts. I feel I am slightly ahead of the VR curve than most people I know, so, I am trying to capitalize on that before it becomes too mainstream.

•••
The game we are in is the absolute hardest mate we have so many ups and downs with each new day. A new term suddenly appears then we hear such news as microsoft could be years away from a consumer based launch and we then realise we will need to hang onto these names for many more years plus allow time to develop a market and content more years added and costs go up and up and we are all scarifying things in our life for renewals.

You @KingslayerVR are fealing what we all feel from time to time what am i doing . I remember when i first started my friends and family thought i was crazy hear he goes again they only would see me spending money on names and couldn't grasp the concept of why people would pay for a domain name . Then i made some pretty big sales and all of a sudden people would not question me anymore about what i was doing i had some credibility.

It is hard to pick a term as i feel apple term will become a big part i know they are only one company but they are a part of most people's daily life and the term they use will be a major part of the value of that extension.

I believe in what @VRdommy says in name dieting keep your portfolio as thin as possible be honest with names if it's not that good drop it from time to time hey you may be wrong i dropped a name that a member here posts all the time and he paid x,xxx for it . Overall by keeping what you already have affordable you can hang in for as many years as needed. And avoid the trap of seeing a good name and thinking just one more.

Enough from me i feel like @VRdommy the size of this post but your feelings are no different from what we all feel aswell we all question from time to time what we are doing but believe and achieve.

Last edited:
•••
Just landed XRtours from expired. Not sure about the XR acronym (yet) but if it does take off, tours is one of my favorite keywords in the realities niche.

•••
A Cold Naked Feeling ....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-fccs-landmark-internet-privacy-protections/

Now, those outside the US have less worry. But I want you to think about some day when you are about to litigate a defense for some of the names you hold and the ability for your provider to sell at least what can appear to be damming data to those that would buy it. Or perhaps someone get to peek at the names you are looking at and buy them ahead of you. (godaddy had this problem 10 years ago)

Kinda crazy... my isp and others have a right to know everything I do online and to use/sell that data in ways we have not yet felt or can conceive the down side of but I can not find out who is on the other side of a email. Perhaps only if I will pay for it in the future ?

Far reaching implications for many years to come. I feel cold and naked.

•••
Just landed XRtours from expired. Not sure about the XR acronym (yet) but if it does take off, tours is one of my favorite keywords in the realities niche.
Mate anyone with the avatar name xr reality is always going to like xrtours.com i got from that collection that dropped on gd auctions xrgamer.com and a domainer mate of mine here on np got some killer ones from that collection too.

•••
Mate anyone with the avatar name xr reality is always going to like xrtours.com i got from that collection that dropped on gd auctions xrgamer.com and a domainer mate of mine here on np got some killer ones from that collection too.
There were some nice names from that drop. I had my eyes on 4 of them but had to narrow it down to 1. Nice pick up on XRgamer!

•••
Content...
Ready Player one ? - Despite Spielberg's misunderstood comments about the challenges of VR a couple of years ago, I bet money on his output. Along with HTC and Valve to stay on top of their game !
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...ill-feature-exclusive-vr-content-via-htc-vive

Justice League and Aquaman (WB) have a deal with iMax VR
http://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-vr-experience/

Lone Echo...
https://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feat...kes-vr-to-a-whole-new-level-of-immersion.aspx

While the Big Studio's get their stuff on the market, I am more interested what gets put out there in the smaller studio's & dev's late summer/fall this year. Many just got their seed money recently.
So look forward to some names demand from those folks soon.

•••
•••
I believe eSports.NET sold recently for 50K - Keep your hat on till it can be verified. (SEDO)

•••
•••
I believe eSports.NET sold recently for 50K - Keep your hat on till it can be verified. (SEDO)
I had a $xxxx offer for Vr/Esports/Betting in king recently. Too low.

•••
•••
4K360Cam(s)

Samsung Unveils New Gear 360 Camera Capturing 4K

Samsung’s Gear 360 camera was the company’s first real stab and a consumer-grade panoramic camera, revealed a few years ago, but it’s already back with an update.

The company revealed a new iteration of the Gear 360 today which is capable of capturing 2D 4K images. It features two 8.4 megapixel image sensors that can also capture 15MP images. Design-wise, the top of the device keeps the same spherical form factor, but the company has also included a handle below that will allow you to hold it whilst filming. It weighs 130g and connects to devices via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB 2.0.

Read more: https://uploadvr.com/samsung-unveils-new-gear-360-camera-capturing-4k/

•••
4K360Cam(s)

Samsung Unveils New Gear 360 Camera Capturing 4K

Samsung’s Gear 360 camera was the company’s first real stab and a consumer-grade panoramic camera, revealed a few years ago, but it’s already back with an update.

The company revealed a new iteration of the Gear 360 today which is capable of capturing 2D 4K images. It features two 8.4 megapixel image sensors that can also capture 15MP images. Design-wise, the top of the device keeps the same spherical form factor, but the company has also included a handle below that will allow you to hold it whilst filming. It weighs 130g and connects to devices via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB 2.0.

Read more: https://uploadvr.com/samsung-unveils-new-gear-360-camera-capturing-4k/
That was a needed update to the cam (4k). Still no 3D with this consumer version.
But it's enough to make many a happy consumer and lots of zanny 360 youtube videos.

I want to see the Pro/Procumer version from the 'Project Beyond' they showed 2 years ago.

I did expect Magic leap to release a Developer Prototype late this year.
Because if they can't, they are going to be left behind actual development.
Nobody knows if the device will be compatible with existing media.
If it's not, they have a real uphill battle.
(the need for standards still exists)

•••
Spatial .Audio / Live360 .net

Tomorrow Facebook Live 360 Goes Global, Adds Spatial Audio And Integrates With 360 Cameras

In December 2016 Facebook launched its Live 360 service, allowing users to share immersive stories, places and experiences in 360-degree live video. Today the company has announced the expansion of Live 360, enabling all of Facebook’s global users to upload and enjoy immersive video.

The announcement means anyone with a 360-degree camera can go live in 360 degrees on Facebook tomorrow.

Alongside this, Facebook has integrated Live 360 with several camera manufacturers to make the process even more seamless – accessible right from the camera interface. From the camera users will be able to log in, set post privacy and write a description and then once live see comments and reactions.

Currently, consumer compatible cameras include the Samsung Gear 360, Giroptic IO, Insta360, and ALLie Camera, while professional options include Z Cam S1 and Nokia Ozo. Facebook plans to continue working with other manufacturers to integrate additional cameras in the future.

That’s not all. Sound plays an important part of any 360-degree video so Facebook will be introducing spatial audio, so that users can enjoy proper immersive sound with any experience. Cameras which feature support for spatial audio in Live 360 are due soon, plus the company will also allow spatial audio to be added manually through an ambisonic microphone.

Facebook has been massively pushing virtual reality (VR) and 360 content since its acquisition of Oculus. This month saw the Facebook 360 app arrive for Samsung Gear VR, so that users can access 25 million 360 photos and more than 1 million 360 videos posted to date.

Read more : https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/03/tom...patial-audio-and-integrates-with-360-cameras/

•••
Spatial .Audio / Live360 .net

Tomorrow Facebook Live 360 Goes Global, Adds Spatial Audio And Integrates With 360 Cameras

In December 2016 Facebook launched its Live 360 service, allowing users to share immersive stories, places and experiences in 360-degree live video. Today the company has announced the expansion of Live 360, enabling all of Facebook’s global users to upload and enjoy immersive video.

The announcement means anyone with a 360-degree camera can go live in 360 degrees on Facebook tomorrow.

Alongside this, Facebook has integrated Live 360 with several camera manufacturers to make the process even more seamless – accessible right from the camera interface. From the camera users will be able to log in, set post privacy and write a description and then once live see comments and reactions.

Currently, consumer compatible cameras include the Samsung Gear 360, Giroptic IO, Insta360, and ALLie Camera, while professional options include Z Cam S1 and Nokia Ozo. Facebook plans to continue working with other manufacturers to integrate additional cameras in the future.

That’s not all. Sound plays an important part of any 360-degree video so Facebook will be introducing spatial audio, so that users can enjoy proper immersive sound with any experience. Cameras which feature support for spatial audio in Live 360 are due soon, plus the company will also allow spatial audio to be added manually through an ambisonic microphone.

Facebook has been massively pushing virtual reality (VR) and 360 content since its acquisition of Oculus. This month saw the Facebook 360 app arrive for Samsung Gear VR, so that users can access 25 million 360 photos and more than 1 million 360 videos posted to date.

Read more : https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/03/tom...patial-audio-and-integrates-with-360-cameras/
If not for the image stitching code in the cam, a fella should be able to split those 2 imagers and make themselves a really nice 3D 4k cam @180 for use in adult entertainment.

I'll let you know ...LOL...

BTW...
Dust off (check) your pricing on VR Cam/Tube/Live names.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back