Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

NameSilo
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, I was thinking about the conflict of having 2 MRs. I could be wrong, but am not sure if companies are really referring to Mixed Reality as "MR"...its mainly domainers and a small handful articles, so I focused my Merged Reality registrations on the full name rather than initials.

Like here for example, Intel doesn't use "MR", possibly to avoid any confusion.

https://iq.intel.com/what-the-tech-12-tech-terms-to-know-now/

Ultimately, if "Merged Reality" becomes a commonly used word, it could possibly affect the marketability of "MR" domains....because companies will want to avoid confusion. Not counting on Merged Reality to be a big hit just yet though.

Yes merged reality domains are not really in domainers sights at the moment either.

Loads of top keywords available to hand register if the term does gain momentum, but I myself am not holding high hopes.

Like you I did about 6 but won't go in heavy on a keyword that could come to nothing.

I think it does have a chance to stick around though, they must have spent quite a bit on their promotion video to get the phrase "Merged Reality" noticed. Celebs in the video as well!

Can't imagine they would go through all that effort unless they have plans to stick with the terminology and try to push for it to become an actual keyword:

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Why would you say that, This is not a showcase thread and everyone is showcasing !

Sorry. I'm not uptight about stuff like this. I just couldn't find anything about Merged Reality in those links

•••
Sorry. I'm not uptight about stuff like this. I just couldn't find anything about Merged Reality in those links
That's because there was not any to be found. This is not a merged reality thread.
My statement was to say 'don't get uptight about this stuff here'
If someone wants to start a thread of their own with a narrow focus, do so and leave everyone else alone.
Everyone who uses a thread they did not create wants to make-up the rules. NONSENSE.

•••
That's because there was not any to be found. This is not a merged reality thread.
My statement was to say 'don't get uptight about this stuff here'
If someone wants to start a thread of their own with a narrow focus, do so and leave everyone else alone.
Everyone who uses a thread they did not create wants to make-up the rules. NONSENSE.

Again...sorry to get you all pissed off, but I think it's worth having a look at the title of this thread. I understand that you think this is the VR thread but it's not...

•••
@VRdommy

This is kind of embarrassing so feel free to ask the mods to clean up your posts. At first you seemed like you were just trolling, but I think you really are serious.....

No hard feelings. I've posted in the wrong thread before as well.....I just hate to see you ruffling up your feathers for no good reason lol......let's have some fun alright?

•••
Hey @Eric Lyon, I really hate to bother you about this. Could you possibly clean up this thread a little. Above you'll see that @VRdommy got a little confused about where he was posting and I'm still not sure if he's understands where he's posting. I just launched this thread and it's already gone to a bit side tracked......

Thanks in advanced for any help. And again, I hate to bother you about this sort of thing.

•••
•••
•••
There seems to be a lot of confusion about what Merged Reality is. For one it's not Mixed Reality. It's kind of like the reversed and a handful of other things as well. Just to mention a few from what I've gathered:

1. Providing an ability to walk around in a space without worrying about bumping into tables and walls, because a Merged reality headset would either incorporate real world elements into the virtual world in real time, or recreate them in real time, with the use of senors and cameras built into the headset.

2. Being able to experience a video from any point location, effectively being able explore what you see from any angle.

3. Being able to use your hand and hand held objects from real life like a tennis racket to interact with the virtual world - no need for controllers.

4. I could be wrong, but the ultimate use case goal of Merged Reality from what I've gathered is to create virtual worlds indistinguishable from the real world that you can interact with in similar ways that you would in real life. In some ways Merged Reality is as similar to VR as Mixed Reality is similar to AR...but there are clear enough differences to warrant a different terminology....

ur point #1 is Mixed Reality dude!

Rest points (#2, 3 n 4) are correct! ;)

Mixed Reality - We see Virtual Content Mixed with our (natural) Surroundings /Environment.

Merged Reality - We see our Hands / Body / Tools Merged in Virtual (reality) Surroundings /Environment.

Recheck this Video peeps!

(IMHO... Merged Reality is no way as awesome as MixedReality.
Merged Reality is even way less exciting than Augmented Reality.)

Dont get excited for every other popping terms n throw ur :$: without doing enough research!

Just my 2 cents..

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
All i can say is that imo, its VR and won't be promoted strongly or taken seriously as merged.
Intention imo is to showcase a new VR headaet with enhanced capabilities (at least potential ones) and with merged they are getting more attention.
Not trying to defend my favorite term as i got more then a 100 MR names so same same for me with the acronym.

•••
There seems to be a lot of confusion about what Merged Reality is. For one it's not Mixed Reality. It's kind of like the reversed and a handful of other things as well. Just to mention a few from what I've gathered:

1. Providing an ability to walk around in a space without worrying about bumping into tables and walls, because a Merged reality headset would either incorporate
ur point #1 is Mixed Reality dude!

Rest points (#2, 3 n 4) are correct! ;)

Mixed Reality - We see Virtual Content Mixed with our (natural) Surroundings /Environment.

Merged Reality - We see our Hands / Body / Tools Merged in Virtual (reality) Surroundings /Environment.

Recheck this Video peeps!

(IMHO... Merged Reality is no way as awesome as MixedReality.
Merged Reality is even way less exciting than Augmented Reality.)

Dont get excited for every other popping terms n throw ur :$: without doing enough research!

Just my 2 cents..

Cheers!

Mads I do agree that Mixed Reality is awesome but the video above is not showing off an HMD, Intel have confirmed that they are not interested in building one.

It is just showing a concept that other companies can enhance through the tech it is sharing and partnerships it is forming.

This isn't Intel's attempt to replace VR AR or MR. This is Intel's attempt to create a new keyword for a tech that moves beyond the traditional parameters of what we class as VR.

Like I said before there was really no need for Intel to throw a new keyword into the mix and spend the amount of money that they have promoting the term. The reason they have is because they feel they have a chance to do just that !

Myself I am very aware that the term Merged Reality could fade away. But there is no evidence in my mind to say it definitely will.

News feeds were filled over the last couple of days, a term got lots of attention and no evidence I have seen have suggested that this term will definitely come to nothing?

Last edited:
•••
5G Cellular will be live in many places in 2018
https://www.wirelessweek.com/indust...riefs-t-verizon-us-cellular-rivada-freedompop

Alt Space gets redesign for Social
https://news.fastcompany.com/altspace-redesign-makes-vr-more-social-4017177

All in all, the pace of things has certainly picked up as I expected heading into x-mas season but it only goes up from here.
I would think that as we see 2nd gen devices in late 2017 through 2018, the industry will be full bore since improvements in what did not work or work well will be fixed or changed. And all of it will likely be a bit cheaper.

•••
Mads I do agree that Mixed Reality is awesome but the video above is not showing off an HMD, Intel have confirmed that they are not interested in building one.

It is just showing a concept that other companies can enhance through the tech it is sharing.

Right Bud!

My point is in that Video...

.......we see People / Hands in Virtual Reality Environment. That's Merged Reality according to Intel!

Now what Microsoft (Plus Disney Films etc) n MagicLeap (Plus Google, Lucas Films etc) are into Mixed Reality... to bring the Virtual Content to our surroundings (living rooms / desktop etc)

Which of these below you think is helpful!?

VR n Merged Reality:
A trainee getting trained in Virtual Environment where everything (virtual content) has to be built (artificial).

AR n MR / MixedReality:
A trainee getting trained in Natural Environment where ONLY required content could be brought into!

Hence said! Do research before checkout your every other-reality names!

Moreover Intel is more into Hardware (chips n fish) and It has just coined its Headset a new name (Merged Reality) just for uniqueness!

Intel is partnering with Microsoft for creating Mixed Reality World.

Recheck this Video carefully! Listen to CEO of the Intel'

Ring the Bell!?

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
Finally there is a normal thread for all realities discussion :)

•••
I hope that some of you realize that all the different "realities have something in common, sharing a lot of the same features and use cases with all tech contaminating each other. What's important to remember here is that this is not a Virtual Reality VS Merged Reality thread. There is already a thread about the differences between different realities. Please take the debate there, if you don't mind, thanks!

Also if you are feeling negative about Merged Reality that's perfect fine, but done try to crash the thread. I suspect that Augmented Reality may supersede Mixed Reality as a terminology, but you don't see me posting that in the MR showcase thread. We don't have to be religious about it, but let's stay on topic. Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
Will move to the other thread.

Last edited:
•••
Screenshot_20160819-002301.png
When i said VR, thats what i meant. Microsoft wouldnt play along with it if it was to risk their Mixed Reality space/term.

•••
Recheck this Video carefully! Listen to CEO of the Intel'

Ring the Bell!?

Cheers!

Mads, maybe you're wrong.
I can not quote the youtube video, but please recheck it.

As you see at 1:16 it is clearly a mixed reality device (with wire), and of course the CEO used correctly the Mixed reality expression.

Other sign of the Mixed Reality, as you see in the video, it can work inside a limited area.

Merged Reality is totally different, it is wireless!
The main differnce between the Mixed Realiy and Merged Reality:
You can go anywhere with a Merged Reality headset.

•••
Mads, maybe you're wrong.
I can not quote the youtube video, but please recheck it.

As you see at 1:16 it is clearly a mixed reality device (with wire), and of course the CEO used correctly the Mixed reality expression.

Other sign of the Mixed Reality, as you see in the video, it can work inside a limited area.

Merged Reality is totally different, it is wireless!
The main differnce between the Mixed Realiy and Merged Reality:
You can go anywhere with a Merged Reality headset.

Please research.
1)hololens is wireless
2)different tech

•••
Please research.
1)hololens is wireless
2)different tech

1) Ok, I quoted and reacted to Mads's misunderstood intel video. - that video was not a good example against the Merged Reality word usage.

2) Ok, lets talk about Hololens too
"Microsoft HoloLens is the first fully self-contained, holographic computer, enabling you to interact with high‑definition holograms in your world."

but they say this too:

"This is mixed reality. Mixed reality blends 3D holographic content into your physical world, giving your holograms real-world context and scale, allowing you to interact with both digital content and the world around you."

The keywords are: mixed reality, holo, holographic content,.

Can you show me a picture where the device works outside, and not in their ofice?
I dont find outside usage image in their promo materials. - This is Mixed Reality?. - mixed in their office - they bring inside the outside environments.

Nobody wants to compete with Microsoft. The holo and the holographic now are their worlds, and nobody want to meet with their lawyers.

Merged Reality is an other, maybe a better expression for the indie developers, startups and small companies, because it is open and it can give more freedom in the real world and not only in the office.

It is very hard to define exactly Merged Reality because it is very new, and this is why we need to talk and argue about this topic.

We are at the start of something very amazing!!!

Currently and theoretically (in my opinion)
I feel that, the difference will be between Mixed Reality and Merged Reality,
as the difference is between Windows and Linux.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back