IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

large_miirage.png
large_miragely.png

both .com

•••
No...no and more nope...all colors and hues of no.

Given the impact that AR will have on our lives in the next 10-15 years I think AR is under-hyped right now.

All it takes is for AR glasses to *almost* look like ordinary glasses and that is going to kill a large portion (not saying all, but large portion) of TV, monitors, desktops, laptops, smartphones, smartwatches, many forms of advertising, and at least 30 - 50% of what's left of the already dying news paper industry. It's even going to disrupt how much people will use VR.

AR is the next computing platform. So think of how much mobile phones and computers have changed the world (education, logistics, hospitality, tourism, manufacturing, agriculture, etc, etc, etc) and then think of how under-rated AR is. AR will affect us in ways we are completely unaware of as well.

AR will be so big that there are probably industries that don't exist today that will emerge because of AR.

So is AR over-rated?? Use your own head and think for your self.

The above post was heavily edited lol...

•••
LG 'UltraGear'
http://www.thevirtualreport.biz/news/64897/lg-ultragear-revealed-as-new-vr-headset/
Probably be announced and shown at CES2018 like a bunch of other new HMD's.

I am of the belief that there are plenty of HMD's out there for one's price range and taste.
The additional competition will likely bring better pricing to boot.
And we will likely see a Rift CV2 and a Vive-2 by next xmas or CES 2019.

But in 2018, my 'names focus' is on low end content start-ups.
I have already begun pricing names for them and moving away from the higher prices that I maintained to keep investors from bugging me while I waited for end-users to appear.
And I am providing short finance options on many of them. Should make the difference.

And while future years 'names' may belong to other techs, it will be VR's year.
I will judge what to do with 2019 when 2018 is nearly over.
But I suspect 2019 will be stronger of the same with other tech's inching in.
2020 will be very dependent on AR HMD's releasing over the next 12-36 months and the cost of them.
At this point we have no solid dates for any of them, but I have a large collection of AR names and I've held most of them since 2012/13. So I'm itching for end users.
But I still don't expect the demand for the AR term/keyword in the names to be sharp.
Much to my own dismay.

•••
PiMax 8K getting more refinements before consumer launch.
https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-revi...uary-shipping-date-consumer-version-unlikely/

Surprising...
that VR at this 8k & 200 degree fov level is likely to beat any consumer AR HMD to the consumer market.
And using Valve's tracking system, could claim to be the top dog, provided HTC does not release a better sequel shortly. I find that close but unlikely.
Looks like we will need a 24k VR/360 cam sooner than later.

•••
Pixar in VR for a Virtual Experiment. Pretty big step for both Pixar and VR.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/coco-vr-made-pixar-a-believer-in-virtual-reality/

First 'Sticky' monetization model for 360/VR ?
https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/28/...ticky-monetization-model-for-the-vr-industry/

I can see where, in the future, a blank spot can be allocated 'like a billboard, so to speak', that can input the current advertiser into that spot in a VR game or 360/VR streaming video.
That 'allocated' spot could be a logo on a t-shirt of a avatar or the sign on a building or a passing car/truck.
It is starting to make more sense since more of the games need to be loaded per use online and no local copy is kept. Many steam games are like this. Keeping only some indexing files and history locally.
Just additional ways to monetize games and 360 video.
Inconspicuous advertising. They do it in movies, but it is permanent and can't be changed on the fly.
They will do it because they can ! Next best thing short of tattooing the inside of your eyelids ! LOL

•••
There will always be a bunch of companies that only do VR and AR and will brand themselves as such, instead of XR since there is no need.

The general consensus is that XR means both AR and VR, or all realities combined. The other ways that it's being used could be viewed as a misuse of the term, like branding a single reality product or service with it. But this is just my perspective. Others may say that because a sing reality falls into the XR spectrum it can also be labeled as XR.

People do what they want when it comes to branding, which is why domain investing is full of surprises, but there is at least an assumed general consensus for the usage of some terms that many people may share within an industry...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Nice one, although I’m obviously hoping Volumetric Video is the natural progression of VR Video and just ends up being called ‘VR Video’.

I’ve noticed all my investments and things I’m wanting to do well you have the opposite and want something else to do well
jerkit.gif

:xf.wink:

Im a copycat ;)

•••
Not my concern, i also thought about design one but dont know how to spot it lol

It's a word and design trademark because they describe the basic spelling and it's design. It's not completely approved though. Could be that another company like Google may oppose it.

This is not my profession, so I also find this kind of stuff pretty interesting. There are other "AR" trademarks granted to tech companies.

•••
Top Gun in VR ? Free Screening... One Day Only
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60296/top-gun-free-vr-screenings-24-hours/index.html

3Dvirtualcinema vr-cinema - could be 2 years before these become useful.

The bigger VR gets, the larger the target on it's back for others to pick at it.
We have seen plenty of that.
As David Bowie once said... it does not matter if they talk good about you or bad about you,
if they talk about you, ...you are doing just fine. Or something to that effect.
But it was nice to read a realistic review of the industry.
http://www.techradar.com/news/2017-is-the-year-the-vr-went-from-gimmick-to-game-changer

•••
•••
Sure but AR won't be able to do fully immersive 360 video's.

This article:-

https://www.roadtovr.com/believe-hype-hypevrs-volumentric-video-capture-glimpse-future-vr-video/

And the video demonstrated in that article that Intel shown at CES 2017 convinced me that VR Video (3D 180/360 video) was the future more so than 360 Video (2D 360) it's one of the reasons why i went all out on that domain as i was just blown away by it all.
Yes, I remember reading on this earlier this year.
Straight-up it's more complicated and data heavy than can be utilized in the consumer market for a while.
But as they said in the article,
"And that last one is probably where volumetric video capture will ultimately go in the future—a fusion of live-action scene captures combined seamlessly with CGI models in heavy post production".
This offers the most do-able in the near term.
But when you get to this level, you are really talking about...
Augmented Virtuality ! Better known as mixed reality (not windows mixed reality).
And my guess is we may only be 3 years from seeing some of the first on the consumer market.
But who knows what they may actually call it by then.
It really does need a name of it's own, at least for the recording process.

•••
DirectReality - Brought to you by the fine folks at Microsoft.
TM applied for in June but not yet granted... but soon I'm sure it will.
Before anyone has a hissy about a new reality or rushes to buy DR names...
It most likely is a replacement fo directX for new media. Not a over the shelf consumer product.
Much like WebVR now WebXR is for Mozilla. But will it render WebXR irrelevant ?
I still patently await as these 'standards' form. The industry can not fly high like we expect without them.

https://trademarks.justia.com/874/73/directreality-87473642.html
Goods and Services
Computer software for use in the design, development and execution of virtual and/or mixed reality software, virtual and/or mixed reality game software, and holographic software; application programming interface software for virtual and/or mixed reality applications, virtual and/or mixed reality game applications, and holographic software applications; computer game software; computer software for transmitting, projecting, visualizing, manipulating, immersing and integrating holographic applications
Goods and Services
Providing online non-downloadable computer software for use in the design, development and execution of virtual and/or mixed reality software, virtual and/or mixed reality game software, and holographic software; providing online non-downloadable application programming interface software for virtual and/or mixed reality applications, virtual and/or mixed reality game applications, and holographic software applications; providing online non-downloadable computer software for transmitting, projecting, visualizing, manipulating, immersing and integrating holographic applications; Software as a Service (SaaS) services featuring software for use in the design, development and execution of virtual and/or mixed reality software, virtual and/or mixed reality game software, and holographic software; software as a Service (SaaS) services featuring online application programming interface software for virtual and/or mixed reality applications, virtual and/or mixed reality game applications, and holographic software applications

Pseudo Mark DIRECT REALITY

Godaddy may now be your domain aftermarket competitor ! and in a big way !

https://domainnamewire.com/2017/12/28/9-of-2017-godaddy-gobbles-up-more-domain-name-portfolios/
I have moved all but 5 names from them over the last 2 years. It's been a good move for me.
Exceptional actually !
But they have the eyes of most of the domain market so will they show favor to what they hold.
They have had a history and a good success rate with 'up-selling' until lately.
They are losing ground big time to enom, ename and namesilo and now have to answer to shareholders.

•••
Not sure if you've been following, but I've been talking about this. If a company only provides VR experiences and they have XR in their brand, it's possible that they plan on expanding later. Because immersive tech is early in its re-emergence, this kind of chaos should be expected. There isn't much that a AR company can do before glasses come, so there will be XR brands that merely illustrate their company's future plans.

There will also be VR branded companies that provide both AR and VR naming their services XR, which is an issue that may be easily remedied by a rebranding.

And please consider that X-Reality means X as a variable. That means it all of the Immersive technologies in general, not COMBINED.

Extended Reality should be ER to end this confusion. Extended means everything combined as a single technology (if I understand correctly). So because Extended is also referred to as XR, it's confusing if a product or service is assumed to be such, instead of X as a variable.
I'm sorry, your explanation is not going to clear things up for consumers.
What is a XR experiance ?

•••

pretty simple .

All kinds of immersive experiences . may it be AR VR etc..

•••
pretty simple .

All kinds of immersive experiences . may it be AR VR etc..
As I said... any of the above not all of the above as defined.

•••

An XR experience is a general term. If I said there's a bird on your roof you wouldn't press me to elaborate further about which species it is would you?

If there is a company using "XR Experience" to describe *one*, single product or a service that only uses a single reality, they are misusing the term or simply getting in on the hype and trendiness of this fresh new term.

Doesn't mean it's correct.

And again, I'm not sure if you've been following but I've been saying perhaps a BILLION times here and in the XR thread that it's NOT a consumer term yet...because they aren't aware of it. Most still are unaware of AR.

Last edited:
•••
An XR experience is a general term. If I said there's a bird on your roof you wouldn't press me to elaborate further about which species it is would you?

If there is a company using "XR Experience" to describe *one*, single product or service they are misusing the term or simply getting in on the hype and trendiness of this fresh new term.

Doesn't mean it's correct.

And again, I'm not sure if you've been following but I've been saying perhaps a BILLION times here and in the XR thread that it's NOT a consumer term yet...because they aren't aware of it yet. Most still are unaware of AR.

How would I know what you are talking about by just saying XR ?
It's VR-XR or AR-XR or MR-XR or AI-XR
or Haptics-XR
https://trademarks.justia.com/870/97/xr-87097086.html

It's like the extra hand that does not function.

•••
•••
And I think you are just over thinking the need for it. And it's practical uses applied.
This is about names, not tech. I see nothing but consumer confusion.

I actually see a need, and the need is rising btw But we will know better soon.

WebXR replacing WebVR is a huge step

•••
I actually see a need, and the need is rising btw But we will know better soon.

WebXR replacing WebVR is a huge step

The larger point is, that if I have to still state VR AR MR AI 4D
For you to understand what I'm talking about
Why do I need to use it at all ?

•••
I think that’s a problem for XR in that people don’t know what it actually stands for yet, is it ‘x’ as a variable? Extended? Extra? There needs to be a set term for it or it will confuse consumers should it ever be a consumer term someday.

Me personally i like it as a variable and like how you can put the V on top of the A to make an ‘X’ and that alone is why it ‘could’ have a future. Extended/Extra i don’t think it’s going to go anywhere

‘X’ and ‘extended’ doesn’t even make sense and that’s a problem as XR is mainly being promoted as ‘extended’ - There’s barely anything on twitter of xR being called xReality and as said i think that’s what it needs to be personally to have a future.

It will have a future as cross reality imo .

Things are moving pretty fast actually and as i mentioned before, WebXR will make it well known.

•••
Do you want to really bring another stupid reality to the table? Come on now...

Cross Reality? Jesus....

•••
Listen guys. XR as it's most excepted means X as a variable. Developers are the largest group of people using this term from my observation and they have the strongest influence. It's why there is still some resistance to Mixed Reality even though the term is thrown around everywhere by CEOs and journalists who mock their words.

X as a fucking variable. Non-consumer term. Once you digest these two important points all of your questions are answered.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back