Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Saw this sale on DNJ today

Emersive.com
$25,000

and this one, someone playing with fire

HTCVR.com
$2,110
HTCVR may be a stupid buy, but that depends on what you use it for. We do assume, perhaps incorrectly.
But nothing to stop someone from holding the name.
As Eric Clapton sang... 'It's in the way that you use it'. Only that could say if you are infringing on a mark.
Hopefully the buyer is making a fan club site with it,
as that is about all you could get away with in the VR world.
It's a lot of money if you don't have a smart plan.

Last edited:
•••
HTCVR may be a stupid buy, but that depends on what you use it for. We do assume, perhaps incorrectly.
But nothing to stop someone from holding the name.
As Eric Clapton sang... 'It's in the way that you use it'. Only that could say if you are infringing on a mark.
Hopefully the buyer is making a fan club site with it,
as that is about all you could get away with in the VR world.
It's a lot of money if you don't have a smart plan.

Totally agree on usage, but we see this all the time, its usually a domainer with no idea, thinking hes going to make the sale of all sales :xf.smile: redirects to joinvibe.com

•••
Totally agree on usage, but we see this all the time, its usually a domainer with no idea, thinking hes going to make the sale of all sales :xf.smile: redirects to joinvibe.com
Likely so, but I have never seen a noob pay that much for a name without a plan.
I guess I'll have to add it to my watch list...
which, BTW, folks should go look at holos again as it does appear to be a investor play.
I'm ok with surprises. Been some time since we have seen any/many.

And then this I ran into today...
HTC Vive Focus 3
https://www.cnet.com/news/htc-vive-focus-3-hands-on-the-future-of-vr-beyond-oculus-quest-2/

Last edited:
•••
Likely so, but I have never seen a noob pay that much for a name without a plan.
which, BTW, folks should go look at holos again as it does appear to be a investor play.

HTC Vive Focus 3
https://www.cnet.com/news/htc-vive-focus-3-hands-on-the-future-of-vr-beyond-oculus-quest-2/

Mate, a lot of people (plenty on NP too) have more money than sense. People spend a lot more than 2k on a name with no plan for it. Most people wont post those because they dont wanma look silly.

•••

HTC Vive Focus 3

You've been a member of this site for too long to not know the difference between a domain investor and a domain squatter.

https://www.dynadot.com/community/article/qa/squatters-vs-investors

Squatters spend thousands on trademarked domains all the time, with "a plan", that is of course uneducated or I'll intentioned. Having a plan involving resale of a trademarked domain is stupid regardless. These people are certainly not domain investors and don't belong here. I think you know that only a nano-fraction of these registrations end up being actual news or review sites...

Last edited:
•••
Jig.space is a cool hack and a very cool AR app.

5Jigs_1440.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Mate, a lot of people (plenty on NP too) have more money than sense. People spend a lot more than 2k on a name with no plan for it. Most people wont post those because they dont wanma look silly.
I would agree, but were not talking any name, we are talking TM & 2k+.
As far as looking silly, It seems quite the opposite. Because they do not know it seems silly to most, they think it is smart and tell everyone. Really noob dumb or really smart... time will tell.

A dumb noob would put a for sale sign of some sort on it, this buyer is forwarding it.
??? Traffic generation ???
I'm thinking he/she knows their way around TM ...
...and have something to do with 'Which Wich' & 'JoinVibe rewards'.

They all have the same nameservers.

It could be that it is part of a seo operation and that is sometimes part of the game they play as
'SEO sub-contractors' protecting any wrong doing in a sub contracted service..
If they get caught with a C&D, they just stop with that name. You would be surprised just how long many can go and never get caught. I seen it often enough through the years.
I have a hunch that they all have the same marketing team/co.

And one other possibility that HTC has sanctioned this marketing move with JoinVibe Rewards ?
That makes the most sense to me.
They got a name and likely some kinda discount/rewards program coming. All handled by a marketing team /co, who bought the name. It's faster than litigation, if you are in a hurry.

Well... I'm not say'n it is so... but it sure looks suspicious.
I simply am explaining my original thinking in detail.
But still, it's not making 'exact sense'. That's why I say I'll watch it.
20+ years of watching dumb stuff, and this one looks different.

Last edited:
•••
I would agree, but were not talking any name, we are talking TM & 2k+.
As far as looking silly, It seems quite the opposite. Because they do not know it seems silly to most, they think it is smart and tell everyone. Really noob dumb or really smart... time will tell.

A dumb noob would put a for sale sign of some sort on it, this buyer is forwarding it.
??? Traffic generation ???
I'm thinking he/she knows their way around TM ...
...and have something to do with 'Which Wich' & 'JoinVibe rewards'.

They all have the same nameservers.

It could be that it is part of a seo operation and that is sometimes part of the game they play as
'SEO sub-contractors' protecting any wrong doing in a sub contracted service..
If they get caught with a C&D, they just stop with that name. You would be surprised just how long many can go and never get caught. I seen it often enough through the years.
I have a hunch that they all have the same marketing team/co.

And one other possibility that HTC has sanctioned this marketing move with JoinVibe Rewards ?
That makes the most sense to me.
They got a name and likely some kinda discount/rewards program coming. All handled by a marketing team /co, who bought the name. It's faster than litigation, if you are in a hurry.

Well... I'm not say'n it is so... but it sure looks suspicious.
I simply am explaining my original thinking in detail.
But still, it's not making 'exact sense'. That's why I say I'll watch it.
20+ years of watching dumb stuff, and this one looks different.

You read far too much into it and give these clowns far too much credit 😊 it's often just a crappy cover to make it look like theyre going to use the name for something other than TM infringement/reselling. What has "HTV VR" have to do with joinvibe?
Watch what happens to the name in the future.

Either way, theyre idiots buying names like that and they know what they're doing. They just dont wanna park it and end up with HTC ads all over the page.

Last edited:
•••
You read far too much into it and give these clowns far too much credit 😊 it's often just a crappy cover to make it look like theyre going to use the name for something other than TM infringement/reselling. What has "HTV VR" have to do with joinvibe?
Watch what happens to the name in the future.

Either way, theyre idiots buying names like that and they know what they're doing. They just dont wanna park it and end up with HTC ads all over the page.
I have not made my mind up yet about buyer intent, so I have given nobody credit for anything. Except that at a minimum, they are not a stupid noob and are aware of TM.
Just presented possibilities.
But, obviously, you have made your mind up. I would encourage you not to be quick to judge and write off.
There is always more to learn.
I will be watching it as I said. I am following more than a hundred sales of the past 3 years mostly. But only about 35 in the VR world.

•••
I have not made my mind up yet about buyer intent, so I have given nobody credit for anything. Except that at a minimum, they are not a stupid noob and are aware of TM.
Just presented possibilities.
But, obviously, you have made your mind up. I would encourage you not to be quick to judge and write off.
There is always more to learn.
I will be watching it as I said. I am following more than a hundred sales of the past 3 years mostly. But only about 35 in the VR world.

Ok let's watch and see, seen this same thing too many times over the years, doesnt matter how you look at it, still a TM, unless hes starting Harry Thompson Tallahasse Vacation Rental, which I can assure you is not the case 😊

•••
Ok let's watch and see, seen this same thing too many times over the years, doesnt matter how you look at it, still a TM, unless hes starting Harry Thompson Tallahasse Vacation Rental, which I can assure you is not the case 😊

Harry Thompson Classy Vacation Rental I meant :xf.smile:

•••
•••
•••
•••
VR Nerf gun battles are coming to Oculus Quest next year
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nerf-ultimate-championship-vr-oculus-092509878.html

You just know that is the start of something great.
Live multiplayer VR games 'at home'
Can't miss. But how to capture that in names ?

Yes, it's going to be great. I think you can already do multiplayer in some of the most popular games, such as Arizona Sunshine, which is a zombie shoot'em'up where you can join together in 'teams'.

I have names like LiveVRGaming, LiveVRGames.

•••
•••
•••
I have VRChat dot org. Do you think they would be interested in it? Should I contact them?
Of course don't contact them at least... inviting UDRP with that

•••
I have VRChat dot org. Do you think they would be interested in it? Should I contact them?
The term could be considered generic. I see no issues with the name. Even if they have a mark, it may not hold much water as it would be a limited mark at best or changeable.
If your owner/reg predates their existence, I would not worry about making a offer to sell.
But personally, I would just put up a firm attractive sell price on a lander.
Selling something somewhat generic should not be a issue, but why 'try to sell' something like that.
Allow a buyer easy access to do so. Get your price when the market comes to you.
Time is on your side.
You know I've had vrchatrooms since 2013. Not going to 'try' to sell it outside of a lander.
But I did reg vrchatz in 2016 and that term, if you were to mark, is very protectable, not generic.
It will be some time before the market gets crowded enough for anyone to think that way. 3-5yrs?+?

I would wait for a good/better opportunity to rise in the markets future for your .org
There is a lot to evolve in the industry yet.

•••
•••
Of course don't contact them at least... inviting UDRP with that

If that were the case, then here's a tip on how to get any premium domain. Start a company branded on the domain you want (for example : VR Sport), trademark it, then submit UDRPs to every owner of every VRSport dot extension name.

•••
If that were the case, then here's a tip on how to get any premium domain. Start a company branded on the domain you want (for example : VR Sport), trademark it, then submit UDRPs to every owner of every VRSport dot extension name.
I get your point. Date of registration precedes that trademark so one is safe.
But many a times these UDRP'rs use these outbound emails we send them to prove that we registered it in "bad faith".. what am I getting wrong?
Even if in the end, you win the case, legal costs I've heard are about 5k or so..

•••
But many a times these UDRP'rs use these outbound emails we send them to prove that we registered it in "bad faith".. what am I getting wrong?
Even if in the end, you win the case, legal costs I've heard are about 5k or so..

The threat of a UDRP ("You Derp") in an email doesn't cost the receiver anything and these cases get tossed regularly. It costs 10s of thousands of dollars to file a UDRP which is often more than the cost to buy the domain is what I've read. In fact, my understanding is that you don't have to pay a thing to defend and just let it get rejected if you are confident the case will be thrown out. There have been cases where the UDRP defendent never even responded and the UDRP ended up rejected. But there such a thing as domain high jacking by UDRP with a registration prior to a trademark thrown taken away.

Last edited:
•••
It is the case that you do need to 'know your stuff' when it comes to TM.
You are reading the cases, so that is a big plus in understanding them.
Make sure you understand 'the judgements'.
Legit or not, many will just try to bully you in letting go. Can be cheap and quick for them and you need to know if 'YOU HAVE RIGHTS' as well. The best way of making some claim to rights is being a web developer and not intentionally buying brand names with marks. History can be used against you even if you don't do it anymore.

Your understanding of it all will tell you better what to do and what not to do.
I have a few names that my ownership predates a TM. One of them has registration but in only 2 states.
(read all the print of a mark) And the ownership of it is held in a 3rd state where there are no taxes on the value of the TM.
That one I worry nothing about unless I were stupid enough to host something confusingly similar with it or try to sell to one of their competitors for traffic. That is bad faith.
A mark is a whole word or graphic.. 1 each for every specific product or service. And only one. And they need to be specific for protection.

Oculus that you know is not the only Oculus. There were many before them and still active. Go to the TM database and look them up and see the difference and that will help you understand.
But the one you know is actually Oculus VR. Oculus is generic.

Then read on Google's attempt to reg the term 'GLASS' as it did not go over well. They could have reg'd the term Google Glass, but chose to try to own a generic word.

Then look up Niki as to all the goods and services they say they want to protect with a
generic name of the 'god of victory'. While a lot of it is challengable, most of us do not have the money to stand up to them and they will get away with that. For now. They never push a case they think they might loose. But they do not own the word. But are aggressive in protection.
Because they have the money to do it and they know they built around a generic word.

This is the most important part of domains, so don't be shy, read-up. It's your money. Or not.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back