Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
True , does not mean it's beening built but fact it was recently reg, just has me curious :)
Well,
I keep a list of sites to look at from time to time.
Well, I have a bunch of lists, but one is dedicated to that kinda stuff.
So when you have a slow day, it's quick and easy check-up.
Hard to express the value of pen and paper over memory. LOL

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Going to have to wait till jan to see how HMD sales went, but it is interesting PS5's are sold out.
I wonder if the pandemic lowered production numbers or it is doing that well ?
Perhaps a little of both ?

•••
•••
•••
•••
Probably good to have something in the space.... but what exactly ?

3 years ago there were a couple of co's doing this.
Not sure if they are still around or bought up by others. But it's not new.

I believe I had 3dglass at one time and let it drop about 3 years ago.
I'm not saying 3d__.. I'm saying SR+keyword.. .. dabbled in that?

•••
My personal opinion is you would be wasting your money chasing that as a blanket play. Perhaps if you were to target one or two as a chance play.

There have been plenty of posts in several threads here that have thought the same about many plays like that and are still waiting for something meaningful to show itself.

So, if you are to target something and assume that you are right. What are the 3 best names to play.
Play them while you can get them. You can drop one or all of them in a year or two when you have more info.
That is how I play a hunch.

•••

Most of the best SR keywords were taken along time ago.

I know lots of patents show the SR acronym relating to "synthesized reality" but I think most of these are old patents that have just been renewed and Apple did not amend the old patents with most of the wording.

I think the safer bet with Apple is augmented reality (AR) which is a term they already use and are likely to continue to utilise in the future.

I have done a few SR keywords myself but had to settle for keyword + SR in most cases.

But I don't expect I will renew these unless Apple shows their hand by next year which I am not expecting.

But got things like:

Glasses SR
Poker SR
Medical SR
Entertainment SR
Cinema SR

Did get a few reverse such as:

SR Arcade
SR Adult
SR Headset

But like I said, SR is a massive gamble compared to a term like AR, good luck though(y)

Last edited:
•••

I know lots of patents show the SR acronym relating to "synthesized reality" but I think most of these are old patents that have just been renewed and Apple did not amend the old patents with most of the wording.

I think the safer bet with Apple is augmented reality (AR) which is a term they already use and are likely to continue to utilise in the future.

I have done a few SR keywords myself but had to settle for keyword + SR in most cases.

But I don't expect I will renew these unless Apple shows their hand by next year which I am not expecting.

But got things like:

Glasses SR
Poker SR
Medical SR
Entertainment SR
Cinema SR

SR Arcade
SR Adult
SR Headset

But like I said, SR is a massive gamble compared to a term like AR, good luck though(y)

I quoted synthesized reality but I think lots on social media prefer simulated reality which is also mentioned in patents.

•••

But got things like:

Glasses SR
Poker SR
Medical SR
Entertainment SR
Cinema SR

SR Arcade
SR Adult
SR Headset

Yes in the article I posted it's "synthesized reality".. appreciate your comment!

•••
•••
Oculus Quest 2 Sold Out Through The End Of 2020 (Update)
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-2-sold-out/

This does not surprise me, but we do not know how many units it really is.
The real trick here is to watch VR software sales after xmas. It will tell us a lot !

Anyone herd anything about CES 2021... can't see this happening as a in person event.
They are going to have to stream a show for us or something.

•••
How many units in your opinion?5mil?

•••
How many units in your opinion?5mil?
I would guess easily over 3M worldwide. Facebook does not reveal numbers like you might think.
These co's like to sell out for the news factor. But we also have covid.
We don't know what was in production and not likely to find out till they want a stock boost.
It is easier to keep full retail price when demand outpaces supply. So you limit supply.

Last edited:
•••
I would guess easily over 3M worldwide. Facebook does not reveal numbers like you might think.
These co's like to sell out for the news factor. But we also have covid.
We don't know what was in production and not likely to find out till they want a stock boost.
It is easier to keep full retail price when demand outpaces supply. So you limit supply.

I think that's about right. And that is a breakthrough moment for VR if the case, given that the Oculus Go and first Oculus Quest probably haven't sold much more than 3 million in over 2 years combined.

•••
•••
I think that's about right. And that is a breakthrough moment for VR if the case, given that the Oculus Go and first Oculus Quest probably haven't sold much more than 3 million in over 2 years combined.
I could be wrong but I think last year we got numbers from oculus/facebook late in jan/early feb.

This is a very important moment. If the number are as high as I suspect, it signals developers that they have a market to develop to in a single format to boot.
How facebook deals with that in their formation of a 'platform' could twist it a bit.

You know I have always said that our names become important when we see the developers making the software stuff and the more of them, the better for us. That is what we have been waiting for.

But I want to see some competition and standards between manufacturers. Those are the next nails.
For when a dev can write one program for 2 or more models across two or more manufactures, that becomes a larger single market to dev for. They will put more quality time, money and effort into better stuff.

•••
Last edited:
•••
You had good foresight, but 10 years is a long time to hold. I still own ARhuds and ARhmds.

•••
I've let a tonne of 3D and holo names drop this year after holding them for nearly a decade. Would be annoying somewhat if it all takes off now, lol, although I kept my best names.

•••
I've let a tonne of 3D and holo names drop this year after holding them for nearly a decade. Would be annoying somewhat if it all takes off now, lol, although I kept my best names.
LOL
Its one of those dreaded things. You can't maintain a huge overhead forever. Something has to give.

I was going to write something like the following at the end of the year... but now is a good of time as any...

I normally vary my holdings. I was at 500 names for the third time. I have pulled back to well under 250.
While getting rid of the first 100 is not easy, it is also not real hard. But, takes a year or more as they come due.
Those 100 are not likely to have bids on drop. But if even one were to go on and make a sale headline, it still may not justify carrying the weight of the others for 2-3 years more.
Normally, you should be shedding 10% of your names every year, getting rid of the worst.
We all make bad decisions, or perhaps just had bad/incomplete info when making them.

I can only tell some of you that are likely going through the same tough times as everyone else.
Look ahead in your holdings, at least 2+ months. find the names you are likely to drop, try to sell them for $20-100. If they still do not sell, OH WELL, you made a decision that is correct for the time that you made it.
Have no guilt ! You will have survived to tell the story, and sell another day.

But... I did renew my better names up for 2-3 years. Some 5. .Probably save myself some future price increases as well. So even if times get harder yet, it is not so difficult.
And FYI, I am selling about 1 in 5 names I was going to drop in the 30-75 dollar range. Most of those sales were not in this niche but that made it a bit easier to do. I don't like taking funds from other ventures to support this. For some, it was a small profit and others recovery of half my investment. But better than a pure drop. It took me nearly 2 years to shrink.

I am just 'lucky' that my timing was spot on. No crystal ball required. Roll of the dice. No credit due.
Now, I'm in a position to buy again. A good place to be. Lucky me.

To those that are struggling right now, I would say IMHO that it will get worse before it gets better. So don't risk your better names by carrying dead weight. Sort'm and sell'm. It can be someone else's burden.
While the industry shows signs of moving, it's likely going to be a year for VR dev to begin to show itself and 2-3 years for AR in names demand. Something in between ?....pot luck.

Don't buy half the deck when you only need a poker hand. Greed is your enemy.
We get in these spots by misjudgement of how long it takes for them to fruit, and how broad the market demand may be.
Do what makes sense to you. I'm just pointing out what you may not see. Survival of the fittest.

•••
DNJ... Chatroom.com 67K I hold vrchatroms xrchatrooms xrchats vrchatz

There is nothing stopping that new owner from making VR/AR rooms with that name. But will they ?
Seems odd that sale at this point. Have to keep a eye on it.
One look at the current site and you will understand. Obviously, it makes money.
https://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

•••
Something else we should keep a eye on...
Verizon Bets on Virtual Reality With Entain Gambling Partnership

https://sports.yahoo.com/verizon-bets-virtual-reality-entain-115500913.html

Generally speaking, I don't like the idea of a co that controls more than 25% of internet users bandwidth being involved in gambling with same users. But it would advance the platform if they construct a viable biz model.
Cellco's and cable op's will be looking to diversify as their main biz turns into a mere internet pipe. So, we will see more of it. You just have to figure out how to capitalize on what they are and will be doing.
Good for our names ? ...YES !

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back