IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What does outbounding mean? Actively contacting prospective buyers? I have quite a few similar quality names that I don't really want to renew but I'd gladly shift for much less than $2k.
Better get on the horn and OUTBOUND....LOL
These boards are not the place to raise that kind of money. Drop list preform better right now. Funny how that works.

Well less than a week before the Oculus Quest goes on sale. I find it hard to get excited about the thought that the latest 'game changer' will finally bring VR to the masses, as we've had it so many times before already (GearVR, PlaystationVR, Windows MR, Oculus Go...). But hopefully this might really be something that does slowly get the ball rolling..

If you are looking at the hardware on the market to tell you when this is a thing, it won't.
But the total number in hardware ownership is a telling number. We are not close yet.
My hope still rides on these cheap stand alone's and better tethered units to push the ownership level.
There just is not enough audience to sell to on the consumer side.
While the overall number may look good, it is splintered in incompatibility issues.
So you really have splintered groups of compatibility. Standards needed.
Not enough to get developers excited on the software side. They do not want to write the same code 4-5 times and not end up with the program working the same for all..
It is possible that we do not find that glue of standards needed till the 3rd gen of products. Which has been the norm with most consumer tech..

I think those folks at Valve/Steam are setting the best example.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Would have liked the plural a bit better.
How much to renew the .io ?
Would love to have it, the plural is not available to reg.

•••
•••
VR pioneer Leap Motion reportedly sells to UltraHaptics for $30 million
https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/30/leap-motion-acquired-vr-virtual-reality-startup-ultrahaptics/

This is kinda a big deal even if it does not seem like it.
But others have done their own R&D on this type of tech, so, really, if they did not ink a deal soon with a major player, the valuation would likely have come down in the future. But they were the key player at one time. The value is in licensing their tech or develop your own.
Just some insight.

•••
•••
•••
•••
There is a reason they registered SamsungXR and added a tm for it with a nice little logo
And there is a reason the sun came up today.

Did you sell them the name? LOL There is a reason you could not have with or without a nice little logo.

Care to make a point ? There must be a reason you quoted me without actually saying anything ?

•••
And there is a reason the sun came up today.

Did you sell them the name? LOL There is a reason you could not have with or without a nice little logo.

Care to make a point ? There must be a reason you quoted me without actually saying anything ?
Pretty sure he's just making the connection between this announcement and Samsung's prior registration of SamsungXR...

•••
Elad is a strong proponent of domains built around the term “XR”, as am I. Many of my domains are XR.

There was some doubt cast in another thread with respect to Samsung’s XR trademark filings. One member suggested that the marks might not provide any utility to Samsung beyond a defensive move, but those who hold XR names tend to be optimistic that Samsung will indeed utilize an XR brand.

https://www.namepros.com/posts/7221934/

Elad surely meant only to express his optimism for XR branding in his reply. Best of luck to all, AR/VR/XR.

•••
Yea, I knew about the reg/TM last year and expected them to brand with it.

But that is about all in names that XR really works 'well' for is branding.
And you are not going to buy a bunch of TM names like googleXR so the branding playing field is huge to play and manipulate for the few start-ups that have no money to spend anyway. Perhaps in 5-8 years it will be better.
It is even a harder play for generics since you can't figure out if it is VR or AR as it is not really a separate tech, but a combination of them. So it remains to be seen how many will want to identify with what term and have the public understand what it is they are offering in a product or a company.
Company's will likely want to brand with it if they make both VR and AR products.
We have had many discussions on this, as we did with Mixed Reality/MR
Many heated discussions on definitions. You would have to read back in the thread.

There are some here who believe it was going to take over as the #1 term just as they did with MR.
And here we are all these years later and VR has not got a real foothold and you may have to explain what AR is, and Mixed Reality as we know it is a product of MS Windows (WMR).

My only advise on the matter anymore is to not think that any of this is going to make 'swift or broad moves' in any short period of time. Or that any term is going to win or loose anytime soon. You just have to know what they are good for.

•••
Pretty sure he's just making the connection between this announcement and Samsung's prior registration of SamsungXR...

He is just teasing cause he likes me so much.

An old pal.

•••
Elad is a strong proponent of domains built around the term “XR”, as am I. Many of my domains are XR.

There was some doubt cast in another thread with respect to Samsung’s XR trademark filings. One member suggested that the marks might not provide any utility to Samsung beyond a defensive move, but those who hold XR names tend to be optimistic that Samsung will indeed utilize an XR brand.

https://www.namepros.com/posts/7221934/

Elad surely meant only to express his optimism for XR branding in his reply. Best of luck to all, AR/VR/XR.

Yeah i still stand by that. Look at it this way, Apple (Samsungs main rivals) have a phone out called ‘iPhone XR’ – Can anyone really see within the next year Samsung branding around the whole ‘XR’ abbreviation for something else? It’s something I’ve never seen any major company do, It would be like Apple (Macintosh) branding around Windows (Microsoft), It just doesn’t make any sense from a business pov. Defensive move trademark fillings happen often though and when you look at when Samsung filled the trademark (1 to 2 week after Apple’s iPhone XR announcement) and how they’ve put every electronic keyword in there possible, it’s clear what this is.

I follow XR closely and excluding people who spam hashtags I’d say there’s only around 10 people (in the English speaking world) who use the term regularly on Twitter in context to VR/AR and 2 of those are domain investors, it seems more used in China but even then it’s not that big, domain sales have also dropped off lately too even between investors.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah i still stand by that. Look at it this way, Apple (Samsungs main rivals) have a phone out called ‘iPhone XR’ – Can anyone really see within the next year Samsung branding around the whole ‘XR’ abbreviation for something else? It’s something I’ve never seen any major company do, It would be like Apple (Macintosh) branding around Windows (Microsoft), It just doesn’t make any sense from a business pov. Defensive move trademark fillings happen often though and when you look at when Samsung filled the trademark (1 to 2 week after Apple’s iPhone XR announcement) and how they’ve put every electronic keyword in there possible, it’s clear what this is.

I follow XR closely and excluding people who spam hashtags I’d say there’s only around 10 people (in the English speaking world) who use the term regularly on Twitter in context to VR/AR and 2 of those are domain investors, it seems more used in China but even then it’s not that big, domain sales have also dropped off lately too even between investors.

http://www.samsungxr.com

?

Not sure how they have broken their link but this shows Samsung XR was reg'd with immersive tech in mind.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I've not seen that, let's see how much they stick with and promote it.

My point about social media and domain sales still stands though.

Yeah fair enough (y)

•••
•••
mmmm
3xr.com latest one 15k
If that is to mean anything to our niche, it has not been shown yet.
A look to the TM DB shows a recent application and a existing TM from 2005.
The 3xr TM application...
Downloadable three-dimensional (3D) images, graphics, models, and software displays and two-dimensional (2D) representations thereof, for use in web applications, and in virtual reality, augmented reality, and mixed reality applications; downloadable mobile applications for viewing and sharing three-dimensional (3D) images, graphics, models, and software displays and two-dimensional (2D) representations thereof; downloadable mobile applications for scanning objects and creating three-dimensional (3D) images, graphics, models, and software displays, and two-dimensional (2D) representations thereof

But you should not assume without looking. You will make bad decisions.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back