IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

NameSilo
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Dunno what folks think about the "app" TLD but I just picked up Extended-Reality.app

•••
So looking into the messages from Magic Leap upon their release of Magic Leap One (Creators Edition) the biggest surprise to me was the single Hashtag that was used on twitter in tech terms only relating to #spatialcomputing

Screenshot_20180809-080908_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looking deeper though it still appears they are still down with the mixed reality keyword because on their site and promotional emails sent out they talk about "Sharing Experiences in Mixed Reality".

Screenshot_20180809-081425_Samsung Internet.jpg

As someone previously said already in this thread it does seem like Ronny is all over this Spatial Computing keyword at the moment.

Do people think that Mixed Reality is still magic Leaps keyword of choice or is somehow Spatial / Spatial Computing keywords going to come into play with regards to Magic Leaps efforts and therefore potentially becoming into play with domain names?

Last edited:
•••
I don't know about spatial , but I do see a higher volume of traffic on my XR and Mixed Reality names since yesterday .

•••
I don't know about spatial , but I do see a higher volume of traffic on my XR and Mixed Reality names since yesterday .

Well I suppose the trending on Twitter and news pages would have had a impact on all realities because people were quoting all of the different acronyms and techs (y)

•••
Not sure about spatial computing either but I have only these 2 just in case:

SpatialComputing.de
Spatial-Computing.de

Unless FB, MS, Apple, and Google start using it, I'm not holding my breath... Still betting on AR and possibly XR as the leading consumer keywords.

It's really sad that ML is still using Mixed Reality in their marketing, because MS already ruined it, so it kind of lowers their cool factor by perceivingly following in MS's footsteps lol. Some of the press is still calling them AR. They already lack the pizzaz and excitement from the Dev community because they decided to be so mysterious and over hyped for so many years that it kind of backfired. The CEO Rony doesn't like to talk to tech press as well...so the company is icey cold with the very developers who are supposed to succeed their platform. Very sad and failed strategy, especially given that devs are already close with already established platforms that will be ML's competition. Rony should be fired from his own company.... Just my opinion...

Last edited:
•••
Well I suppose the trending on Twitter and news pages would have had a impact on all realities because people were quoting all of the different acronyms and techs (y)

Pretty big change ,I assume u r right .
It's good publicity all over

Last edited:
•••
Pretty big change ,I assume u r right .
It's good publicity all over

Yeah tbh most of the reviews that I have seen have said that this is the best version of AR/Mixed reality they have experienced, although it might not have blown most people away.

Yes magic leap have had ridiculous amounts of funding but they can only go as far as tech will currently allow them within a certain price range.

I think many thought magic leap was just going to be excuse after excuse, so props to them for actually delivering a dev version.

I just hope that they continue to improve the tech they got, and get some good material out of this creator's process.

I still think we can't 100% judge these hololens/magic leap headsets until we finally know what the public versions will eventually be like. That is still quite a way off.

Yeah I understand people will still be sceptical about Ronny and Magic Leap. I just hope they can eventually come up with some of the magic they have been promising.

Even if they don't, hopefully it will push some of their competitors to come up with good competition.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah tbh most of the reviews that I have seen have said that this is the best version of AR/Mixed reality they have experienced, although it might not have blown most people away.

Yes magic leap have had ridiculous amounts of funding but they can only go as far as tech will currently allow them within a certain price range.

I think many thought magic leap was just going to be excuse after excuse, so props to them for actually delivering a dev version.

I just hope that they continue to improve the tech they got, and get some good material out of this creator's process.

I still think we can't 100% judge these hololens/magic leap headsets until we finally know what the public versions will eventually be like. That is still quite a way off.

Yeah I understand people will still be sceptical about Ronny and Magic Leap. I just hope they can eventually come up with some of the magic they have been promising.

Even if they don't, hopefully it will push some of their competitors to come up with good competition.

Good points! I'd like to add that it's good to remember that the hardware is only part of the product. It's also about the ecosystem, including how many devs and companies want to code on their platform - how many apps and services there are and how many third party services are willing to api. It's really really really slow developing all that on the business end, which is why ML will have a major disadvantage to even the likes of Microsoft, never mind Google Apple and FB... Big major hill to climb, but they se to be in for the long fight...

•••
Good points! I'd like to add that it's good to remember that the hardware is only part of the product. It's also about the ecosystem, including how many devs and companies want to code on their platform - how many apps and services there are and how many third party services are willing to api. It's really really really slow developing all that on the business end, which is why ML will have a major disadvantage to even the likes of Microsoft, never mind Google Apple and FB... Big major hill to climb, but they se to be in for the long fight...

Yeah totally agree.

Magic Leap do need to come up with something special that is one thing for sure.

I am hoping he's got a few tricks up his sleeve. I do know in the past he was working with some big film companies and sports broadcasters.

Hopefully he's managed to secure something that might give them an advantage in a specific area/field.

To be able to secure the amount of funding they have I wouldn't be surprised if there is a few contracts already in place for future entertainment etc.

•••
Seems to me, I had mentioned the overwhelming interest in AR by Enterprise and general Biz and the fact that it was most of the makers 'target' at least initially many times. Much due to the fact of cost.
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...y/sorry-gamers-magic-leap-means-business.html

It's pretty hard to market a device that is over 1K to general consumers. And this is over 2K+.
So the soft dev's that get their hands on these will be cooking up apps for the 'likely buyer' and unfortunately, it does not look like there will be many games with that for some time. But I'm sure there will be some along with some home use apps. But at least it has begun. A starting point that should only get better with time.
I see the primary buyers using them for 'training' purposes same as Hololens.
In any case, this is still a few years from being a mass consumer item. The quality must go up and the price come down. Along with software developed for 'things-to-do' before mass consumer adoption.

•••
•••
•••
Wow, that’s a blast from the past :) Yeah i can see the parallels to AR.

Now we have some nice healthy competition hopefully we should see huge leaps in improvement.

Even though I love VR I’m so much more excited about AR.

The future is very bright for holders of AR domains.

•••
•••
This image was just released not long ago actually (without the "lies" 😏)

20180812_130006.jpg

Last edited:
•••
I’m shocked there’s so much negativity and impatience surrounding Magic Leap, it’s astounding.

Within 5 years we will be living in minimalist spaces surrounded by virtual assetts. I’ll save a fortune on Ikea furniture.

•••
•••
A few people are worried that Magic Leap won't have any games for a while but Ronny just confirmed a game which is coming out this fall which is the title in the link below:

https://www.magicleap.com/experiences/invaders

Show attachment 94986

Their fixation with steam punk robots is killing their first impression... Their inability to nail a good style and their bombastic ui/ux reminds me of Microsoft in that they seem to be lost in a baby boomer mindset incapable of nailing it the way younger people are looking for...no one gives a flying fuck about steam punk. For the love of God those investers should be scared shitless right now 😂

•••
Looks like support is rallying for Magic Leap One.

•••
Looks like support is rallying for Magic Leap One.

I hope so! I was really excited about this project. Would hate to see it (and all the investments) go to waste!

They recently hired some store designers, so they may be planning to have actual offline shops, possibly similar to Apple stores. I think it is a smart move...

•••
I hope so! I was really excited about this project. Would hate to see it (and all the investments) go to waste!

They recently hired some store designers, so they may be planning to have actual offline shops, possibly similar to Apple stores. I think it is a smart move...
Yep. I’m trying to stay realistic and not get too excited but I’m finding it hard. It ticks a lot of boxes for me and although it’s limited right now they have delivered. The next few months will be very interesting.

•••
Yep. I’m trying to stay realistic and not get too excited but I’m finding it hard. It ticks a lot of boxes for me and although it’s limited right now they have delivered. The next few months will be very interesting.
Well, a year from now, you will find it hard to find a major impact on names for this that was not going to happen anyway. But if one other or more players join the group, most especially if they have a platform to distribute digital goodies for it, it would be a game changer.
I have seen many take news that seems good for the tech field as good for names. Costly mistakes most often.

Keep your head because Magic Leap will unlikely need any of your names. (just for proper thinking)
This brings us back to what should be your principle thinking all along.
Who will need a name and when will that happen. Then you can determine what name might be needed.
Folks that dev software for ML or any AR product are the #1 target. Most start-ups have no budget starting out so that has a adverse play in the whole mix.

But the reality is, it's going to be a while before these are a consumer device with apps to be enjoyed by many, not to mention the issues of how many would jump into this at the entry level pricing just slows that whole process down.
This is why I give Apple 2 legs up on the competition for their built in distribution and fact that they probably will make theirs work with the phone you have already. Reducing the cost to a end user. Who makes the best is not always who dominates the market.
But first we must see major competition to make this hum along.

With the exception on investor over-speculation,
I still don't see any major need for names for 'AR Glasses' products for at least 2 years and that assumes that MS will release Hololens2 within a year. But general AR names are still growing.
So it's probably a good time to pick-up branding AR names that " fit a concept ".
I suspect we will see quite a few hit the drop lists over the next 2 years from those that do not understand these timings and infrastructure build-out. A opportunity for those that do.

Keep your head on straight and keep watching for opportunities.
...just one veteran investors perspective ! I'm sure you will hear others.

•••
Back