Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the thing is though that Virtual Reality is seen as being totally immersed. When objects interact with the real world and it's surroundings that is something else which is why more terminology is needed than VR.

Well that’s AR isn’t it? I know some (like Apple) see virtual objects interacting the real world (AR) as the end goal, I’ve no problem with that, a fully immersed virtual world (holodeck/matrix) is what i personally see as the end goal (VR) or should i say what excites me most about the potential of virtual tech. No problem what people prefer and i agree both types of tech need separate definitions.

What i don’t understand is all this XR stuff, this guy probably sums up my own feelings towards XR best:-

https://virtualrealitypop.com/my-beef-with-xr-856303aeec15

•••
Well that’s AR isn’t it? I know some (like Apple) see virtual objects interacting the real world (AR) as the end goal, I’ve no problem with that, a fully immersed virtual world (holodeck/matrix) is what i personally see as the end goal (VR) or should i say what excites me most about the potential of virtual tech. No problem what people prefer and i agree both types of tech need separate definitions.

What i don’t understand is all this XR stuff, this guy probably sums up my own feelings towards XR best:-

https://virtualrealitypop.com/my-beef-with-xr-856303aeec15

As t least he admitted he lost :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

•••
•••
Acquired VR / Computing / COM before couple of weeks.

•••
•••
SOLD

Fashion (AR) .com $5,000

Just decided to accept the offer outright. Probably could of got more if I countered but happy with the sale.

Gone to a end user who is launching a augmented reality product.

Also SOLD

XR Learning (.com)

Can't disclose the exact amount but was $x,xxx range.
Wow awesome result mate great sale for a great guy 👊

•••
SOLD

Fashion (AR) .com $5,000

Just decided to accept the offer outright. Probably could of got more if I countered but happy with the sale.

Also SOLD

XR Learning (.com)

Great sales @NamePov - Congrats on closing your deal! (y)

•••
SOLD

Fashion (AR) .com $5,000

Also SOLD

XR Learning (.com)

Good sales mate, well done

•••
@NamePov - Great Sales steak you have going in the early market !

Since many still have misconceptions about 'keywords'
I'll put a spin on your sale.
The main keyword here was 'fashion', AR is a subniche

Contrary to what everyone thought hey?
There is no center to the universe ! .

Something to chew on !

•••
Magic Leap details what its mixed reality OS will look like
https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/27/m...ixed-reality-operating-system-will-look-like/
GettingStarted_UsingLuminOS_MultiApps-e1532713484177.png

GettingStarted_UsingLuminOS_LaunchingAnApp__4_.png

GettingStarted_UsingLuminOS_AppInitialScreen.png

Framework_SoftwareEnvironment_Landscape_Example__1_.png

Framework_SoftwareEnvironment_Immersive_Example.jpg

InteractionModel_InputMethods_Gesture_Example_Feedback__1_.gif

•••
•••
xr.net 19,532 USD 2018-07-28 NameJet
Not my sale.

•••
•••
Magic Leap One’s field of view leak signals another AR disappointment

If the above info proves to be true, Magic Leap will be premiering a new ML1 product in 2019, with a very limited FOV, just as MS introduces a hot new HoloLens "2" with a purported double-sized FOV... IMHO, competitive advantage seems to leaning in Microsoft's favor... (So hang onto those "Holo" names! :xf.wink:)

•••
•••
Magic Leap One’s field of view leak signals another AR disappointment

If the above info proves to be true, Magic Leap will be premiering a new ML1 product in 2019, with a very limited FOV, just as MS introduces a hot new HoloLens "2" with a purported double-sized FOV... IMHO, competitive advantage seems to leaning in Microsoft's favor... (So hang onto those "Holo" names! :xf.wink:)
Point well taken and stated by myself many times.
Don't think that Apple and MS don't have much better tech than they have been showing you. For the same reasons, they can not produce it with low heat, high contrast in ambient light, small size "AT A COST THAT IS ATTRACTIVE".
The major difference is that they (MS,Apple & Others) are not teasing you with things that they 'hope to achieve' but what they are on track to deliver. (eliminating disappointments) And for Apple, it will always be packaged in a integrated way to monetize content in some way. A platform that they do not really have to develop since the infrastructure is in place now.
Think of the dev time and money saved with that fact alone.Mainly the development time itself is a major factor.
Looking at Apple stock as of late, I think you are seeing investors wake-up to that set of facts.
That 'out of the gate expectation of profitability' will likely change the quality of the first offering when we see that.
But still, the skinny is not the tech you have, but the tech you can deliver at a attractive price.
While I like and have hopes for all involved, I see the advantage is clearly Apple's. It just remains to be seen how they take advantage of it.

•••
This is likely they way VR will be in your face in the 'nearest term'
Seen it coming many years ago but I don't see a wide demand for names for it.
But there will be some.
I even went so far as to start a investment survey for direct investment a few years ago. But those that dominate the Movie and other franchises will likely dominate quickly. Even those in regional/national Mall Property Management looking to fill those EMPTY spaces. Just like the arcade days of the 80's.

http://tcbmag.com/opinion/ali-talks/columns/virtual-reality-becomes-new-mall-reality

vrGameRooms LifeSizedGames VRgamePODs

•••
XHolographic in King

Now in my pocket

•••
•••

@Elad n keep in mind that ML1 is 45% bigger than Hololens "1"... But ML will probably be competing against Hololens "2" shortly after it finally hits the shelves... (A Hololens "2" that is rumored to have double the FOV of the original Hololens... :xf.wink:)

Microsoft patent hints HoloLens 2 could pack double the field of view

•••
•••
@Elad n keep in mind that ML1 is 45% bigger than Hololens "1"... But ML will probably be competing against Hololens "2" shortly after it finally hits the shelves... (A Hololens "2" that is rumored to have double the FOV of the original Hololens... :xf.wink:)

Microsoft patent hints HoloLens 2 could pack double the field of view
The original report of MS Hololens '2' having double the FOV is from last year.
What they are doing, is stitching 2 display units in sync.
The ML claim to be 45% larger display is of the original Hololens comparing. When they first made that announcement, I think the MS announcement was around the same time.

They all still have issues of display in ambient 'outdoor' light. ML has at least built-in a block of light from sides (makes them more of a swimming goggle) but we have not seen what the H2 has up it's sleeve.
So, for now, you still need to use them in a controlled lighting environment for 'full' enjoyment..
It remains to be seen if you fix the outdoor lighting issue, how well will they work in a dark room? will you trip on the coffee table....LOL....

I have a 'hunch' that the ML1 might be temperamental to the mounting position on your face. ie loosing fov if not in the exact correct position on your nose/face that you calibrate it to.
All in all, these are not going to be what everyone hopes and had imagined 'on the first iteration anyway'.

I would be happy if something were released, even given the inadequacies. Because next to capability, it is the applications out there in the real world that drive sales. You can't dev many apps when there is no hardware.
We may be on 3rd gen VR hardware before a viable product is out there....2020 ? Hope I'm wrong on that.

•••
The original report of MS Hololens '2' having double the FOV is from last year.
What they are doing, is stitching 2 display units in sync.
The ML claim to be 45% larger display is of the original Hololens comparing. When they first made that announcement, I think the MS announcement was around the same time.

They all still have issues of display in ambient 'outdoor' light. ML has at least built-in a block of light from sides (makes them more of a swimming goggle) but we have not seen what the H2 has up it's sleeve.
So, for now, you still need to use them in a controlled lighting environment for 'full' enjoyment..
It remains to be seen if you fix the outdoor lighting issue, how well will they work in a dark room? will you trip on the coffee table....LOL....

I have a 'hunch' that the ML1 might be temperamental to the mounting position on your face. ie loosing fov if not in the exact correct position on your nose/face that you calibrate it to.
All in all, these are not going to be what everyone hopes and had imagined 'on the first iteration anyway'.

I would be happy if something were released, even given the inadequacies. Because next to capability, it is the applications out there in the real world that drive sales. You can't dev many apps when there is no hardware.
We may be on 3rd gen VR hardware before a viable product is out there....2020 ? Hope I'm wrong on that.

Tbh I would rather wait until these companies come out with something that is going to make a great impression.

I would be happy if VR kept improving until the Magic Leap/Microsoft tech is at a stage to wow most people.

Would be a very bad move if this tech comes out and underwhelmed the majority.

I think you are right, these companies do have a lot more work to do, hope we are wrong but got a feeling the tech is still a few years away from being an acceptable standard.

Last edited:
•••
Tbh I would rather wait until these companies come out with something that is going to make a great impression.

I would be happy if VR kept improving until the Magic Leap/Microsoft tech is at a stage to wow most people.

Would be a very bad move if this tech comes out and underwhelmed the majority.

I think you are right, these companies do have a lot more work to do, hope we are wrong but got a feeling the tech is still a few years away from being an acceptable standard.
I generally would agree on your thinking on that but remind you what the DK1 did for VR.
Think of the advancements it brought in the form of software dev.
And a DK1 has not been supported for over 2 years now.

I guess we have the Hololens1 to fill that for AR at the moment. No longer available ! -Co$t !
But if ML is that far from center field, they would have a longer row to hoe to build-out whats needed to deliver proprietary software.. You need something in a dev's hands NOW! I'm sure they would like to make that happen, but they are not that far along with it yet.

You need dev's to have it in the order of 8 - 16 months before a consumer release.
Advantage MS even if their product ends up to be inferior .
Does that change anyone's thinking on how soon this might happen ?

I think the first consumer product for AR will be the Hololens 2 but one never knows what exactly Apple is up to now do they ? I doubt very much they want to be first anyway. But they are the 'elephant in the room'.

And then there has been all kinds of dev in AR from smartphones that everyone seems to have forgotten about because they are not out there making claims to entice investors. So don't forget about that either
Something may spring up from Samsung or HTC.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back