IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes. But some companies are active / aggresive with defending trademarks and some not. Microsoft is aggresive and when i end user searched for holo and they see a active word trademark from a product and service provided by Microsoft there is a good change they will not go for holo in their name. But this is a forum and we have not all to agree.

But they haven't gone after 'Beagle Media Ltd' for trademarking their trademark?
https://companycheck.co.uk/company/07719599/BEAGLE-MEDIA-LTD/companies-house-data

•••
Yes. But some companies are active / aggresive with defending trademarks and some not. Microsoft is aggresive and when a end user is searching for holo and they see a active word trademark from a product and service provided by Microsoft there is a good change they will not go for holo in their name. But this is a forum and we have not all to agree.

No MS won't be active on the term Holo they will be active on the word(s) HoloLens.

Last edited:
•••
You pays your money and you takes your choice base on how well you educate yourself.
Don't buy VR names you think comes with a liability.
But educate yourself on it. You will reap reward for it.
TM is one of the most important aspects of domaining.
I know I have said that more than a dozen times here. And will not get in the mud on the issue again.

•••
Microsoft has not applied for a trademark on the word Holo. This is because 1/ they know they couldn't successfully trademark a term already in widespread usage and 2/ probably because trying to stop the usage of the term Holo in relation to VR/AR/MR/Holographic would be counter productive to the aim of establishing the HoloLens (and Windows Holographic) as the leading brand in these areas.

For example, I own HoloChat.net Now perhaps Microsoft might choose to name their HoloLens messenger or conferencing application 'Holo Chat' and would of course trademark that. A long shot, but possible. I have over 100 holo names and it's unlikely one let alone all would be affected by trademarks. And if, say, Microsoft trademarked 'HoloChat', all it would mean is that one of my domains lost all value whilst the other 99 shot up in value. Microsoft can't and won't trademark the word Holo, and nor has 'Beagle Media' trademarked the word Holo.

http://domaingang.com/domain-news/t...holo-microsoft-planned-ahead-hololens-domain/

Last edited:
•••
The development use of holo will be welcomed with open arms in order to help the hololens brand imo.

•••
No MS won't be active on the term Holo they will be active on the word(s) HoloLens.
Exactly. It's more likely they will encourage the use of the term Holo (except in directly competing products, for example another company calling their mixed reality glasses 'HoloSpecs' or such like).

•••
Still i see VR/AR/MR more usable for a end user. Time will tell but i am not interested in holo domains because of the word trademark and Microsoft combination (Microsoft and UDRP WIPO cases) I would not touch it but everyone is free to invest and sometimes taking some risk can be rewarding.
'Nobody here' was promoting HOLO names. Including myself. I'm not sure what gave you that idea.

•••
Exactly. It's more likely they will encourage the use of the term Holo (except in directly competing products, for example another company calling their mixed reality glasses 'HoloSpecs' or such like).

hmm now that's interesting because they outline physical products like optics, spectacles etc, if a company uses holospecs and make a product like hololens this could create TM issues I'm thinking.

•••
hmm now that's interesting because they outline physical products like optics, spectacles etc, if a company uses holospecs and make a product like hololens this could create TM issues I'm thinking.

Yes, of course, that's the point I was trying to make. That would be a clear case of trademark infringement. So anyone who has registered HoloGlasses.com or HoloSpecs.com should be concerned that their names have little value due to TM fears. The other 99.999% of Holo domainers shouldn't.

•••
I appreciate your info and i agree with most.

But i have a hard time believing a trademarked word HOLO is attractive for a end user. (difficult to sell)
Have you ever watched star wars?

•••
I was not aiming for a discussion about holo domains in the VR thread. I know a lot of users have holo names and i don't want to make people upset. I did say with my last post it was my personal opinion and have not stated as a fact. I like also to take some risks and a "no guts, no glory" approach with domaining.

I wish all the best for holo name investors and let's go back ontopic from here on.

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
Chill guys!

They are using all terms like VR / AR/ MR/ Holo everyting!!
And they are terming MixedReality combining all these!!

MR is coming strong...but VR will never die!

Cheers!

•••
I can't see how a hologram can be confused with the others (my 2 cents)

•••
Polygons / Pixels are building blocks of VR / AR world

likewise Voxels / Holograms are the Bricks / Building Blocks of MR.

In MagicLeap, they say photonic atoms (Lightfield) are the builder of MR

So, VR / AR / MR are the worlds bulit by Polygons/Pixels/Voxels/Lightfields/Holograms

Companies have plans to call their hardware/tools/applications combining with VR/AR/MR going forward.

Cheers!

•••
Polygons / Pixels are building blocks of VR / AR world

likewise Voxels / Holograms are the Bricks / Building Blocks of MR.

In MagicLeap, they say photonic atoms (Lightfield) are the builder of MR

So, VR / AR / MR are the worlds bulit by Polygons/Pixels/Voxels/Lightfields/Holograms

Companies have plans to call their hardware/tools/applications combining with VR/AR/MR going forward.

Cheers!

Voxels has nothing to do with current MR. Actually holograms also nothing to do with it but, Microsoft advertising policy made that.

•••
Voxels has nothing to do with current MR. Actually holograms also nothing to do with it but, Microsoft advertising policy made that.

It doesn't really matters :)
Those technology are coming into mainstream soon, good luck!

•••
I was not aiming for a discussion about holo domains in the VR thread. I know a lot of users have holo names and i don't want to make people upset. I did say with my last post it was my personal opinion and have not stated as a fact. I like also to take some risks and a "no guts, no glory" approach with domaining.

I wish all the best for holo name investors and let's go back ontopic from here on.

Thanks.

You stated as a fact that the word Holo was now trademarked by a small unheard of company in the UK, and that this would render the value of holo names meaningless in the eyes of end users. Did you expect people here who have invested thousands in holo names to just reply - 'oh...cool'.??

You stated an incorrect (and absurd) 'fact'. Then you followed it up with the false and contradictory claim that Microsoft had trademarked the word Holo (which naturally led to some confusion as to how a multi-billion company had allowed a small company in Berkshire to trademark their own trademark). Nobody has trademarked the word holo, and nor could they.

Last edited:
•••
I would say that VR, Holo, and AR are certain to be big and have mainstay value for years or decades. VR is obviously ahead at the moment in terms of domain sales, maybe simply due to the fact that a number of VR headsets are already on the market. Even with VR most of the sales reported thus far have still been resellers as far as we know.

I see Holo as having massive potential. You would have to clutch at the HoloLens trademark issue not to accept this, but as discussed above, there is no possible trademark issue occuring with the Holo word itself.

AR is likely to be huge as well as we've seen with the Pokeman. Also the HoloLens and such like are still being described in much of the media (not by Microsoft but by the majority of journalists) as AR rather than mixed reality. But it could go the other way and even genuine AR could end up described as MR (or something else). So the future value of AR and MR isn't quite so certain in my opinion.

And maybe all these technologies will be given a broad name which might just be VR, Holo, Virtual, even virtuality or anyone of dozens of other candidates.

I can see in a few years all headsets being capable of vr or mr. You will likely be able to simply gesture control the level of background from real to 100% immersive just like turning down the brightness of a tv set. And when you can move around in VR (I mean physically in the real word as with the HTC Vive) most intelligent VR will incorporate some real world meshing even if only to avoid the wearer crashing in to things :

•••
I would say that VR, Holo, and AR are certain to be big and have mainstay value for years or decades. VR is obviously ahead at the moment in terms of domain sales, maybe simply due to the fact that a number of VR headsets are already on the market. Even with VR most of the sales reported thus far have still been resellers as far as we know.

I see Holo as having massive potential. You would have to clutch at the HoloLens trademark issue not to accept this, but as discussed above, there is no possible trademark issue occuring with the Holo word itself.

AR is likely to be huge as well as we've seen with the Pokeman. Also the HoloLens and such like are still being described in much of the media (not by Microsoft but by the majority of journalists) as AR rather than mixed reality. But it could go the other way and even genuine AR could end up described as MR (or something else). So the future value of AR and MR isn't quite so certain in my opinion.

And maybe all these technologies will be given a broad name which might just be VR, Holo, Virtual, even virtuality or anyone of dozens of other candidates.

I can see in a few years all headsets being capable of vr or mr. You will likely be able to simply gesture control the level of background from real to 100% immersive just like turning down the brightness of a tv set. And when you can move around in VR (I mean physically in the real word as with the HTC Vive) most intelligent VR will incorporate some real world meshing even if only to avoid the wearer crashing in to things :

What i like about MR is that it represents the spectrum and most people dont really a understand it yet.

Microsoft will bring holographic 'mixed reality' to every Windows 10 PC
http://www.techconnect.com/article/...hic-mixed-reality-to-every-windows-10-pc.html

"it's part of a push to let more people use what Microsoft calls mixed reality -- either bringing physical objects into virtual reality or overlaying digital objects on the physical world."

•••
•••
I notice a lot of companies making VR headsets like to call their product and tech something different to stand out from the crowd, Intel have used the term 'Merged Reality' for their new headset.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/16/12503948/intel-project-allow-vr-headset-cordless-mixed-reality

I'm not sure how far that term will go, but a few months ago, i registered:-

MergingReality dot com (taken in .co.uk and .uk)
MergingRealities dot com (taken in .net)

Had those in a list i was considering selling in bulk, but think i will now hang on to them, could be solid investments.

Last edited:
•••
I notice a lot of companies making VR headsets like to call their product and tech something different to stand out from the crowd, Intel have used the term 'Merged Reality' for their new headset.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/16/12503948/intel-project-allow-vr-headset-cordless-mixed-reality

I'm sure how far that term will go, but a few months ago, i registered:-

Had those in a list i was considering selling in bulk, but think i will now hang on to them, could be solid investments.

I'm sure how far that term will go, but a few months ago, i registered:-

Dunno about this domain in particular but the term wont hold like many others.
Its VR /AR / MR (mixed)

Now, if apple decides to play a bit and use merged as well then it's a different ball game lol but it wont happen with this name.

•••
Dunno about this domain in particular but the term wont hold like many others.
Its VR /AR / MR (mixed)

Now, if apple decides to play a bit and use merged as well then it's a different ball game lol but it wont happen with this name.

Intel are a big fish, as big if not bigger than HTC who make Vive, but I agree it's too confusing. Still the person who owns mergedreality should be jumping with joy right now.

Last edited:
•••
I agree it's too confusing. Still the person who owns mergedreality should be jumping with joy right now.

Or having tons of headaches..
To sell now? To hold?
Might be worth 0 soon

•••
Or having tons of headaches..
To sell now? To hold?
Might be worth 0 soon

Mate, even if ‘Hyper Reality’ or ‘Merged Reality’ doesn’t become a thing, those domains won’t be worth zero.

A multi-billion $ globally known company has just used the term ‘Merged Reality’ to describe their tech, it will remain on search results forever, it’s a domaineers dream right there and why people are registering terms like ‘holo’ ‘avr’ etc hoping this will happen.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back