IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Intel’s E3 conference was more about new partnerships more so than actual developments in tech.

I think they are still behind the term though, i keep track of whats happening regularly and a Intel representative did this conference a couple weeks ago:-

I will say why Intel's tech is unique and probably named correctly.
It is both AR and VR but not Mixed.
As I have stated before, and perhaps many do not understand it is MR is completely computer generated and real world objects are "represented" in a cgi graphic. So it may or may not look the same in the real world but is dimensionally correct.
The problem with this is computing power required to do it.
We are not even close yet.
But what Intel is doing may be the closest you will get to it for a while.
There is a lot more computer code dev to do with this than VR by far.

Intel has to move forward with this or loose the next round of chip-making to Qualcomm.
Software, not hardware will determine that, and it will come down to how much power is delivered to fill that void of demand from the devices. So Intel thinks it can win that game and so they push the envelope.
Intel has all but given up to Qualcomm in mobile, but these free standing HMD's are a new market.

Just because many devices may present a lot of 'WOW', do not make them something they are not.
Keep to the fundamentals.

•••
I always thought to search for exact matches you type in keywords without any spaces:-

Ie:- AugmentedReality - Which brings up 27,000,000
MixedReality - 510,000 (right now), when i looked a few weeks ago though it was 3 million.

When you search two words without the quotation marks you'll get web pages about many things not related to to the exact phrase. For example mixed reality without quotes will give you a page where someone could say "I have mixed feelings about the reality war". When you use quotation marks you *only* get results with the exact phrase "mixed reality". Hope this helps.

•••
Rony Abovitz still officially refers to the tech as "Mixed Reality Lightfield".

Just last week he even made a post about spacial computing, which he's spoken about in the past a lot. He then said in his next post "we at Magic Leap are focused deeply on our Mixed Reality Lightfield.

He's not gone off the mixed reality term and he still refers to their platform being MXRL which they own the trademark for:

Show attachment 61382

He clearly spoke against calling ML mixed reality in the video and because he was speaking to students (consumers, not developers) I'd assume that means a lot about what terms they'd use in marketing. He really shot down MR as a term in the video. I doubt they will even mention a "reality" when they marketing from the way he's talking lol. mrxl is definitely not a consumer term...

•••
He clearly spoke against calling ML mixed reality in the video and because he was speaking to students (consumers, not developers) I'd assume that means a lot about what terms they'd use in marketing. He really shot down MR as a term in the video. I doubt they will even mention a "reality" when they marketing from the way he's talking lol. mrxl is definitely not a consumer term...

Yeah I was not saying MXRL was a consumer term that is the trademark referring to Magic Leaps studio.

Rony refers to Mixed Reality as "MR" in the same way that Alex Kipman of Microsoft does.

Obviously he did this talk in this way for a reason. Guess it's a case of wait and see but he still is defo using the mixed reality term in posts he's making.

Their website still associates itself with the mixed reality term as well which as had a recent 2017 content update:

Screenshot_20170615-011511.png

Last edited:
•••
When you search two words without the quotation marks you'll get web pages about many things not related to to the exact phrase. For example mixed reality without quotes will give you a page where someone could say "I have mixed feelings about the reality war". When you use quotation marks you *only* get results with the exact phrase "mixed reality". Hope this helps.

If you leave a space like ie:-

'Mixed Reality' then yeah it will also search for results as per your example ("I have mixed feelings about the reality war")

But if you type 'MixedReality' (no space) then it will only find exact matches - That's the way I've always done things anyway finding exact matches on Google.

•••
I will say why Intel's tech is unique and probably named correctly.
It is both AR and VR but not Mixed.

Well *fingers crossed* it takes off, if their tech is unique and makes people buy it then they have a right to name the tech.

Be interesting what the "unnamed partners" who's making a headset based on Project Alloy call the tech, again *fingers crossed* for everyone who's invested in Merged Reality domains they call it a Merged Reality device.

•••
If you leave a space like ie:-

'Mixed Reality' then yeah it will also search for results as per your example ("I have mixed feelings about the reality war")

But if you type 'MixedReality' (no space) then it will only find exact matches - That's the way I've always done things anyway finding exact matches on Google.

That's not a proper way to find the results of the exact phrase, especially if you have more than 2 words. Putting the words together will also pull results of the words without spaces, like in hash tags. It's not how Google search was meant to work. Use quotation marks to find the exact match of words in the exact order that you typed them.

For example searching fournewdogs will pull results that don't have that exact phrase, but searching "Four new dogs" in quotation marks will.

Hope this helps...

•••
•••
•••
Registered
  • VRVC.com.au (Virtual Reality Venture Capital)
Cheers
Corey

•••
360 Video of Magic Leap at eMerge Americas 2017 in Miami

Magic Leap will be "priced for mass consuming" that's what I wanted to hear.

•••

It does say 474,000 now but did say 7,720,000 last night, I’ll type it in a few times today and if it says it again I’ll be sure to take a screenshot.

But what’s it all matter anyway? You made your feelings clear on Mixed Reality a few days ago and you’ve tried to start it all back up again. I’m not Mixed Reality’s biggest fan, but at end of the day I’m not close-minded/short sighted to see the term still has a lot of backing and is used regularly in news articles/social media therefore still an active term.

So you calling the term ‘dead’ along with things like ‘RIP’ comes across as though your just looking for a reaction and just being a dick, end of the day people on here have spent a lot of Mixed Reality and MR domains, even if you don’t believe in it, be at least respectful about it.

You’ve spent a lot on WebVR+Keyword names, i don’t believe in that either personally, but wouldn’t try to shove my opinions down anyone’s throat as though it’s fact or ‘gloat’ how people here have wasted their money on WebVR names like you are doing with Mixed Reality.

•••
It does say 474,000 now but did say 7,720,000 last night, I’ll type it in a few times today and if it says it again I’ll be sure to take a screenshot.

But what’s it all matter anyway? You made your feelings clear on Mixed Reality a few days ago and you’ve tried to start it all back up again. I’m not Mixed Reality’s biggest fan, but at end of the day I’m not close-minded/short sighted to see the term still has a lot of backing and is used regularly in news articles/social media therefore still an active term.

So you calling the term ‘dead’ along with things like ‘RIP’ comes across as though your just looking for a reaction and just being a dick, end of the day people on here have spent a lot of Mixed Reality and MR domains, even if you don’t believe in it, be at least respectful about it.

You’ve spent a lot on WebVR+Keyword names, i don’t believe in that either personally, but wouldn’t try to shove my opinions down anyone’s throat as though it’s fact or ‘gloat’ how people here have wasted their money on WebVR names like you are doing with Mixed Reality.

Come on now lol.... You know I wasn't the first to start this convo a ML not being crazy about MR as a term for their product anymore. I joined the convo with something to add and now you want to silence me. I mentioned a new, relevant point. Get over it.

P. S. Less results in Google mean something. I should not have to explain that...

Last edited:
•••
Come on now lol.... You know I wasn't the first to start this convo a ML not being crazy about MR as a term anymore. I joined the convo with something to add and now you want to silence me. I mentioned a new, relevant point. Get over it.

P. S. Less results in Google mean something. I should not have to explain that...

Also I am more than realistic about WebVR and realize that I may not make a dime back on my WebVR investments. WebVR is very new. Technologies change fast. I very well could have lost a significant amount of money and I've said this from day one. When people told me I was wasting my money I presented arguments that I thought were fair reasons to take the risk. I never tried to silence my opposition the way you are attempting to silence me when I had a new point to make about why I don't think MR is going to survive as a term worth investing in.

If I'm wrong I'll be right here to own it like a man, 5-6 years from now...

Last edited:
•••
Also I am more than realistic about WebVR and realize that I may not make a dime back on my WebVR investments. WebVR is very new. Technologies change fast. I very well could have lost a significant amount of money and I've said this from day one. When people told me I was wasting my money I presented arguments that I thought were fair reasons to take the risk. I never tried to silence my opposition the way you are attempting to silence me when I had a new point to make about why I don't think MR is going to survive as a term worth investing in.

If I'm wrong I'll be right here to own it like a man, 5-6 years from now...

So Mixed Reality and MR are basically dead.. Hmmm, i guess its only those MS oldies using this term.
Nothing good will come out of them..
And magic leap are staying away like fire because it's all mixed up..
Not to mention Amazon and others..
Yea i hardly see it being used.
I wonder if MixedReality.com can be sold for mid xxxx or so .. I guess not
RIP.

•••
•••
So Mixed Reality and MR are basically dead.. Hmmm, i guess its only those MS oldies using this term.
Nothing good will come out of them..
And magic leap are staying away like fire because it's all mixed up..
Not to mention Amazon and others..
Yea i hardly see it being used.
I wonder if MixedReality.com can be sold for mid xxxx or so .. I guess not
RIP.

It could sell for 100k if that's what the buyer is willing to pay, but he or she will need to shell out an additional shit load of advertising trying to:

1) promote exactly what MR is and why it matters in the cope of all the other similar competitors. .

2) why it's different and better than AR (even though other MR products and services will be labeled AR)

3) bring general awareness to the lonely category with only one major corporation persistently pushing it (Microsoft).

The cost of using the domain is more than the value of the domain. But ballsy MS might buy it.

Remember when Microsoft decided to do that stupid Metro Live Tiles design for Windows Phone when Apple and Google continued to use the familiar icon on a desktop interface for iPhone and Android? Their persistent arrogance isolated Windows Phone and the rest is history. They will be hurting themselves in a similar way if they continue to isolate their products as a subcategory on their own, by not benefitting from the free advertising made by other companies promoting and making cool the same or very similar technology under a more popular name. Apple had something revolutionary enough to claim a new category of smart phone. MS doesn't have anything that revolutionarily different to justify their own category from a standpoint of lack of consumer awareness.

If you don't have MIXED REALITY DOT COM you may have trouble selling your MR names after the MR hype has faded as a result of Apple AR and Google AR/Tango (INCLUDING Samsung, and the dozen or so other Android based manufacturers) over shadowing it.

•••
It could sell for 100k if that's what the buyer is willing to pay, but he or she will need to shell out an additional sh*t load of advertising trying to:

1) promote exactly what MR is and why it matters in the cope of all the other similar competitors. .

2) why it's different and better than AR (even though other MR products and services will be labeled AR)

3) bring general awareness to the lonely category with only one major corporation persistently pushing it (Microsoft).

The cost of using the domain is more than the value of the domain. But ballsy MS might buy it.

Remember when Microsoft decided to do that stupid Metro Live Tiles design for Windows Phone when Apple and Google continued to use the familiar icon on a desktop interface for iPhone and Android? Their persistent arrogance isolated Windows Phone and the rest is history. They will be hurting themselves in a similar way if they continue to isolate their products as a subcategory on their own, by not benefitting from the free advertising made by other companies promoting and making cool the same or very similar technology under a more popular name. Apple had something revolutionary enough to claim a new category of smart phone. MS doesn't have anything that revolutionarily different to justify their own category from a standpoint of lack of consumer awareness.

If you don't have MIXED REALITY DOT COM you may have trouble selling your MR names after the MR hype has faded as a result of Apple AR and Google AR/Tango (INCLUDING Samsung, and the dozen or so other Android based manufacturers) over shadowing it.

There was never any MR hype. We are not in a post mixed reality hype we are just starting.

Basically i like whats happening right now, i feel like i can pick any candy i want :)

I assume the big name was sold to a big wolf already dollar dollar bill yea.

Last edited:
•••
When we get on our Windows machines we go straight to Google Chrome, Gmail and Google search. The only windows application I use other than the OS itself is the task manager when I need to force shut down on the piece of shit. Do you think anyone is going to care about a Windows based "MR" headset? Be honest. Talk about collecting dust on the shelf!

•••
Research is the key :) btw ive started collecting XR names now in edition to my MR names ;)

•••
There was never any MR hype. We are not in a post mixed reality hype we are just starting.

Basically i like whats happening right now, i feel like i can pick any candy i want :)

And big name was sold to a big wolf already dollar dollar bill yea.
The hype is with domainers and team Microsoft. It used to be Magic Leap that lead the hype but it's not looking that way right now. They may use the term in the future, I could be wrong but it doesn't look that way ager seeing that video.

I've been sucked into the hype before. You've been the leading spokesman literally promoting MR on this site like an evangelist lol. That's cool brother... If I'm wrong you cash in and have the last laugh. These are just my arguments. I'm here to discuss and that's what I'm doing...

•••
I've noticed. XR has 10x more potential than MR in my humble opinion...

•••
I've noticed. XR has 10x more potential than MR in my humble opinion...

I dont mind if either will take it.
If XR will work and MR wont i wont be complaining i can assure you that as i managed to get everything i wanted already.
Im not promoting anything because i dont sell to domainers.. I did get offers for my premium names in MR in xxxx ranges but it's not the time.
XR and MR got potential but its still early.
I know some stuff i prefer not to talk about that make the chances higher then i previously thought(on both terms) but its really early and anything can change
And of course i can be wrong!
My advice as always is to diversify and keep it small (low to mid xxx folio) and with best keywords you can get.

•••
I dont mind if either will take it.
If XR will work and MR wont i wont be complaining i can assure you that as i managed to get everything i wanted already.
Im not promoting anything because i dont sell to domainers.. I did get offers for my premium names in MR in xxxx ranges but it's not the time.
XR and MR got potential but its still early.
I know some stuff i prefer not to talk about that make the chances higher then i previously thought(on both terms) but its really early and anything can change
And of course i can be wrong!
My advice as always is to diversify and keep it small (low to mid xxx folio) and with best keywords you can get.

XR is cool man. It's been growing on me after reading some discussions about it elsewhere. I think it has potential for SOME use cases...not all. I wouldn't go brandable with it...

Last edited:
•••
XR is cool man. It's been growing on me after reading some discussions about it elsewhere. I think it has potential for SOME use cases...not all. I wouldn't go brandable with it...

Depends on tbe keyword ad always.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back