IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great video.

"You just put the Hololens on and then you scan the staircase"

I have anticipated for this way of working with ScanMR in king.

Same thought pattern here.

ARscans(.)com
MRscans(.)com

:)

•••
A recent update to an Apple trademark page for the Mac Pro has added added the term "augmented reality displays" —but the addition means very little regarding Apple's future plans, with the tactic having used before to cover every eventuality.

Quote above Courtesy Below but at least another a mention of ar that seems to gaining more public acceptance especially in the media
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...trademark-adds-reference-to-augmented-reality

Last edited:
•••
A recent update to an Apple trademark page for the Mac Pro has added added the term "augmented reality displays" —but the addition means very little regarding Apple's future plans, with the tactic having used before to cover every eventuality.

Quote above Courtesy Below but at least another a mention of ar that seems to gaining more public acceptance especially in the media
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...trademark-adds-reference-to-augmented-reality

To be honest though, I think it's a safe bet that Apple will at the very least be going the AR route.

•••
To be honest though, I think it's a safe bet that Apple will at the very least be going the AR route.
So you think hyper reality hr is out of the question all together

•••
So you think hyper reality hr is out of the question all together

No not saying they won't brand the tech differently but it will be AR tech.

I am expecting them to call it AR if I am being honest, but my bet would be if they do try to name either AR or MR a differen't acronym then it could well be HR due to the history of their patents.

I know you like Hyper Reality but with the void using it I feel Hybrid Reality could be an option.

But yes mate, I will be shocked if more terms are thrown into the equasion. VR/AR/MR & XR will be confusing enough as it is :ROFL:

•••
No not saying they won't brand the tech differently but it will be AR tech.

I am expecting them to call it AR if I am being honest, but my bet would be if they do try to name either AR or MR a differen't acronym then it could well be HR due to the history of their patents.

I know you like Hyper Reality but with the void using it I feel Hybrid Reality could be an option.

But yes mate, I will be shocked if more terms are thrown into the equasion. VR/AR/MR & XR will be confusing enough as it is :ROFL:

From a Marketing perspective, if you aim to a mass market, i feel Hyper/Hybrid dont serve the purpose.

Hyper-fits arcade style elements (i do own some names as i feel there will be some demand for hyper reality longtails.
Hybrid-just not sexy enough as a term

Imho, i can be wrong of course.

•••
From a Marketing perspective, if you aim to a mass market, i feel Hyper/Hybrid dont serve the purpose.

Hyper-fits arcade style elements (i do own some names as i feel there will be some demand for hyper reality longtails.
Hybrid-just not sexy enough as a term

Imho, i can be wrong of course.

I agree mate with what you are saying but I actually like Hybrid Reality more than mixed reality term if I am being honest. It is the other phrase used to explain the exact meaning of mixed reality also.

Obviously I am happy Microsoft, Magic Leap etc are using Mixed Reality instead, but I can see the potential in what Hybrid means.

# BTW I would not recommend anyone reg Hybrid domains, its nothing less than a crazy gamble at this stage :xf.eek:

Last edited:
•••
I agree mate with what you are saying but I actually like Hybrid Reality more than mixed reality term if I am being honest. It is the other phrase used to explain the exact meaning of mixed reality also.

Obviously I am happy Microsoft, Magic Leap etc are using Mixed Reality instead, but I can see the potential in what Hybrid means.

# BTW I would not recommend anyone reg Hybrid domains, its nothing less than a crazy gamble at this stage :xf.eek:
So would you say hybrid reality would shorten to hr i own quite a few hr and debating weather to just keep premiums

•••
Some are preferring the term Merged Reality over Mixed Reality which kinda sounds nice.

•••
So would you say hybrid reality would shorten to hr i own quite a few hr and debating weather to just keep premiums

Yes mate, Hyper or Hybrid would most likely be just HR.

I think it's a good idea only to keep premiums (y)

•••
Some are preferring the term Merged Reality over Mixed Reality which kinda sounds nice.

Well I think at this stage Intel's got to come up with not only a good bit of hardware but also make some real good partner connections and really promote the term.

I hope they can make it work but they need to start doing it soon imo

Microsoft's partner headsets coming to market at such a low price point probably as been a bit of a blow to intel if truth be known.

Last edited:
•••
Well I think at this stage Intel's got to come up with not only a good bit of hardware but also make some real good partner connections and really promote the term.

I hope they can make it work but they need to start doing it soon imo

Microsoft's partner headsets coming to market at such a low price point probably as been a bit of a blow to intel if truth be known.

Well, we have to wait till next year to see the fruits of Intel’s Project Alloy.
Let's hope they would deliver at least 60 % of what they are promising.

•••
Hybrid Reality does actually describe many of these devices well by definition.
No, I'm not promoting the term.
I do think that that one and perhaps some others will be introduced by someone down the line but I don't see any of them being used in names in any big way.
Intel's Merged Reality term is fitting. And that is really a marketing term the way I see it. And it fits.
But I can't see a big use of it in names either, outside of their own platform for use. It 'Could' be how the WMR thing is played as well.

I really think everyone's time would be better served by looking at the things people will be doing with whatever devices are actually served up in the market place.
'The Experience' or 'The Tools'. That is where the names sales will be.

You might sell folks one of these formats in the next 5 years.
You might sell some of those a second format.
But each piece of hardware will have at least 10-15 software sales in 5 years and plenty of somewhat free experiences on the web paid for by other means.
And don't get the idea all of those require VR/AR/MR in the name.

•••
Eye-TrackingVR / EyeTrackingHMD

HTC Vive Is Getting A $220 Plug-And-Play Eye Tracking Peripheral Next Month

Eye tracking is one feature that could could benefit the performance and affordability of high-end virtual reality headsets. The HTC Vive should become the first mainstream headset to put that theory to the test.

A Chinese startup known as 7invensun (pronounced seven-in-ven-sun) is announcing it will be releasing a new eye tracking module for the Vive next month. The module is called the aGlass and it will be available for “limited pre-order sales” next month, according to HTC. The company is referring to this first roll-out as a developer kit, but pre-orders are open to anyone.

According to HTC, the system will cost about $220 USD and will release first in China next month before rolling out towards Q3 in the west.

Read more: https://uploadvr.com/7invensun-eye-tracker-for-vive/

Last edited:
•••
Hybrid Reality does actually describe many of these devices well by definition.
No, I'm not promoting the term.
I do think that that one and perhaps some others will be introduced by someone down the line but I don't see any of them being used in names in any big way.
Intel's Merged Reality term is fitting. And that is really a marketing term the way I see it. And it fits.
But I can't see a big use of it in names either, outside of their own platform for use. It 'Could' be how the WMR thing is played as well.

I really think everyone's time would be better served by looking at the things people will be doing with whatever devices are actually served up in the market place.
'The Experience' or 'The Tools'. That is where the names sales will be.

You might sell folks one of these formats in the next 5 years.
You might sell some of those a second format.
But each piece of hardware will have at least 10-15 software sales in 5 years and plenty of somewhat free experiences on the web paid for by other means.
And don't get the idea all of those require VR/AR/MR in the name.

100% get what you mean but VR names are starting to get some $xx,xxx range sales because companies see the benefit of branding with the exact tech acronym they are involved in.

I get why you like 3D, Virtual, Hologram/Holographic etc keywords and I agree with your advice but I feel you might be suprised how much of a key role some of these acronyms will end up playing.

•••
I personally wouldn’t go near any ‘3D’ keywords in VR – VR by definition is 3D (360o 3D):-

===
Virtual Reality

"the computer-generated simulation of a three-dimensional image or environment that can be interacted with in a seemingly real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment, such as a helmet with a screen inside or gloves fitted with sensors."
====

So a VR company branding themselves VR+3D+keyword sort of makes the term redundant and any 3D+keywords will make companies/public think back to failed 3DTV’s, so I can’t imagine anyone wanting to brand with that.

Merged Reality – Obviously I’m going to be bias owning the .com, I’m not sure if it’s my best name, but it’s my favorite name – I’m actually hoping it goes on to be how XR is being promoted not how Intel are promoting it, but out of all the terms outside the big 3 Virtual/Augmented/Mixed - Merged is the most registered domain in terms of how many extensions it’s taken in and has more backing behind it than Hyper/Extended/XR/Hybrid etc (a billion $ company and possibly some of these companies partners), so let’s see how it goes.

Last edited:
•••
ARMakeup / MakeupAR / CosmeticsAR / ARBeautyShop

Why Beauty Brands Bet On Augmented Reality

I recently wrote about how consumers are increasingly turning to their smartphones to search, browse and buy beauty products.
One thing I failed to mention, however, is the fact that many are testing beauty products via their mobiles, too.
How exactly? Well it’s all down to augmented reality.

1_1996.jpg

Sephora is the latest brand to introduce AR into its app, with its ‘Virtual Artist’ feature allowing users to ‘try on’ different looks by overlaying make-up onto photos. A tutorials feature also demonstrates exactly how to achieve specific looks.
With brands like L’Oréal and OPI also offering users the chance to virtually experiment with beauty products, it’s becoming par for the course for big brands.
Here’s just three reasons why.

Read more: https://www.vrroom.buzz/vr-news/trends/why-beauty-brands-bet-augmented-reality

Last edited:
•••
Expanding the VR Ecosystem, Presented by HTC

VR came into living rooms less than a year ago and has already captured the public imagination in a way that's reminiscent of other rapidly mass adopted technology such as HDTVs, smartphones and tablets. Yet VR's potential is greater than a single device category or computing platform. The immersion of VR and its application in areas ranging from games and entertainment to education and enterprise positions it as the next mass adopted medium. The question is, when will we get there? This session looks at how Vive is accelerating the adoption of VR with both consumer and enterprise facing initiatives, and giving developers more ways to fund and monetize premium VR content.

•••
A good article i read that shows the path of Microsoft and some other companies. Im not saying it will or wont happen as there are other companies and terms that are being pushed, just giving their take on the subject.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF WINDOWS MR

What exactly is Microsoft's 'Windows Mixed Reality?'

http://m.windowscentral.com/my-reaction-windows-mixed-reality

"Microsoft calls this Mixed Reality because it uses components from all of these terms, depending on the hardware and application in use"

"In other words, Mixed Reality is a spectrum of experiences that includes holographic (HoloLens) all the way to an Acer MR headset. It's all powered by Windows 10 and the Universal Windows Platform (UWP). It's a very flexible system that can scale to all types of hardware"

•••
Could any native Spanish speakers private message me please.

Just want your opinion on something.

Last edited:
•••

I recently wrote about how consumers are increasingly turning to their smartphones to search, browse and buy beauty products.
One thing I failed to mention, however, is the fact that many are testing beauty products via their mobiles, too.

Show attachment 56463

Sephora is the latest brand to introduce AR into its app, with its ‘Virtual Artist’ feature allowing users to ‘try on’ different looks by overlaying make-up onto photos. A tutorials feature also demonstrates exactly how to achieve specific looks.
With brands like L’Oréal and OPI also offering users the chance to virtually experiment with beauty products, it’s becoming par for the course for big brands.

Read more: https://www.vrroom.buzz/vr-news/trends/why-beauty-brands-bet-augmented-reality

I've been having fun the last few days with the FaceAPP that lets you see yourself as an old man (frighteningly realistic). Has millions of downloads already. https://www.faceapp.com/ I think those names you listed could be gold.

•••
The Future of Technology: VR, AR and now MR… Why the future of reality may be mixed

In the latest in our series on emerging tech trends, we ask what’s next for virtual reality. The answer: it might not be VR at all.
The year 2016 undoubtedly saw virtual reality’s coming out party. Following years in development, the high-end Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and PlayStation VR headsets became available promising a wealth of fully-immersive experiences for around £400.

For VR fans on a budget, the £15 Google Cardboard/Daydream and £45 Samsung Gear VR headsets that involve simply inserting a smartphone have made it was easy to get a taste without spending big money. These experiences allowed almost anyone to dip their toes into the virtual water. Read More...

•••
Could any native Spanish speakers private message me please.

Just want your opinion on something.
Seek @marioct - He is normally in the VR thread when he is around. If you have not answered that yet.
You could PM him. Nice fellow, I'm sure he would help you out..

•••

Show attachment 56463

You have some good names there. These new apps also make me feel good about my ARVanity and VanityAR.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back