Dynadot

discuss Here's why .XYZ will fail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There has been a lot of hype lately for .xyz because of a small number of big sales. I see a lot of people overextending themselves and pouring a lot of their budget in this extension. Personally, I believe .xyz is doomed to fail. Maybe I'll eat my words, maybe I won't. Here is my case for why I think .xyz will fail:

1) Low number of sales

According to Namebio.com, in the last two years there have been only 867 sales. Only 359 of those have been over $1,000. Yes, these are only reported sales, but unimpressive none the less. Now, compare this with the number of .xyz registered in the past two years, and this number will seem even more minuscule. Most of the names that sold were also premium one word names.

2) No space for innovation

Which brings me to my next point. Because domainers are rushing to register every single available .xyz domain that is decent, it leaves little space for businesses to set up under the extension and promote the extension. This exposure is crucial in order for the TLD to grow. It's getting to the point where you can't find a decent two word .xyz and that's not because they are taken by businesses. Which will certainly stunt its growth.

3) It's ugly

Aesthetically and phonetically .xyz is ugly. It's three syllables, unlike .com, .me, .net, .co... Which makes it harder to say. It looks horrible when it's part of a design or even just typing it. It feels cheap.

4) People don't trust it

Because of all the reasons above and the cheap initial registration costs, there aren't enough legitimate businesses using the extension and there are lot of spammy sites. Starting to type in Google "is .xyz" gives a first suggestion of "is .xyz safe". Same goes for ".xyz domain" (third suggestion).

5) It's not early

I know many of you will say that it's still early for .xyz. But it isn't. It has been around since 2014. It had some initial hype because of Google using it and that hype hasn't materialized. I don't think it ever will.

That's just my two cents. What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's just from names they're checking though, not the total registered. If we assume 150m .COMs and 4m .XYZ, then based on the numbers in your post:

3719 bad .COM sites from 150000000 = 0.0025%

396 bad .XYZ sites from 4000000 = 0.0099%

I don't think it's much of an issue though. More people simply haven't heard of XYZ at all than have heard it's a bad extension.
First, it is impossible to analyze all domains because the population size is too large, but their sample size is large enough to be statistically significant.

Second, your interpretation is wrong. "3719" and "396" are from sample size, not population size. It is wrong to apply them with population size figures. The correct calculations are:
Estimated bad .com sites: 150,000,000 * 4.5% = 6,750,000
Estimated bad .xyz sites: 4,000,000 * 2.6% = 104,000

Third, as for your last sentence, please read completely my writing (especially point 3 and 4) as I already explained it.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Yes, .com is a top extension.

Why you disagree?

Before I can answer your question I need to know what do you mean with "top extension".

•••
Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
I've never seen the value prop of .xyz although I believe the extension is perfect for Alphabet (ABC.XYZ)
AI (Artificial Intelligence)
CO (shorter version of .com, option when the .com is taken or price is too high)
.ME Personalized/Call to Action
.IO (computer, tech, dev)
.ORG (organizations, non-profits)

Harvard Business Review should do an article on the marketing of .xyz; this would be a cool case study,

What is the .XYZ brand? What does it symbolize, convey?

Disclaimer: 90% of my domain portfolio is .com. 9.5% = .AI, .DE, .ORG, .IO, .CO, .CO.UK, .ME..i have one .xyz that i also have in .io

•••
Why is an alternative opinion classed as trolling?

Hate is a strong emotional reaction. Facts are indisputable. The general public does not trust or understand .xyz domain names. That is a fact. Hit the streets and start asking random people. " Have you heard of .xyz? " or " Do you trust .xyz? " and I think we all know what the general consensus will be.

Dictionary word .xyz are popular because of the hype which is causing stupid sales. The hype will soon disappear and with it the sales. You can buy dictionary word .biz when once they were also part of a hype.
Well, the op has just given an arbitrary reason for it, nothing data back up.
So consider he is not trolling here is my answer 1 to 5 answers:
1) No, it’s high number of sales this year which Bob has given the report.

2) Huge space for innovation compared to .com, find a decent .com name is a nightmare.

3) It's cool

It looks sharp & clean all the letters tipped with vertices, those letters fits XR VR AR in looking.
4) People should trust it, according to spamhaus report .com is worse than .xyz.
(The lower % the better)
Ps. .xyz registry did a very good job on anti spamming.
1643082435929.jpeg

5) It’s a true new generic tld for wide international purposes, .com only stands for commercial, company.

And if you don’t mind and considering I am not trolling, here is why .com will fail:
1) It looks old.
2) can’t find any good 2 even 3 words to reg.
3) New Generations especially Z don’t like it.
4) Too expensive for new start up.
5) Many junk email as well.
6) big number registered means nothing for future perspectives, even Nokia has fallen.

Attachments

• 1643082405947.jpeg
    1643082405947.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
•••
Well, the op has just given an arbitrary reason for it, nothing data back up.
Disagree.
So consider he is not trolling here is my answer 1 to 5 answers:
1) No, it’s high number of sales this year which Bob has given the report.
Not high number of sales in comparison to .com. Don't say it's new. Was launched in 2014. Not a new extension. Younger than .com but eight years isn't new.
2) Huge space for innovation compared to .com, find a decent .com name is a nightmare.
Could say that about most extensions. Not an argument unique to .xyz. Also there are many .com available to register and buy cheap. So also not an argument for .xyz.
3) It's cool
Subjective opinion, confusing and pointless isn't cool.
It looks sharp & clean all the letters tipped with vertices, those letters fits XR VR AR in looking.
You are actually joking now right? Saying xr.com is worse looking than xr.xyz is like saying a diamond looks worse than a steaming pile of sheep pooh. What is sharp and clean about xr.xyz. Not an argument.
4) People should trust it, according to spamhaus report .com is worse than .xyz.
(The lower % the better)
Ps. .xyz registry did a very good job on anti spamming.
But they don't trust it. Google and see. Xyz is NOT TRUSTED by the general public. Same as .biz.
5) It’s a true new generic tld for wide international purposes, .com only stands for commercial, company.
Absolute nonsense. Dot com can be used for anything. Dot xyz can only be used for weird things like poltergeist movie fan clubs and magic mushroom cult tribes.
And if you don’t mind and considering I am not trolling, here is why .com will fail:
1) It looks old.
Established versus failed. Dot com versus dot xyz.
2) can’t find any good 2 even 3 words to reg.
Not true. Not an argument. You pay $ 100 many available. You are making up facts to suit your argument.
3) New Generations especially Z don’t like it.
Who did you ask some stone skaters in the park?
4) Too expensive for new start up.
Subjective. Depends on budget. Can buy for $ 100 or $ 1000 or just invent a brand and buy for $ 10. So also not an argument.
5) Many junk email as well.
So both sunshine and rain are weather. What are you saying two wrongs make one wrong right? Not an argument.
6) big number registered means nothing for future perspectives, even Nokia has fallen.
Saying .com might fall has nothing to do with .xyz having already fallen. Only domainers and a handful of cryptos and nerds are using .xyz. Not saying anything bad about nerds. But your general arguments don't hold much weight. Not trolling .xyz just saying it's a trend wave that will soon hit the beach and be replaced by another trend wave. Maybe .abc or something.

•••
Before I can answer your question I need to know what do you mean with "top extension".
Come on guys at least all this .top carry-on is entertaining. Why the hate? He really is a funny guy!

•••
Yes, .com is a top extension

Why you disagree?
.com is the best extension but it isn't the top extension. Only .top is the top extension.

•••
Most important for the resellers to sell domains and make profit , Nobody cares if domains later developed or not .
So it's only about profit and greed not being honest and trying to sell things of value which benefit others? Trading .xyz is passing on something you know has absolutely no future value.

•••
You are actually joking now right? Saying xr.com is worse looking than xr.xyz is like saying a diamond looks worse than a steaming pile of sheep pooh. What is sharp and clean about xr.xyz. Not an argument.
Not joking, thinking that xr.com is better in looking is just an old mindset(high volume legacy regs making you think that way) , in my opinion .com will eventually looks like .net (even looks older).

Last edited:
•••
So it's only about profit and greed not being honest and trying to sell things of value which benefit others? Trading .xyz is passing on something you know has absolutely no future value.

Which greed you talking about :ROFL: !! Nobody force buyers to buy !
Buyers are not stupid , They only buy what they like and see it valuable .

•••
5329672.xyz Patent Number For a Paper Clip
I mean common a paper clip
A paper clip
While you guys were arguing i scored the patent number for a paper clip

One guy said he bought a house off ebay starting with a paper clip

•••
I've been around for over 20 years doing this profitably as a sideline. Some people will make money on any extension that comes out. The vast majority won't make anything regardless of the extension. If you like it, register/buy it. If you don’t, then move on.

But be aware a lot of us have suffered through .biz, .us, .ws, and .mobi and every other new extension that gets hyped and disappears. We don't want to gamble again if we feel we have better odds elsewhere.

If another extension actually becomes established, then I will trade it.

Until then, this is the same thread I've seen 100 times about all the others. someone should dig them up for a laugh.

Congrats to DNgear, who appears to be successfully riding the wave. if I was serious about .xyz, id be trying to reverse engineer her competitive advantage. I’m sure it isn’t lottery ticket luck 😀

•••
Yes, .com is a top extension.

Why you disagree?

+

.com is the best extension but it isn't the top extension. Only .top is the top extension.

=

Depending on what you mean with "top extension" you are being either pointless or right (or wrong) in your statements, the follwing analysis explains why.

Enjoy reading now.

TECHNICALLY (HIERARCHICALLY) viewed, there is no "top extension", there are only "top level domains" (but no "top extensions") because any "(domain name) extension" is technically (hierarchically) top due its position in the DNS and thus it is pointless to say ".com (or .xyz (or .top)) is a top extension" because every (domain name) extension is top by its technical (hierarchical) sense - and this is why we say "top level domain" to any (domain name) extension but we do not say "top extension" when we speak about their technical (hierarchical) status.

LITERALLY (SEMANTICALLY) viewed, it is right to say there is only one "top extension" and it is obviously neither .com nor .xyz (which would be wrong to think / write / say), thus my original statement why ...

... it is absurd to think that .xyz will fail (it won't, it is literally (semantically) just not top, like .com is literally (semantically) just not top (as mentioned, technically (hierarchically)) both are top of course - but, as also mentioned, ALL TLDs are technically (hierarchically) top) and NO AMOUNT OF DOWNVOTES (LOL) WILL CHANGE TECHNICAL (HIERARCHICAL) / LITERAL (SEMANTICAL) FACTS :xf.cool:

Last edited:
•••
First, it is impossible to analyze all domains because the population size is too large, but their sample size is large enough to be statistically significant.

I make their sample size to be about 0.05% of registered .COMs. AKA insignificant.

Second, your interpretation is wrong. "3719" and "396" are from sample size, not population size.

I say that in the very first sentence of my post. Are you trolling?

It is wrong to apply them with population size figures. The correct calculations are:
Estimated bad .com sites: 150,000,000 * 4.5% = 6,750,000
Estimated bad .xyz sites: 4,000,000 * 2.6% = 104,000

Everyone knows there are three types of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics. You posted some "correct estimates" because you happen to agree with them and I showed how the same numbers can say something else when applied in a different way.

All you're doing now is repeating the same thing, because, as I now realize after seeing Jimmysun's post, it's not even a sincere, organic thought of yours, but just another bullet/bullshit point for cultists to repeat from the Official XYZ Handbook: "Spamhaus says we're better than .COM!!!!11111eleven".

Third, as for your last sentence, please read completely my writing (especially point 3 and 4) as I already explained it.

LOL You're funny. If you want me to read something you posted again, type it out again.

•••
I make their sample size to be about 0.05% of registered .COMs. AKA insignificant.

I say that in the very first sentence of my post. Are you trolling?

Everyone knows there are three types of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics. You posted some "correct estimates" because you happen to agree with them and I showed how the same numbers can say something else when applied in a different way.

All you're doing now is repeating the same thing, because, as I now realize after seeing Jimmysun's post, it's not even a sincere, organic thought of yours, but just another bullet/bullshit point for cultists to repeat from the Official XYZ Handbook: "Spamhaus says we're better than .COM!!!!11111eleven".

LOL You're funny. If you want me to read something you posted again, type it out again.
OK, I misunderstood the purpose of your calculations. Sorry about that.

Regarding sample size, according to the rule of thumb in statistics, more than 30 is considered large enough for a sample size. So their sample size is large enough. If you disagree Spamhaus's research findings, you can find another credible 3rd party research findings to say .com is now better than .xyz in terms of spamming. I think it will be more helpful for our discussion than expressing your own feeling here.

My points are based on facts, end users' comments and research findings from credible 3rd parties. You can think they are all 'bullshit'. But I have to tell you that the real world is now that "bullshit". If you don't face the "bullshit", you will eventually be bullshit.

Last, I told you to read my writing because all I want to say was written in it and I didn't want to repeat again. My writing is not for you only, so it is up to you to read it again or not. I don't really care as no matter how many times you read, you will always say "bullshit" in a biased manner.

•••
If Xyz registry is clever, it has a massive chance to expand its use case to the education (esp edtech) sector, especially any language and (by extension) travel related companies as well as communications sector like pr, marketing, pr, Telco, voicetech, etc. Businesses like Linguaphone, Duolingo, Udemy, Skillshare, Yousician etc would be suitable types of businesses.

You saw it here first.

•••
No worries, the .xyz registry is clever (it's just that their TLD is (literally) not top), all what will "fail" (in this context) is this thread's topic because the top level domain .xyz is clearly here to stay.

Last edited:
•••
As to Spamhaus data size, I would add the following. Their core function is to protect mailboxes from spam and some other forms of abuse. They protect about 3 billion mailboxes (as part of their service), so all mail that goes to or from these mailboxes form the dataset.

When they compute spam percentages and scores, they consider only the domain names used to send or receive mail (or mainly that, also bot nets). In any extension, even .com, the majority of domain names don't send or receive mail, at least not in a way using Spamhaus services. So the number of domain names they look at is much lower than the total number registered, but it is the active domain names.

Just as an example, there are about 3.24 million domain name registrations in .biz, but only just over 33,000 of those .biz names were seen as active in the mail seen by Spamhaus, of which 7510 were characterized as having spam-like behaviour in the most recent posted data (one can dispute whether their standards are too strict, another question). So for the .biz extension the current percentage is 22.7% bad.

As it is a constant struggle of registrars and registries to shut down bad actors, the actual numbers go up and down with time.

So the 3 billion email accounts that are represented. How does that compare to the total number of email accounts in the world. Estimates vary from 3.9 billion to 7.0 billion for the total number of email accounts, but I suspect the upper is more correct. So in other words, Spamhaus probably monitor nearly half the active email accounts in the world.

It is a significant data source for widely used TLDs in my account, but when one gets to new and seldom used TLDs the sample may be in the hundreds or few thousand, and is not nearly enough. I would think the major 3 legacy, and the most popular country code and new extensions, it is a sufficient size. But that is just my opinion.

Spamhaus has a significant staff, have been doing this for 20 years. I respect their data, but yes, sample size needs to be taken into account.

Bob

PS Not a statistics expert, but if results are roughly part of a normal distribution a simple measure is to take double the square root of the number to set an uncertainty that should hold 95% of the time. For example, if some sample is 100, the real number is probably between 100-(2*10) to 100+(2*10), 80 to 120. But if it was just 16, would be 8 to 24, rather uncertain. Of course if systematic bias, this does not hold. Like if I only sampled domain sales from the seller who sells at the highest values, I can't conclude anything.

Last edited:
•••
If you disagree Spamhaus's research findings, you can find another credible 3rd party research findings to say .com is now better than .xyz in terms of spamming.

It's not that I disagree, it's that I don't think it matters, and 'this TLD' vs 'that TLD' arguments are silly and non-constructive.

If a registry is doing what it can to limit abuse, then the exact numbers don't really matter, especially when they're so low.

The last sentence was the real point, and was not directed at anything you posted, intentionally anyway: that more people probably haven't even heard of XYZ than have heard it's a bad domain.

IOW, again, I don't think the spam/abuse issue is a huge deal, and the biggest issue isn't to get people to stop thinking of XYZ as a bad extension, but for more people to hear about it in the first place.

•••
Y’all are blabbing about how xyz will fail while @DNGear sold metadata.xyz for 50k.

•••
IOW, again, I don't think the spam/abuse issue is a huge deal, and the biggest issue isn't to get people to stop thinking of XYZ as a bad extension, but for more people to hear about it in the first place.
Well, only .com maxi think that it’s a bad domain, buyers(most people) don’t care.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back