Dynadot

discuss Here's why .XYZ will fail

NameSilo
Watch
There has been a lot of hype lately for .xyz because of a small number of big sales. I see a lot of people overextending themselves and pouring a lot of their budget in this extension. Personally, I believe .xyz is doomed to fail. Maybe I'll eat my words, maybe I won't. Here is my case for why I think .xyz will fail:

1) Low number of sales

According to Namebio.com, in the last two years there have been only 867 sales. Only 359 of those have been over $1,000. Yes, these are only reported sales, but unimpressive none the less. Now, compare this with the number of .xyz registered in the past two years, and this number will seem even more minuscule. Most of the names that sold were also premium one word names.

2) No space for innovation

Which brings me to my next point. Because domainers are rushing to register every single available .xyz domain that is decent, it leaves little space for businesses to set up under the extension and promote the extension. This exposure is crucial in order for the TLD to grow. It's getting to the point where you can't find a decent two word .xyz and that's not because they are taken by businesses. Which will certainly stunt its growth.

3) It's ugly

Aesthetically and phonetically .xyz is ugly. It's three syllables, unlike .com, .me, .net, .co... Which makes it harder to say. It looks horrible when it's part of a design or even just typing it. It feels cheap.

4) People don't trust it

Because of all the reasons above and the cheap initial registration costs, there aren't enough legitimate businesses using the extension and there are lot of spammy sites. Starting to type in Google "is .xyz" gives a first suggestion of "is .xyz safe". Same goes for ".xyz domain" (third suggestion).

5) It's not early

I know many of you will say that it's still early for .xyz. But it isn't. It has been around since 2014. It had some initial hype because of Google using it and that hype hasn't materialized. I don't think it ever will.

That's just my two cents. What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nowadays,We don't even know who has been catching all the .xyz.

I guess, There would be plenty of chances to catch them if they spread negativity and there wouldn't be enough competition.
Btw, Did any of these XYZ naysayers show their domain portfolio's? Without knowing these facts why would anyone believe their real intention or belief or blindness.
Their motto is pretty simple. Whatever we say or some research enthusiasts(@Bob Hawkes ) say they won't bother or listen. Because they knew it they were doing it wantedly.
https://www.namepros.com/blog/past-12-months-of-xyz-a-look-at-the-data.1264760/

It just reminds me of, one cannot straighten a dog's tail.
I believe in god.
God bless you.

•••
My teacher told me once there are some people started to hate you means you’re about to succeed.

•••
There are two sides to every story. It's important for people to realize that these hype trains have happened with many other extensions. Sure they're different stories but they're really not. As long as people continue creating threads hyping any extension, there will always be people speaking the voice of reason.

Many of you are heavily invested in this extension so you're biased from the very start of every comment. That's why it's important for threads like this where people can share different views. I guess that's the entire idea of a forum.

•••
Speaking of hyping, can I promote my article (balanced in my view, but well that is my view :unsure:) Catching Trains and Avoiding Train Wrecks. While it was written prior to the .xyz recent rise, and not specifically on that TLD at all, I think the points hold across any TLD.

The article mentions many things, such as the relationship between risk and reward, whether it is the right time or already too late, etc. Here is a part:
Where Is This Train Going?

While none of us can precisely predict the future, that does not mean that there is not available information to help us evaluate the speculative risk. In the case of investing in an extension, you might consider questions like these.
  • Who runs the extension, and how stable are they?
  • What end use is already active?
  • If a repurposed country code, are there any political storm clouds on the horizon?
  • What are the main competitors for this domain investment?
  • Based on early sales, what is the approximate sell-through rate and typical sales prices?
  • Is familiarity with the extension growing significantly?
  • In what sectors and regions does the extension find use?
  • Is there a trend of startups using this extension or type of name?
Do your research before you make a decision to invest.
In researching articles such as 12 Months of XYZ: A Look At The Data I did research (although not always explicitly include in the article), for .xyz, many of the questions on this list. The registry history, end-use, sell-through rates, average prices, sectors and regions, and startup trends with respect to the extension.

I think, there is a natural bias against anything except what long term investors have mainly already invested in, that is .com. Some investors have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in .com. If the overall domain market does not grow, success in anything else takes a little bit of market share from .com. Any who have invested heavily in .xyz will probably carry a different inherent bias. Anyone can make good objective points, or not.

I think that a good discussion can help to illuminate concerns in any sector or TLD. But it is also important for each of us to realize that we carry biases and self-interest into any discussion. I am particularly cognizant of that as someone who has the privilege to write for the community. Personally, what small investments I make are not that concentrated in any one TLD or niche. I like being diversified in many things, partly as a learning exercise.

I sometimes leap into a new opportunity and register a lot of names but the total amount I invest I am prepared to lose, and also my total is less than I currently have tied up in just a handful of my current .com names. For example I hand registered a lot of .quest in the early days of general availability, cause I liked the names available and matches across dot. So far only 2 sales ever in that TLD, so I know it is high risk, but if you spend a limited amount, I am fine with that. In fact my one sale covers everything I invested in the TLD and more, but another 6 months will have to decide on renewals.

At the end of the train/wreck article I shared my personal set of questions. Here it is.

I require a yes to all items to go ahead and board the speculative train.
  1. Am I sitting on any money that is available for domain investing right now? I personally try to only invest what I have made from domain names. I pass up some promotions or opportunities if they happen when I have no extra funds. Don’t speculate with money you will need for other purposes.
  2. Have I researched this opportunity? Have I really put the hours into looking at the relevant statistics and type of names that have sold so far?
  3. Have I also put the effort into finding the best possible names?
  4. Am I the right person to invest in this? This is related to the point above that not every train is right for every person. Can you justify to your accountability partner why you are investing in this sector or extension?
  5. Is now the right time? The timing might be related to cost-of-ownership opportunities, like promotions, but also is there still a good pool of quality names available, or have I missed this train?
  6. If I reasonably estimate costs, likely return and probability of sale does it make quantitative sense? This is the hardest to estimate, but important. Promotions may tip the argument making a one year trial on some domain names worthwhile. For example if I estimate the annual selling probability at 1% for a particular domain name, and the likely net return after costs at $1500, then paying $15 for one year is the breakeven point. If one year of registration has dropped from $40 to $5, the odds now favour making a speculative investment, whereas they did not previously.
So If I answer yes to all six points, I next set a maximum total amount that I feel comfortably investing, and stick to it.
I am currently expanding somewhat my personal .xyz as I can find names I like. That said, I wonder if it is too late, as so many names I would want are in domainer hands and they are not letting them go cheap. I am mixing aftermarket wholesale purchases and hand registration. In hand registration I am opting for the 2-year promotion, which gives me a bit of breathing room and I can hold the name for 2 years for essentially the cost of 1 year of .com. I am hoping within 2 year the type of .xyz that sells will broaden, but it might not.

Anyway, hope some of this has been of value. And balanced.

Happy investing, whatever you choose to concentrate on.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Btw looks like someone has way underpriced Painter.xyz on Dan, listing it for only $8,895

•••
This thread will lead to nowhere as there will always be two sides of the story.
If you don't like or believe in the extension then don't buy it. It's simple like that why make it a big story.
People on the left will prove people on the right are wrong.
It can all be stop here so your friends can do some buying/selling to make money rather than engage in this thread.
You are not helping anyone - You are hurting them.

•••
As a business man I don't really care much about the hype or the future.
As long as I get in and out at the right time and make some profit.
I think many people losing money because they think too much and dig the hole too big.
I am simple and don't dig hole.

Your wife is ok, right?

•••
Are this words related?
Hype = Hypocrite.
Sorry but English is not my native, only trying to understand the meaning of Hype that many people mention here in forums.

•••
Are this words related?
Hype = Hypocrite.
Sorry but English is not my native, only trying to understand the meaning of Hype that many people mention here in forums.

Hype just means people are very excited, and to “hype up something” is like saying to someone,

Buy buy buy !!!

And normally when something gets hyped up ^ the price goes up, because the demand goes up, however ... over hyping something can be dangerous, best thing to do is let people decide something for themselves

Last edited:
•••
Hype just means people are very excited, and to “hype up something” is like saying to someone,

Buy buy buy !!!

And normally when something gets hyped up ^ the price goes up, because the demand goes up, however ... over hyping something can be dangerous, best thing to do is let people decide something for themselves
Thank you for explanation! Would add some points but I m restricted to add Likes.

•••
This thread will lead to nowhere as there will always be two sides of the story.
If you don't like or believe in the extension then don't buy it. It's simple like that why make it a big story.
It can all be stop here so your friends can do some buying/selling to make money rather than engage in this thread.
I think your wife logged into your account again Johnn

•••
My teacher told me once there are some people started to hate you means you’re about to succeed.

Well, according to all the downvote waves I experience, this seem to be good news for me as well hahaha

Last edited:
•••
Well, according to all the downvote waves I experience, this seem to be good news for me as well hahaha

1643978554673.png

More good news!

The reason why .xyz won't fail is because it includes the letter z and the letter z is the name of the axis that leads (in the positive direction) to the top and nothing can change this.

Last edited:
•••
The reason why .xyz won't fail is because it includes the letter z and the letter z is the name of the axis that leads (in the positive direction) to the top and nothing can change this.

1643980180572.png

Last edited:
•••
Im not sure if xyz works like a .com for now im mostly buying certain series of numbers

•••
Ugh! :cautious: Another one of those thousands of ''.xyz is doomed!!!'' threads. I think you guys are more responsible for hyping it up by creating threads like these every day than the actual sales.

•••
Dot Com or Ex Why Zee? I have the solution!

ex-why-zee.com

:xf.grin:

•••
Lets Relax....

A : Are .com and xyz domain extension ?
B : Yes
A : Will .xyz and .com fail tomorrow ?
B : No,
A : Why ?
B : Because .com and .xyz aren't human, its only domain extensions and have no emotion

Failure is about human attitude, emotion, lower self, stress, and wrong decision. All domain extension is actually nothing before playing them to be everything.

Last edited:
•••
👍👍👍

•••
Also most spamy tld ever.

•••
The last year increase in sells, and even fact this post is polemic & trending, just mean one thing, xyz is more valuable now than a year ago, and the trend continues. And facts do not care about opinions.

Last edited:
•••
Atleast it's the only TLD that doesn't feel like a game of hungry hungry hippos all the good .coms are gobbled up and the ones remaining come from a fairy tale nobody cares about

I stay away from two letter TLDs

•••
Warren Buffet says be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful. I see a lot of blind yolo XYZ greed but nothing backing it up as more than a hot trend.

•••
Warren Buffet says be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful. I see a lot of blind yolo XYZ greed but nothing backing it up as more than a hot trend.
Seems like you’re fearful of xyz 🤣

•••
Think as a end user and you will get your answer. What .xyz domains are well kknow for . Momentum.xyz sold 68.000 , really , hum what sort of deal is .xyz is making with sellers , cheap marketing that creates a follow up , not rocket science .

•••
Back