Dynadot

advice Here Is Why You Must Double Check The Spelling Before You Bid!

NameSilo
Watch
Sometimes we miss the most obvious things in life and in my case, something that was smacking me right in the face!

It's a mistake that I would think happens to best of us but maybe you can learn from my experience.

Read more

-Omar

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Sometimes we miss the most obvious things in life and in my case, something that was smacking me right in the face!

It's a mistake that I would think happens to best of us but maybe you can learn from my experience.

Read more

-Omar

Since you mentioned that there's a prospective buyer interested in this domain, don't you think this confession/advice might be a bit premature and could undercut whatever price the domain could fetch??

•••
I made a similar mistake when I started buying emoji domain names

When I buy an emoji domain name I go to one website and type the emoji and or emoji 's in to a website as an emoji etc which tells me if the emoji domain name is available and it also shows its punycode eg an xn-- code etc which I write down and type in to the registrar I use domain name search box in punycode which appears as punycode until I add to cart and then the emoji domain is transformed from punycode to emoji in appearance so that I know I have actually bought the emoji domain I wanted to and not a bunch of pointless meaningless punycode and I find this system works well for me as it only takes me 3 minutes to search for get punycode and use punycode in a different registrar and buy emoji domain etc

But going back to the thread etc

One of the first emoji domains I bought I didn't realise how important the - - was were in the punycode and when I typed in the emoji domain in emoji in to a registrar and I bought that emoji domain from that registrar It turns out that somehow I bought a bunch of pointless meaningless punycode because the domain does not appear as an emoji domain name but instead it appears in my account as pointless meaningless code all because the domain name is missing the very important (- -) after the xn

And that pointless domain I still own cost me about $20 to buy reg fee lol

•••
"If I new this domain was spelled wrong, I would have never paid the money I did for it."

Knew* lol come on now are we learning yet?

•••
"If I new this domain was spelled wrong, I would have never paid the money I did for it."

Haha.. I found that sentence ironic too...

I'd made the same mistake. Registered Chrismasgifts instead of Christmasgifts... Fortunately, I did not lose any money (did not make any either)

•••

I'd made the same mistake. Registered Chrismasgifts instead of Christmasgifts... Fortunately, I did not lose any money (did not make any either)

If you'd bought the correct spelling of it in dot com it would make you a fortune as a website selling those gifts etc

•••
If you'd bought the correct spelling of it in dot com it would make you a fortune as a website selling those gifts etc

Of course. Unfortunately, it wasn't the t correct spelling. And the typo was in a .NET no less

•••
What was the name?

This one seems like one of those cases - http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/BackorderDetails.aspx?domainname=petheath.com&cat=

Pet Heath, not Pet Health

Since you mentioned that there's a prospective buyer interested in this domain, don't you think this confession/advice might be a bit premature and could undercut whatever price the domain could fetch??

Yes, it was a similar case. Exactly, I wont reveal the name because I literally just got a new inquiry on it so let's see what happens with that.

But the example you mentioned above is spot on. Just one letter messed everything up. lol

I made a similar mistake when I started buying emoji domain names

When I buy an emoji domain name I go to one website and type the emoji and or emoji 's in to a website as an emoji etc which tells me if the emoji domain name is available and it also shows its punycode eg an xn-- code etc which I write down and type in to the registrar I use domain name search box in punycode which appears as punycode until I add to cart and then the emoji domain is transformed from punycode to emoji in appearance so that I know I have actually bought the emoji domain I wanted to and not a bunch of pointless meaningless punycode and I find this system works well for me as it only takes me 3 minutes to search for get punycode and use punycode in a different registrar and buy emoji domain etc

But going back to the thread etc

One of the first emoji domains I bought I didn't realise how important the - - was were in the punycode and when I typed in the emoji domain in emoji in to a registrar and I bought that emoji domain from that registrar It turns out that somehow I bought a bunch of pointless meaningless punycode because the domain does not appear as an emoji domain name but instead it appears in my account as pointless meaningless code all because the domain name is missing the very important (- -) after the xn

And that pointless domain I still own cost me about $20 to buy reg fee lol

I literally no nothing about emoji domains at the moment but sounds super confusing! But $20 isn't all that bad. For me, I think I paid around $90 for this mistake, lol.

I was obviously TESTING you! And you passed the test! LOL, jk. See how bad I am with spelling and stuff. I just fixed it...lol.

LOL yeah, my mess up. But yeah, it's easy to make a simple mistake like that. :xf.eek:

•••
I've had this one experience recently with Godaddy expired domains Auctions. I was so excited whenI first read it CLOUD.CO. Wow!! what a great name and that too for <$50?? Then I bid, realized i first read it wrong, and was fortunately outbid by which time I was so relieved. Lol :-P

•••
I've had this one experience recently with Godaddy expired domains Auctions. I was so excited whenI first read it CLOUD.CO. Wow!! what a great name and that too for <$50?? Then I bid, realized i first read it wrong, and was fortunately outbid by which time I was so relieved. Lol :-P

LOL nice!!

•••
Why? Cloud.co by itself is a pretty good name. Obviously not as premium as the .com but it's still a very good name

•••
LOL yeah, my mess up. But yeah, it's easy to make a simple mistake like that. :xf.eek:

Yeah. I don't remember but I think it was either the excitement of getting a fab name (I mean, christmasgifts.net is still a great domain to develop) or I was drunk. Either case, I did screw up...

•••
Why? Cloud.co by itself is a pretty good name. Obviously not as premium as the .com but it's still a very good name
No i didn't read properly and read it as cloud.co. Yes that's a very good name but it was actually COULD.CO. :xf.grin:

•••
No i didn't read properly and read it as cloud.co. Yes that's a very good name but it was actually COULD.CO. :xf.grin:

wow :xf.laugh:
this is super confusing, on seeing your comment COULD. CO, I almost thought it is CLOUD.CO

•••
•••
astronaut = usa .. astronaught = uk
~
theatre = uk .. theater = usa
~
.....ummm

•••
Interesting topic. I fell for SCHORLARSHIP.CO.UK, I knew immediately I hit the pay now button....I was lucky it wasn't a big money.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for giving me this information

•••
•••
Way back I did something silly too. I bought my Personal name as a domain and forgot an R lol. So now I own both in case I decide to change my name...

•••
Way back I did something silly too. I bought my Personal name as a domain and forgot an R lol. So now I own both in case I decide to change my name...

LOL! Thanks for sharing!

•••

Not if he's honest.

•••
Not if he's honest.

I'm guessing this is directed towards me?

I am pretty sure the buyer knows the domain is a misspell. I did not market the domain to him, he contacted me through a parking page set up through uniregistry. So he intentionally typed the domain in his browser and contacted me.

Haven't heard back from them since though, so it's w.e. I probably won't renew the name as well. It all depends if I get any more interest before it's time for renewal of course. I'll also keep an I eye out for typo traffic because I've heard sometimes that could be valuable.

-Omar

•••
I'm guessing this is directed towards me?

I am pretty sure the buyer knows the domain is a misspell. I did not market the domain to him, he contacted me through a parking page set up through uniregistry. So he intentionally typed the domain in his browser and contacted me.

Haven't heard back from them since though, so it's w.e. I probably won't renew the name as well. It all depends if I get any more interest before it's time for renewal of course. I'll also keep an I eye out for typo traffic because I've heard sometimes that could be valuable.

-Omar

*I wasn't suggesting you're not honest. I agree typo's can be valuable.

I was answering the question: "don't you think this confession/advice might be a bit premature and could undercut whatever price the domain could fetch?"

Last edited:
•••
Back