Dynadot

auctions Help For A Newbie - Selling the same domain on the same marketplace for a profit

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Junglist101

Established Member
Impact
So I've been heavily studying domaining for nearly 2 weeks now, and have a good grasp on what makes a domain worth while, and how to look into the background of expired domains or pre-owned domains before purchasing. However, I have a question about auctions.

How is it possible to purchase a domain on a market place such as Godaddy, Sedo, Flippa etc, and then sell that very same domain on a similar market place for a profit? I understand the idea is to firstly find a healthy and attractive domain, and then grab it for a good price, but wouldn't it sell for a similar price when you come to sell it again? I'm aware that you can build an actual website around that domain to increase traffic and thus worth, but for beginners who are starting out learning the ropes, trying to flip domains for under $200, how does this even work?

Thanks in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What you paid should have nothing to do with your selling price. Each name stands on its own merits. For example, when following dropping names it’s very common to see people pick up a name and immediately price it $1500 to $4000. You have to know what your strategy is. If you want $200 a domain you need to focus on hand regs and dropping names hand regs only. Most people are aiming higher than $200. $500 seems to be a common starting point.

Ps : it takes a lot longer than 2 weeks to master what is a good name and why.

Last edited:
•••
What you paid should have nothing to do with your selling price. Each name stands on its own merits. For example, when following dropping names it’s very common to see people pick up a name and immediately price it $1500 to $4000. You have to know what your strategy is. If you want $200 a domain you need to focus on hand regs and dropping names hand regs only. Most people are aiming higher than $200. $500 seems to be a common starting point.

Ps : it takes a lot longer than 2 weeks to master what is a good name and why.

So essentially if you see a domain selling for below it's merit, and you feel you can find a buyer for it, then it's a potential purchase? By hand registering you mean purchasing a domain that is 'available' and registering it yourself? The alternative is to grab domains that are about to expire or make an offer to a current owner? lols sorry for the questions, just trying to get a firm understanding here.

•••
Hi Junglist .. and welcome to the world of domaining! :)

I think you might want to take a bit more time to get a grasp of what you want to accomplish. You're definitely right in being confused about buying a domain and then reselling it in the same market place. That is NOT something I personally would advise. What you should be doing is buying domains that will sell to END USERS ... meaning to business owners and start-ups looking for a name/brand.

That being said .. even good domainers only sell about 2% of their portfolio per year (can vary drastically depending on pricing/quality) .. so most definitely do not expect fast returns.

Otherwise you most certainly can make money in selling to other domainers .. but you need to be EXCEPTIONALLY great at buying good domains at below wholesale prices. While this is technically possible .. it really isn't a realistic goal of someone starting.

I really suggest taking a bit more time to get a better grasp of the industry .. learn more about what sorts of domains sell for $x,xxx to END USERS.

Check out the following topic for the types of domains I personally target:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/domains-you-won-at-auction-or-closeout.1050374/page-25

•••
Hi Junglist .. and welcome to the world of domaining! :)

I think you might want to take a bit more time to get a grasp of what you want to accomplish. You're definitely right in being confused about buying a domain and then reselling it in the same market place. That is NOT something I personally would advise. What you should be doing is buying domains that will sell to END USERS ... meaning to business owners and start-ups looking for a name/brand.

That being said .. even good domainers only sell about 2% of their portfolio per year (can vary drastically depending on pricing/quality) .. so most definitely do not expect fast returns.

Otherwise you most certainly can make money in selling to other domainers .. but you need to be EXCEPTIONALLY great at buying good domains at below wholesale prices. While this is technically possible .. it really isn't a realistic goal of someone starting.

I really suggest taking a bit more time to get a better grasp of the industry .. learn more about what sorts of domains sell for $x,xxx to END USERS.

Check out the following topic for the types of domains I personally target:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/domains-you-won-at-auction-or-closeout.1050374/page-25

Thanks very much for this eye-opener. I am currently reading through the 4 part topic on outbound sales. Looks like I need to make a professional email address separate from my other businesses. A quick question though, I run a Youtube channel (about to hit 200k subscribers) and it's based around education. Would it look odd if in my email signature I link to that channel and social media linked to that Youtube channel? I don't have any other social media, it's all linked to my business.

•••
Just to add, be patient. It take time, skills and bit of a luck to sell a domain with good profit, and it also take skills to buy a good investment domain. Some really good domains worth to hold for a while and wait for the right buyer. Good luck.

•••
Back