NameSilo

He Nearly Lost Everything To Win

Labeled as legal in Domain Industry News started by TauseefKhan, Feb 23, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. PoliticalVII

PoliticalVII Established Member

When you win you lose, what a story. This should be a reminder to all domainer to let go of ego and be free.

I will buy all your premium names for $1, thank you very much.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. lock

lock Traffic.tools VIP

I pay $2

3. DomainVP

DomainVP Domain Expert VIP

Is this a feel good story?

I feel bad for all parties involved; lots of money spent on both sides and not a happy resolution for either party.

They should have gone to mediation, worked out a price, and been done with it.

4. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

Exactly. Common sense isn’t always common.

5. Alessandro Couteau

Alessandro Couteau Active Member VIP

f*cking corporations ~ the greedy mentality of these founders is appalling ... If they just picked up the phone and had called the guy and offered him $1M he probably would have sold it ... But they had to f*cking sue him for 10 times that and watch this guy go through hell to get his own name ... Insane

6. offthehandle

And remember Amazon, Google, Apple, Youtube, Facebook are no different right now in their greed as they gather up more power, influence, user base, data scaping and collection, they want to dominate the world and doing a great job at it. If you have websites and cross any of them, poof... you are gone.

7. Shuttlepro

Shuttlepro Active Member VIP

He had heart to fight, it's admirable. But yes he lost everything really - as time moved on the computer market did as well...so as he said, business and his business tied to his name became basically useless. All the fees, the emotional toll....he would've done better to sell the name off for a hefty profit, forgo the court bs, and re brand himself another way with the money he gained and reground himself. Now he's left with a domain that does not have the offer initially, his business tied to it is dead, etc.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  8. JB Lions

JB Lions Lounge Gear Connoisseur VIP

Took one for the team, plus has badass name - Uzi Nissan

9. Adam27

Adam27 Blockchain.link for Sale or Lease VIP

Yup. I see this often with outsourcing SEO and PPC. A lot of companies spend more money on bad work rather than just hiring people in-house.

How this makes sense is beyond me.

Did you get a bonus? :)

That would require smart people to work at the corporate level. Rarely the case.

10. Furquah

Furquah The Captain VIP

Very sad stroy but we'll fought, the car company lost nothing, but the owner of domain lost everything.

Who the f*ck of that European domain broker, I don't think he tried anything to sell that domain to company, if he tried his best may be the person saved his lots of health, Money & offcourse time.

11. FolioTeam

FolioTeam Established Member

I know a lot of people's opinion is that he was better off selling. But I admire that he stood for what was right no matter what. I hate bullies. The fact that he took this head-on despite the several personal loses, gets a thumbs up from me.

12. BrandMart

BrandMart DomainBugle.com VIP

Well.. Looks like Domains now need additional Lawsuit insurances.

Maybe the registrars should start selling it. You never know which bigshot oil-funded mechanical-head idiot-driven scumbag-funded corporation will come for your domain and UDRP eventually drag you into a digital brawl :glasses:

13. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Active Member VIP

No, no bonus )

14. platey

platey Active Member VIP

Best article I have read in many a year

Extremely useful

15. rh2000

rh2000 Established Member

Ha! Sums it up.

16. jberryhill

jberryhill Top Member John Berryhill, Ph.d., Esq. VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Because the author's only source of information was Mr. Nissan, who is unlikely to discuss that this case was more complex than his heroic re-tellings of it.

Additionally, I have never seen a piece of protracted litigation in which the parties did not, in parallel with the proceedings, exchange confidential settlement positions. Given that Mr. Nissan at one time had volunteer lawyers working on the case, it is difficult in the extreme to believe there were not settlement discussions in which numbers were exchanged.

17. OmarVG

OmarVG Active Member VIP

Uzi Nissan deserve some respect from domainers!! Uzi did not get intimidated by a world wide car company with billions of dollars in their pocket.
    Uzi should now Raise the price of the domain to at least $ 100 Million USD. But it appears he did not want to sell his domain, and that's where he is wrong.

He should Just sell the domain for Millions and be Happy!

18. jberryhill

For what? Picking a good last name? I doubt he had anything to do with that.

He overplayed his hand and they walked away from the table.

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Leap.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

20. jberryhill

I would think so as well. I would also think that if Mr. Mani was unable to reach an agreement with them, he'd still have the domain name.

I have seen situations in which a domain registrant prevails in a UDRP and subsequently develops unreasonable ideas about what the claimant might be willing to pay to obtain the domain name. While, sure, there is a premium on prevailing in a dispute, it's not as if there is a pool of buyers for a name like nissan.com.

From the outside, we really don't know what settlement conversations there may have been along the way or what conversations may have been ongoing since. Settlement discussions during a dispute are confidential, so there's just no window into what may or may not have gone on. I have no particular insight into what went on, but it is a certainty that whatever Mr. Nissan spent on the protracted litigation, the car company likely spent more on it, and likely made their own calculation as to what has been economically rational for them.

The courts had ordered mediations for the two parties to meet and reach a settlement three times during the complete run of the case, Uzi told Jalopnik, and while the automaker’s offer increased each time, it was never enough to settle things for Uzi.

They had three court-ordered mediations. That's unusual. Notice that while Mr. Nissan told the reporter, as the docket reflects, they had mediation sessions, Mr. Nissan is silent about what numbers were exchanged.

21. BrandMart

BrandMart DomainBugle.com VIP

Looks like Mr. Nissan was either fighting for this Name-Brand or wanted even more than the un-disclosed amount of money.

22. offthehandle

The more I read this, the guy really lost. This is not an asset to anyone but him now any longer, who else would dare touch it or want to buy it? The UDRP black cloud hanging over it too for the next buyer. Here, you have one deep pockets customer only and since he was unable to arbitrate it through, lost $3 million not including his time and energy. Even if another Nissan boats or planes, etc. comes along, they wouldn’t neccesarily value it as a brand like Nissan motors, so they probably would pay less. It would be brand confusion for other Nissans as well. He could sell it to others though to spite Nissan Motors I suppose. I bet his kids or heirs sell it someday to Nissan Motors.

23. OmarVG

OmarVG Active Member VIP

Uzi Nissan kids wont even pay the renewal fee, the domain will drop, any of the dropcatch website will caught it and resell it for good money to Nissan motor company.

Uzi Nissan is a perfect story for a Harvard Business case! lol

24. offthehandle

I see, he sold it. Resolves to worldwide websites for Armani. Well, hopefully more than $2000. + $10k legal fees.

25. Jv1999

Jv1999 Learned Squire of the Tower VIP

wow priceline existed in 1999?

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: