IT.COM

information He gave away NYT.com to The New York Times for free

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
In 1994, registering a domain name was still free.
Those were the days of the pre-commercial Internet, when domain names were still viewed as exotic, and very few had the means to access them.
In 1995, the New York Times went online, and Mr. Markoff offered them domain NYT.com – for free. Surprisingly, his offer was turned down initially, opting for NYTimes.com instead...
Read More
The next year, in 1995, when The Times finally went online, I dutifully offered the nyt.com domain to the paper. To my surprise, initially The Times turned my offer down. (Do you have any idea what a three-letter domain is worth these days?) I was told that nyt.com would be confused with the internet address of New York Telephone, which still existed at the time.
About a year later one of the systems people came back to me and asked if I would give nyt.com to the paper, and I did. The deal I struck was that in exchange for the domain I would be able to continue to get mail at [email protected]...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Breaking News: The New York Times gave away NYT.com to Donald Trump for free... :-D

•••
What is news is 3L.com didn't have any value in 1995. Today this valuable 3L is still a redirect to NYTimes.com which is still much more relevant and notable to their users.
This is a great example of what an end user thinks is relevant vs what a domainer thinks is relevant.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back