IT.COM

discuss Have You Noticed The Drop In Domain Sale Prices?

NameSilo
Watch

artstar

Top Member
Impact
its pretty obvious to me but Ive see a drastic drop in domain prices in all tlds

im sure its the financial economy disaster repetition of 2008 but any other factors?

Also I see that more keyword slogan type domains sell more such as >

thedogatemyhomework.kitchen

domainingmaymakeyourich.whatever

amideluded.me

and bizaare domains like the recent sale of sweatcoin dot com just sold for around $15k.

sweatcoin? come on

whats going on??

thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry to interrupt your industry doom party but there is no drop, folks.

The prices are actually higher, especially in the mid-market: $50K to $300K. Many of these transactions are happening in crypto and/or are not being reported, and likely won't be.

Also, a lot more domains are being leased. These too go unreported. Most leases become sales later, especially when dealing with startups that are in the process of closing investment.

Last but not least, people need to understand that 40% of laptop users now use ad-blockers. Odds are very good that your parking lander is being blocked. Epik's free parking landers with SSL are not blocked.

Adjust your strategy:

- Use parking landers that look great on mobile and are not filtered by ad-blocking software.

- List domains with make offer so you get inquiries and then sell or lease as appropriate.

- For brandable names and dictionary words, start your asking price very high, approaching $100K.

- Offer buyers the option to pay in crypto if you think your buyer might be into crypto.

You're welcome.

•••
Brad, I am curious, what's your current total portfolio size? If you don't mind sharing...

I have around 6,000 domains.

Brad

•••
My inquiries and sales have been pretty steady. I am not really seeing lower prices.
Though, even if you have thousands of domains it is still a relatively small sample size.

As far as sales that make no sense, just take them with a grain of salt. You can't build a business on one-off flukes.

Brad

•••
cool so can u give an example? plus where do u sell the best?

I don't disclose the domains I sold. I value privacy of everyone strongly even if they don't request from me.
Marketplaces didn't work well for me in making more sales. Conversely I recently started to think marketplaces hurt many potential sales. Listing a domain in a marketplace may look like a kind of excess promotion. Buyers find domains only when they want and are more interested in domains which are quietly waiting to be sold. Probably those domains create a perception in buyers as if they have finally found a hidden gem. Most of my sales were inbound offers. Whenever I do outbound or promotion I fail.

•••
its pretty obvious to me but I'v see a drastic drop in domain prices in all tlds....

Little question about it and i'ts real significant decline overall (except some category dominating type of names).

IMO, much of the decline is due to incredible over-supply, i.e. why would anyone want to pay me $1,000 or whatever when Godaddy informs them they can select from a long list of exact match names in many other tlds for prices as low as a few dollars. Have lost good sales due to that happening more often than I am aware of but do know of several.

Last edited:
•••
I have tinkered with configuration of landing pages with an external domain, but I did not see any options for pricing, plans etc. Do I have to list my domain in the marketplace to be able to do that? But the marketplace says 9% fee, and that would be equal to Undeveloped and is much less interesting than the landers with Escrow.com option. Or do I miss something, could you please clarify?

To enable pricing plans, the domains have to be at Epik. External domains get for FREE:

- SSL
- Customizable landers that load fast on web and mobile
- Make Offer
- Contact Form with full disclosure of contact info of inquiring party

As for enabling Buy Now with secure escrow, share an example of what you like and we'll see what we can do there.

In case not aware, we have a very good escrow solution with the option for zero commission for domains registered at Epik and buyer pays via bank transfer. More here:

https://www.epik.com/services/escrow/

•••
I had this volume last autumn... My condolences...
Currently shortened to ~2.4K...

It works fine for me. I have had 5K+ domains for many years and it has been very profitable.
The domains were acquired over many years, so it is not like handregging 6K domains.

Brad

•••
Some people are still scared of BTC because of its high volatility.

For me, I dont want it because thats another step / transaction that I have to do (converting it to cash).

•••
Even when WHOIS was completely disclosed (prior GDPR) - I very rarely was contacted via WHOIS email.

Regarding aftermarket...
It is trending down since 2015...
Many such threads already exist.

Last edited:
•••
well in maybe in india its a thing and some new gen thinking but in my world sweat never comes to my mind to add into a domain, its bizzaro world, lol

Its not indian based startup , its uk based startup which is expanding worldwide very soon , its actually a coin earning while you walk which makes "sweatcoin" a perfect name ...

•••
AdBlocker just kills Google javascript... all other elements on page remain.

Incorrect. Check out your friendly neighborhood Sedo parking lander, for example.

See related Tweet:

https://twitter.com/EpikDotCom/status/1133040804128272385

upload_2019-6-6_17-56-23.png

There is nothing there. This is viewed through Brave with ad block running.

Also, I am getting reports that Parking Crew inquiry emails are not getting routed since weeks, so if you use that, make sure your inquiries come to your inbox.

•••
A few questions please,

Any examples of parked names I can look at?

How do you avoid ad blocking when it appears others are not able to do that?

Do you actually give https SSL to every domain? Reason I ask is Parking Crew once promoted SSL pages to me but later revealed its only for very high traffic pages which they failed to reveal up front.

Do the names need to be reg'd with Epik to park it?

See here:

https://laptopcomputers.com/

Check it with any ad blocker, or with mobile devices.

It is SSL -- the 4096-bit SSL is free with the domain. We give every domain a unique SSL. This is technology that came with the acquisition of BitMitigate.

The domains can be registered elsewhere. We just have to approve you for parking external domains.

Last edited:
•••
This is not just question of money... or question of regging/buying/dropcatching...
Health and time are necessary as well...

True, but it is not like it is really all that hard to renew domains and respond to inquiries.
It was a lot more time & effort building a portfolio than selling passively.

Brad

•••
I mostly renew via transfer... in 95-99% of cases...

Last edited:
•••
My experience and take on this is:

1. There are so many extensions and alternatives out there now. This has probably lowered the prices on “low to medium quality domain names “.

2. High quality names seems to still do as good as before. Examples of (very) high quality names are one word .com names, perfect match ccTLDs (e.g. Marihuana.es) and great “new” gTLDs such as (e.g Free.games)...

•••
hey Brad do you get many inquires thru whois? stay private or not? i find i get spammed on phone and emails constantly when i am not private.

Most of my inquiries come via parking landers, or venues like GoDaddy.

The majority of my domains have public WHOIS and I do get a lot of spammy emails and fake renewal notices.

I don't have my personal phone # on WHOIS because it gets flooded with stupid SEO, Web Design, and other scammy calls.

Brad

•••
Do you think sweatCoin is bizarre name ? Its a billion $ startup at sweatco.in , i think seller should ask 50k$ atleast for it...

•••
Conversely my domains have started to receive better offers since the last 1 year. I sold some of them without countering. I think the reason must be the higher asking prices of other sellers or inflation in USD or better expectations on economy. Domain prices are higher compared to 5 years ago. I am talking about 3-5 figure domains, not the premium domains.

•••
I think that probably "sweatcoin" succeeded because of its phonetic resemblance with "sweetcoin".
People are using these phonetic tricks.

•••
•••
a crypto earning u $ while u walk?? ive heard of this b4 where body heat = energy = $ for the donater so thats what this is then. man alive. so how do they measure your sweat to convert to $? insanity

I don't know much about it , Seller is a friend of my friend , sweatco.in owner reached him legally "we have legal rights for this domain, its our trademark" , seller negotiated and ends up at 12k GBP , seller still owns sweatcoins//com

•••
and bizaare domains like the recent sale of sweatcoin dot com just sold for around $15k.

sweatcoin? come on

whats going on??

thoughts?

Sweatcoin is an iphone app... I only know this because my brother uses it. Seller could have probably gotten a lot more.

•••
Just 1 example in .com, there are many nowadays...
Consultations for 15K EUR at Sedo...

•••
Quantity always matters...
Domaining is a volume game as well...

•••
It also depends on TLD...
For example, .me and .info aftermarket degradation is very significant...

•••
Back