IT.COM

information Have you ever done this/has it ever happened with you?

NameSilo
Watch

DnFolk

Top Member
Impact
have you ever done this ?
Both of these domains i had handregged last year in jan (2019) then the one sold at dan for 550 euro was renewed this year. Minimum i would have sold it for 999 but sold for much lesser (550 euro) because buyer told me how he and his family had got affected with corona and budget wise they are totally down and the domain could mean a lot to him so i agreed to sell for 550 euro. Have you ever done this? Selling domain for lesser than expected price to help buyer? This is not the first time i have done it and still i get great profit everytime i did this.

1589284049143.png

Has it ever happened with you?

The one sold at afternic is a failed sale of mine because i didnt renew and instead sold it on NP for $5. I tried to forward this sale to new buyer who refused and had more expectations so afternic sale was cancelled. Has this ever happened with you? Again with me this has happened number of times. But i can't help as i sell names in reseller mostly because of struggling in managing large portfolio. Many times i buy names and even forget to list those for sale or forget to do outbound. Hence every now and then i randomly reduce my portfolio through reselling to manage my portfolio better. Though eventual long term plan is to improve my management skills with increased portfolio. That discussion is for another day.

Kindly do not type any of the domains anywhere. Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I don't think so it was them, i have researched the buyer name on google and see his profile on linkedin and FB account from the same place as it was in the ip address, with this i believe the original buyer has likely flipped the domain to them. either way i should not have trusted so easily.

Buyers aren't dumb and are VERY tech savvy these days.

I myself could scrounge up an authentic looking digital footprint, with profile, email history, etc... to make it look like I was genuinely a "college student" working on a "college project".

Don't think for a second some buyers aren't doing this and using a VPN.

In 2 hours and $20 USD I could be "Greg" from Utah with the IP and social history to match.

If you are happy with a price, than so be it - but don't get hosed by the "i'm poor" nonsense.

•••
Have you ever done this? Selling domain for lesser than expected price to help buyer?
I have not done it in a major way, but have certainly offered a couple of times lower prices based on circumstances. The vast majority of cases I do not know the potential buyer, though. But yes, I tend to be a trusting person, and a terrible negotiator :xf.eek:, and would do it.
Bob

Last edited:
•••
I've received the starving student story from a couple potential buyers, and I politely told them that the price is not negotiable (or at least not to the degree that they wanted). I even offered them similar domains at more affordable prices, and offered to help them find somethin within their budget. Both times they disappeared into the abyss.

I generally am not interested in why a buyer can or cannot afford a certain price on a name. Once I have decided on my bottom line, it doesn't budge from there. If life circumstances prevent someone from affording your name, then it simply is not for them.

•••
have you ever done this ?
Both of these domains i had handregged last year in jan (2019) then the one sold at dan for 550 euro was renewed this year. Minimum i would have sold it for 999 but sold for much lesser (550 euro) because buyer told me how he and his family had got affected with corona and budget wise they are totally down and the domain could mean a lot to him so i agreed to sell for 550 euro. Have you ever done this? Selling domain for lesser than expected price to help buyer? This is not the first time i have done it and still i get great profit everytime i did this.

Nice sob story. I will try this, if I ever broker a domain ;) but I do have a slight feeling you must have countered >= $999 and when it got rejected you settled for that much... either way, you helped someone whether or, not they really needed that help, KUDOS for that!

BUT, you still sold it at a good price, for a hand reg, no matter what others say. Its a decent ROI.

If you can't even get yourself together enough manage your own portfolio of domains how are even on here representing a registrar!

His personal sales don't count towards nor represent his Employer, pretty sure, on a social platform the opinions don't represent the views of a company. That's implied: if i make an opinion from my company account, it sure stands as the views of my company if from my personal account (yet I am verified to be part of the company), it still stands as a personal opinion. But the point is you luv to make drama and attack others for no reason.

But on a separate note, I am missing your point: do you mean a company should only think about BUSINESS and not make an exception for KINDNESS during a pandemic? Similarly, I (and many of us) have offered free pentesting services worth $10k to my clients in certain niches like Healthcare tech during the pandemic and pretty sure they could have afforded it, as big healthcare firms. But its to show support to the industry during a tough phase. Would you call me incapable of making business then, that I am offering something for free?

Shame on you @DomainGist, you only know how to look for opportunities to bash people, rather than sharing sympathy and constructive opinion.

Last edited:
•••
Shame on you @DomainGist, you only know how to look for opportunities to bash people, rather than sharing sympathy and constructive opinion.

Having directed apologies on this thread twice to the OP for a being a little harsh, isn't this exactly what you are doing by dragging it back up?

Last edited:
•••
could be possible, the buyer i sold it to was from singapore and this company is based at new york, maybe he was middleman, maybe he was still right, maybe he lied as you say. I can't know. I agree one should not trust easily which i did.

and this is not about intellect or understanding, this was about trust. I did trust what he told me. I still hope he was right because i believed him and it seemed so, but i agree one should not trust so easily.
Probably an employee who just sold the domain to the company for a lot more after pitching the idea

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back